Helmet reccomendations

Printable View

  • 05-01-2009
    Sneaker_Geek
    Helmet reccomendations
    I'm Looking for helmet with a chin strap. If that even exist? I like the Giro Hex style, but looking for any reco. Thanks.
  • 05-01-2009
    rabidchicken
    Chin strap? I think all helmets come with a strap and buckle. I am on my second Hex and would buy a third. It is a great fitting helmet and has saved my head once already.
  • 05-01-2009
    Twenty Times
    chin strap like a football helmet?
  • 05-01-2009
    Sneaker_Geek
    Yea, like a strap on a football helmet, but on a bike helmet of course.
  • 05-01-2009
    Ken in KC
    Why?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sneaker_Geek
    Yea, like a strap on a football helmet, but on a bike helmet of course.

    1st, why?

    Get a football chin strap, cut slits in bothends, thread the straps of your bike helmet through it. You've got a chin strap.

    If I see you on the trail, I'll laugh.
  • 05-01-2009
    Sneaker_Geek
    Thought it be comfortable.
  • 05-01-2009
    boomn
    I find a the little buckle on a bike helmet much more comfortable than the football helmet style. Those chin things acted like a cup and collected the sweat on my chin, didn't ventilate well, and always ended up smelling funny. My Cascade lacrosse helmet was a lot better though, but still more restrictive and less comfortable than a bike helmet

    A football helmet needs to be anchored stronger to take direct frontal hits over and over, so they use that chin strap to anchor it from pushing back on your head. A bike helmet doesn't have this problem.
  • 05-01-2009
    Sneaker_Geek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by boomn
    I find a the little buckle on a bike helmet much more comfortable than the football helmet style. Those chin things acted like a cup and collected the sweat on my chin, didn't ventilate well, and always ended up smelling funny. My Cascade lacrosse helmet was a lot better though, but still more restrictive and less comfortable than a bike helmet

    A football helmet needs to be anchored stronger to take direct frontal hits over and over, so they use that chin strap to anchor it from pushing back on your head. A bike helmet doesn't have this problem.

    Good advice... I'm talked out of it. I'll go for this fox helmet I found for like 60 bucks. Whatta you guys think. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=215%20FOXFL8
  • 05-01-2009
    boomn
    That is a nice helmet:thumbsup:

    I don't own one but have tried them on before. They seem to extend further down in the back or around the back than the average XC helmet which creates a nice snug feeling like its surrounding your head more not just sitting on top
  • 05-01-2009
    Finch Platte
    Don't overlook the Bell Influx. MTBR reviews of it are here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...56_126crx.aspx

    You can find these for a good price (I think Nashbar might have them on sale).

    I had one & loved it. It was getting old & I got a killer deal on a Giro at REI, otherwise I would have gotten a new Influx, no bout adoubt it.

    fp

    Bicycle Warehouse has the '07s for $40: http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdeta...te=google_base
  • 05-01-2009
    rabidchicken
    The only thing that turned me off from the Flux was the "spoiler". It just looked dumb to me.
  • 05-01-2009
    frdfandc
    I like the Hex. It will probably be my next mountain helmet.

    Right now I'm using the Bell Slant for mountain and the Bell Sweep R for road, but I might use it for mountain also.


    But your best bet is to head down to your LBS and try on several. Some helmets fit and some don't even when coming from the same manufacturer.
  • 05-02-2009
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rabidchicken
    The only thing that turned me off from the Flux was the "spoiler". It just looked dumb to me.

    Ok, that's dum. Dee ewe emm dum.
  • 05-02-2009
    OMJustice
    1 Attachment(s)
    I just ordered the Giro Xen. Nice looking helmet. Looks to have good coverage for the back of the head.
  • 05-02-2009
    rabidchicken
    Nice looking pattern too!
  • 05-02-2009
    OMJustice
    I just ordered the Giro Xen. Nice looking helmet. Looks to have good coverage for the back of the head.
  • 05-03-2009
    Sneaker_Geek
    The Xen looks good. I thought it was the Hex I liked, but the Xen is the one I seen before. I'll either go with the Fox Flux or the Giro Xen. Thanks a lot guys.
  • 05-03-2009
    chuckie33
    I bought a Fox Flux last summer and absolutely love it. Very comfortable and good looking too. I like the extra coverage it has on the side and back.
  • 05-03-2009
    4JawChuck
    None of those helmets have any bling, I prefer my helmet to have some pizzazzzzzz!



    Its practical too, the spinners generate free electricity for my lighting system. There are also awesome sparkler attachments for nightriding!

    BoooYah!:D
  • 05-04-2009
    dana109
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Don't overlook the Bell Influx. MTBR reviews of it are here: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...56_126crx.aspx

    You can find these for a good price (I think Nashbar might have them on sale).

    I had one & loved it. It was getting old & I got a killer deal on a Giro at REI, otherwise I would have gotten a new Influx, no bout adoubt it.

    fp

    Bicycle Warehouse has the '07s for $40: http://bicyclewarehouse.com/itemdeta...te=google_base

    I agree. The influx is a great helmet for the price.
  • 05-04-2009
    nagatahawk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sneaker_Geek
    Good advice... I'm talked out of it. I'll go for this fox helmet I found for like 60 bucks. Whatta you guys think. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=215%20FOXFL8

    that is a absolutely great helmet!!

    I bought the one the first year it was released and it saved my life. Cracked helmet liner, concussion but I'm alive!!!

    Re spoiler: When I crashed it broke off. It probably has no function, but may duct air out of the helmet at speed. The spoiler does give the helmet a different look. When I first started wearing it, people kept giving me a double take, and I knew it wasn't me!! LOL!

    The flux has a great fit and finish. I'm on my second Flux. and probably will stick to it in the future.
    60 bucks is a great deal on this helmet! I got the black camo, looks super cool!
  • 05-04-2009
    Shazman
    I have the Giro Hex and love it...It takes in tons of air...fits great...and sucks up water. That Fox helmet looks sweet too...Maybe next time
  • 05-05-2009
    aaron04
    I bought a Fox Flux helmet for myself and my wife a Giro, the Fox is by far superior to the Giro. The Giro's straps dig in your face and ears no matter how much I try to adjust them, they mount inside the helmet so the helmet wiggles around constantly. The straps on the Giro are always getting tangled up and make it a pain to put on, the rear ratcheting adjuster is a turd and the lower half of the foam is exposed. The Fox helmet's straps mount to the underside of the helmet not the inside, the rear adjuster is very easy to operate, the foam is covered entirely and the straps are very comfortable. I bought the Fox on chainlove for for $35, the Giro was $65, I'm going to trash the Giro as soon as I find another super deal on the Fox.
  • 05-05-2009
    dana109
    I had a cheap old Giro Indicator for years and I recently bought a new Bell Influx when i fel and broke my odl Giro. I thought even the low end Giro was really comfy.
  • 05-06-2009
    Mai
    +1 Xen
  • 05-07-2009
    lookin
    I'll have to wait another 6 months or so for a Giro Athlon (as Giro will have to remake it for our purposes). The Xen does not even make it to my land because it does not meet the safety standards. Apparently our safety standards require multiple impact survival integrity and most safety standard testing allows the helmet to be replaced with a completely new model for each subsequent impact! I am glad we have such good safety standards but it p!sses me off that Giro take so long to improve their helmets to meet our standards. It would be simpler if there was a global standard that was a high standard.

    Otherwise I think Giro are the best looking and most comfortable helmets for sure. Most other brands tend to have more intense pressure points. I understand that the Athlon (as does the road going Ionos which is available) has greater (ie lower) coverage than the previous E2 (and Atmos).