helmet recommendation- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

helmet recommendation

there are so many helmets @ so many prices... it is so confusing

the hemets listed on the product review section don't seem to correspond to what we have in Australia

my current helmet is a 8 year old Bell that is in serious need of replacing. all the cushioning is falling apart and fat and the straps are getting old.... considering how much i am riding, i would like something a bit more comfy

i noticed phantom has brand called MET that seems to be fairly popular... anyone know or have a MET....

also, i am not into the bling bling Giro.... happy to spend the $$ to have a reasonable looking helmet that protects and is comfy.....

suggestions?

Reviewer/Tester

Go...

....To your local bike shops, and try on everything you like the look of..

Only way to buy a helmet, imo.

R.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman

R.
    cool... but what have u got?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a MET 5th Element. Not cheap but an excellent helmet. This is my second as the first had to be replaced after a car forcefully introduced me to the road as I was riding along one fine day a few months back and I'm considering buying another just to have a second helmet. I've had a Giro previously which I was also very happy with and a Bell before that which I wasn't so happy with. It just didn't fit my head as well as the other two.

Mar 2004
    I`m using an Avanti Razor at the moment. Its an okay helmet for the cooler months, but last summer on some of the warmer days it really showed how lacking it was in airflow/cooling.
    My next helmet will be a Met 5th Element, not cheap (around the $299 mark), but the channeling seems to provide good airflow, and its quite light.

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by wotzapollohimalaya
    cool... but what have u got?

Uh, something light and airy..lemme see...F18 Limar..cheap junk.. but its comfy and it works ok.

I HATE helmets anywayz, but wear one coz I value my brains..

I'll update it soon, to something better. I'm rather partial to the high-end helmets because of the good airflow you get with them...lotsa holes and vents.

Tried recently to get one of the new Specialized helmets, but they are not sold here.. didnt pass the safety levels or something.. even though they are passed everywhere else in the damn world..lol..

Helmets are like bikes, you gotta try everything and read all the reviews as well to get the whole picture.

Nothing beats trying it on your own head though, coz some heads / helmets just don't mix...

R.

Jun 2004
    I'm using a Giro E2 which I'm loving, especially in summer with its great airflow ( I hate hot weather). Not cheap but fitted my head better than anything else I tried.

I have had some issues with the retaining system, but nothing a zip tie couldn't fix.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Explosif98
    I have a MET 5th Element. Not cheap but an excellent helmet. This is my second as the first had to be replaced after a car forcefully introduced me to the road as I was riding along one fine day a few months back and I'm considering buying another just to have a second helmet. I've had a Giro previously which I was also very happy with and a Bell before that which I wasn't so happy with. It just didn't fit my head as well as the other two.
    Got the same helmet, and am going to pick another up since I like it so much. Really well ventilated, great looking and top quality. I have had 3 different met helmets and think they are the best out there....

Cheers
    Trevor
    Trev!

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Since I can't afford top/high-end gear, I have a MET Crackerjack that cost AUD$78.95, much better construction, ventilation (essential in the aussie summer) and retention system. Better than my old helmet which save me alot of grief but it vented like DJ helmet. My next helmet if I don't crash soon (which means replacement Crackerjack) will be one of MET's top-end models- 5th Element (crazy venting and stiff as), Anaxagore or Anaxagore II, all in a similar price range and to me better value than Giros and better fit (for me) than Bells. How do they make all their helmets so sexy, except maybe the Testagrossa.

Absolutely correct, once you buy your 'dream' topend-end helmet and you love it and prefer not to buy anything else. Then buying the same size helmet to replace your crashed helmet will save you a bit of cash.

Also Specialized. offer some pretty good value helmets that do the job.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I've been wearing a MET Ippogrifo for the last 2 years now, and it's a great helmet. Light, well ventilated (great for summer - horrible for winter......) and ummmm yellow...... Atleast I'm easily seen in the dark......

Cheers, Dave.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunk
    I'm using a Giro E2 which I'm loving, especially in summer with its great airflow ( I hate hot weather). Not cheap but fitted my head better than anything else I tried.
    Agreed. I really like my E2, and it's served me well for quite a while. It's super comfy, but freakishly expensive on this side of the skiff. I found it very easy to fit to my head (and my noggin is peachy at best), so, if you're feeling bold, order it from somewhere Stateside like Performance or Nashbar, where it's always on sale for US$60 or so. That brings it down to less than a third of the Aussie LBS price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Helmets

I've just got a new MET 5th E (arrived today) to replace my 4 year old MET Parabellum. They have the best head retention device on the market currently (IMHO), the Gyros are also very good.

The downside to bringing in your own helmet, without Aust Std sticker, is that it leaves open the possiblity of insurance cover invalidation. Many race promoters will not allow you to race in a non-stickered helmet as it leaves them open to litigation.

Chris @ The Bike Shed

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

MET 5th

Rode with my new MET for the first time today, It is the best fitting helmet I have ever worn (Gyro AIr Stryke/Ventoux/E2, MET Parrabellum/Anaxagorre, Haro Fullface, 661 Full Bravo Carbon).

