Helmet Recommendation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Helmet Recommendation?

I have never worn a helmet before but some of the trails I want to ride on require a helmet. Any recommendations? I just need a simple helmet not a full face or anything motocross style. Thanks

Bike Geek
    Mar 2005
    The two major brands are Bell and Giro. Generally you either fit well in one or the other. I am a Giro person and I have friends that can only wear Bells. What you need to do is find a bike shop that has a decent selection of helmets and go in and try some on. You will find what feels good and that will be the winner. One thing to remember is that when a helmet fits properly it covers all of your forhead to just above your eyebrows. Hope that helps.

Brew

Aug 2008
    You'll want a helmet you will forget you are wearing: Giro Ionos...;-)

mtbr member
    Definetly need a brainbucket! Like said above real important that it fits right/comfy. Try several on and ask for assistance in fitting it.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I actually started with a Giro $25 jobber and was very against spending more. I bought my wife a bike and gave her the Giro. I upgraded to a Bell Delirium and was like WOAH... finally air flow

All i can say is that it is night and day. I don't know where you live but air flow (more vents, big in front) will def make you smile.

Check out performance and try some on if there is one in your area.

P.S.
    Take off the little brim thing when you get it though.. gives you more visability and more air around your eyes especially if you ear lenses.

Good luck!!!

tom

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I started off with a basic Bell Adrenaline. I think it was about $22 or something like that. It's not too heavy and doesn't bother me even when riding 2+ hours. But I will say that I do plan to upgrade it really soon. It doesn't have the nice vent systems like the more expensive models. I really didn't notice it untl the temps climbed above 80.

aka bOb
    Everybody's melon is different, but you might want to check out Trek helmets. The best fitting helmets for myself anyway.

May 2008
    I have a Fox Flux and a Giro, the Fox is ten times the quality as the Giro. The Fox has straps that are mounted to the underside of the helmet like they should be and the Giro straps are mounted to the inside/top of the helmet lining, that makes the straps a pain in the butt, they get tangled, are hard to adjust, the helmet wiggles on your head and the straps rub on your ears and face.Giro has exposed Styrofoam on the underside and gets chipped easily, the Fox's styro is completely covered. I will never buy another Giro. The Fox is way better quality, fits great with lots of adjustment and it doesn't give you that mushroom head look.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +1 fox flux.

Honestly it's the first bike helmet i've owned. But I love it, just make sure you try a bunch on.

since 4/10/2009
    I've owned spesh, bell, and giro helmets over the years. Air flow and weight are the primary differences at each price point. Go into a store, try some on, and pick the one you like. They all will meet the same safety requirements.

local trails rider
    Try before you buy.

Get a helmet that fits: you can adjust it so it fits snugly but does not cause discomfort.

mtbr member

helmet

JensonUSA had the bell faction helmet on sale for like 9 bucks a couple of weeks ago. I have worn this helmet for a little while now and it fits very well. I like it much better than the giro I wore before that (although the giro did save me when i flew otb into the woods last year. It dented and cracked so I bought the bell.) I also like the look of the skate-styling of the faction.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Isnt that a BMX or Skaters helmet?

mtbr member
    It is styled after a skaters helmet but is more protected and is a bit bigger than a skating helmet would be. Every bike shop in my area carries them for $49.99. The air flow is probably not the greatest, but I tend not to care too much about that sort of thing. I just think its sexy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I would have to try one on to see what I look like. I like the airflow to keep my hair dry. I really do not care to look sexy on my bike unless I am riding through the hooters parking lot and some hooter chicks are outside.............

Members who have read this thread: 0