I have to say I really like it

Chris @ The Bike Shed

Mar 2004
    tried on the MET 5th Element today.... found it a bit weird with the retension system going all the way around your head and the release on the back was a bit fiddly... oh and, i wasn't too keen on the styling......... also it cost $299

I tried on the Giro E2... it was OK, not as good as i would have of expected for a $250 helmet... looked more normal than the MET.... thought the Roc Loc4 system was a bit flimsy considering the price... i was expecting the pads to be special but ended up seeming like ?? pads

I still got my Bell Vertigo helmet, it has served me well over the last 8 years BUT the pads are falling apart... structurally it is fine and straps are still 100%

I am keen to try some Bell helmets, namely the X-Ray and Commuter one...

Reviewer/Tester

Met.

Got my new Met 5th Element and i'm happy as a pig in mud..

Incredible venting, feels waaaaay cooler than my old Limar.

Fit is excellent, easy to adjust, and the helmet feels light and very secure.

Gave it a run yesterday on the road as well as in the scrub, and it worked well. Saved me from a whack on the head by a low-hanging branch, actually..

I like it.

R.

Mar 2004
    Got my new Met 5th Element and i'm happy as a pig in mud..

Incredible venting, feels waaaaay cooler than my old Limar.

Fit is excellent, easy to adjust, and the helmet feels light and very secure.

Gave it a run yesterday on the road as well as in the scrub, and it worked well. Saved me from a whack on the head by a low-hanging branch, actually..

I like it.

R.
    thanks for all the help guys

one thing i learnt was that you just need to find a helmet that fits well, and that you are happy with the look of it and $$ of it

i ended up settling for a MET Olfo??

looks exactly like the one above

Mar 2004

one thing i learnt was that you just need to find a helmet that fits well, and that you are happy with the look of it and $$ of it

oh yeah, i paid $115 for it

i gotta commend blackman cycles... specifically graham who knows his stuff

again, bike barn parra has continued to spin BS.... i asked about a helmet and all he said was "looking at your head size and shape, you'll need an expensive helmet, around $250-$300..." only interested in selling the 5th element and the E2... personally, i didn't find either of these fitted as well as my Met Zolfo

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Specialized enduro pro

im currently using the specialized enduro pro helmets! and i reckon it rocks! i use t duringthe summer time cos of the big cooling vents but during the winter im just using a sixsixone dirt lid.. cheap for 45 bucks and its real comfy.

but the specialized fits rally well thanks to that braintrust spring retension system!

just my 2c

ktd

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DAvo
    im currently using the specialized enduro pro helmets! and i reckon it rocks! i use t duringthe summer time cos of the big cooling vents but during the winter im just using a sixsixone dirt lid.. cheap for 45 bucks and its real comfy.

but the specialized fits rally well thanks to that braintrust spring retension system!

just my 2c
    My partner has the Specialized Enduro Pro and loves the ventilation and harness system. It sit high on the head and has plenty of room for air to flow through. He had difficulty getting a good fit with the Mets (big head!).

I've recently got a Met Sfero - which lasted about 6 weeks - doh! Got a replacement - which took too long (10 working days). I like the Sfero. I don't have a particularly sweaty head and it's heaps more airy and lighter than my older helmet.

mtbr member

Wanna buy a new MET Zolfo for $90, blue 15 vents Only 270grams Uni-size - 54/61cm. email me [email protected]

mtbr member
    hey i see that many pros are riding road helmets for XC racing. I'm in the market for a new helmet that I can use on my road bike and mtb. i'm considering the Met Stradivarius and Giro Atmos.

Anyone tell me why it is a dumb idea to get a road helmet for mtb ??

cheers
    sp00kme

Apr 2004
    Maybe I'm a little late chiming in on this one but what the hell..........

My head has a circumference of 61.5cm = f*****g big head

The Specialized helmets fit me really well. I'm currently using a King Cobra which looks awesome, has great ventilation (not that it does much with my long hair), and the tension adjustable Brain Trust retention system is awesome. It's exceptionally light (lighter than the Bell Image Pro I used to have) and the shell is inmolded at the top & bottom for better strength & structural integrity, which means better protection for your melon.

Catch ya's later.......Joe

Oct 2004

Giro E2

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 2004 E2 for about $150. Normal rrp is closer to $250-$280.

Overall it's a very sweet helmet. Fits beautifully, very secure & stable on the scone, the visor hinge thing is funky, strap system doesn't bother me and they seem to have addressed the strap issues of previous models. Airflow is very, very good.

However, if I was in the market for a new helmet I simply couldn't justify paying full price for one of these. You pay a lot less for a helmet with very similar - if not superior - safety standards. The build quality may not be quite as good but is still perfectly adequate.

I think the Met sounds like it fits the bill, that's what I'd buy if I was in the market. The Giro is simply too expensive. It might be different if I was looking to buy a full-face helmet.

Enjoy your riding.

jam
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    there are so many helmets @ so many prices... it is so confusing

the hemets listed on the product review section don't seem to correspond to what we have in Australia

my current helmet is a 8 year old Bell that is in serious need of replacing. all the cushioning is falling apart and fat and the straps are getting old.... considering how much i am riding, i would like something a bit more comfy

i noticed phantom has brand called MET that seems to be fairly popular... anyone know or have a MET....

also, i am not into the bling bling Giro.... happy to spend the $$ to have a reasonable looking helmet that protects and is comfy.....

suggestions?
    Specialized Decibel. Great helmet.