helmet questions (fuller coverage)- Mtbr.com

Oct 2004

helmet questions (fuller coverage)

I have searched and read several threads about helmets, but I did not find what I was looking for.

My work schedule is about to change which means more solo rides for me in the woods. I was considering getting a fuller coverage helmet (skate style) for a little added insurance when I am out in the woods alone. Here are my questions:

1. Do the fuller coverage helmets offer more protection, or is a style thing (in other words, are they really fuller coverage)? I am currently riding witha specialized helmet that I like.

2. Now that the semi is discontinued, what are some other good options? The pro-tec ace series, the bell faction, the bell scuffle, any others?

Thanks for your advice.

GF
    Last edited by Greenfix; 05-07-2006 at 07:23 AM.

local trails rider
    The "All Mountain" crowd has been looking for a cross between XC and full-face helmets. Things like MET Parachute, Giro Switchblade and a helmet by Casco have some promising features but availablility is not good (I think the Giro is discontinued and the MET is not exported to USA due to liability concerns).

Skateboard helmets do come lower in the neck but the face is still open.

mtbr member
    One of bike mags(dirt Rag ?) recently reviewed the SixSixOne Dirt Lid helmet and really liked it. Don't know if this is what you are looking for but looks good for $20.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=444

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    ...2. Now that the semi is discontinued, what are some other good options?...
    While the Semi is gone the Cloud 9 snow helmet it was based on is still in production.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Safety is #1!!! I am forced to wear a full face helmet because I suffered tramatic brain injury in a car accident a few years ago. ANY contact with my head is painful and any blow to my head has the possibility of being fatal. SO my point, I was using a 661 lid until it was stolen, now I have a specialized deviant which is lighter and ALOT COOLER. It is full of large vents. FYI incase you are considering a FF.

By "skate style" I assume you mean the harder shell variety? These seem to not necessarily have more coverage on your head than a conventional helmet; my impression was that they're more durable for "minor" hits. The attraction being not having to replace it as often, baring a particularly gnarly crash.

Having gone through three helmets in the last 8 months, I have a lot of faith in mid-price Giros. They've done the job keeping my blood off the rocks, and well.

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    By "skate style" I assume you mean the harder shell variety? These seem to not necessarily have more coverage on your head than a conventional helmet; my impression was that they're more durable for "minor" hits. The attraction being not having to replace it as often, baring a particularly gnarly crash.

Having gone through three helmets in the last 8 months, I have a lot of faith in mid-price Giros. They've done the job keeping my blood off the rocks, and well.
    They do cover more of the head. Come down further on the sides and back. I had a crash a couple months ago where I fell back after hitting the ground. Hit the back of my head on a log. The Giro Semi ("skate style") I was wearing took the hit. If I had been wearing a "bike" style helmet like my Bell X Ray the log would have slipped under the back edge. Even the Zen does not cover as much as a Semi. The Semi sits lower than the bottom of the head clamps used in most helmets - and does not need one to keep it on your head.
    mtbtires.com

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttymtbr
    Safety is #1!!! I am forced to wear a full face helmet because I suffered tramatic brain injury in a car accident a few years ago. ANY contact with my head is painful and any blow to my head has the possibility of being fatal. SO my point, I was using a 661 lid until it was stolen, now I have a specialized deviant which is lighter and ALOT COOLER. It is full of large vents. FYI incase you are considering a FF.

I have the carbon 661 but my next helmet is the Deviant....more cooler
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Semi sits lower than the bottom of the head clamps used in most helmets - and does not need one to keep it on your head.
    Neato. Learn something new ever'day. Certainly seems like a good idea for some folks. Do you find the hard plastic to be more "durable" as per above? Or if their another virtue to these things I'm missing? I'm thinking of how many "soft: impacts and scratches my kayaking helmet has in the last year or so, and how my cycling helmet would not have come out well from such abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Neato. Learn something new ever'day. Certainly seems like a good idea for some folks. Do you find the hard plastic to be more "durable" as per above? Or if their another virtue to these things I'm missing? I'm thinking of how many "soft: impacts and scratches my kayaking helmet has in the last year or so, and how my cycling helmet would not have come out well from such abuse.
    The Semi is made just like most bike helmets. Has a thin plastic in-molded shell over foam. Much lighter than the ABS hard shell skate helmets.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    shiver me timbers, you will love the deviant when you get it!! Spring for the carbon if you have the change.

Oct 2004
    Thanks for everyone's responses.

By "skate style" I was just using the same marketing monniker that a lot of the companies use. All I meant was the style that comes down lower in the back, without the Vent wings that adorn most other bicycle helmets.

Shiggy have you modded one of those Giro nine helmets for mountain use. I would imagine you need to remove some of the insulation they put on there for snow sports. Is it pretty straight forward?

I may check out the 661 lid. I am not looking for a full face, though I can understand the attraction.

Thanks again,

GF

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    ...Shiggy have you modded one of those Giro nine helmets for mountain use. I would imagine you need to remove some of the insulation they put on there for snow sports. Is it pretty straight forward?...
    I have not but I have tried on the Cloud 9. Fits exactly like the Semi.

The differences are the C9 has the removable ear covers, removable plugs for the vents, fleece padding on the chin strap, and a snap strap on the back to hold your goggle strap.
    mtbtires.com

Oct 2004
    Thanks Shiggy. I'll check that out.

GF

34N 118W

Rip?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Giro Semi ("skate style") I was wearing took the hit.
    did it survive? I know yours is "modified". I have a Giro Semi in the garage, never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    did it survive? I know yours is "modified". I have a Giro Semi in the garage, never use it.
    It did survive. It was a unmodified one. I have six.
    mtbtires.com

Members who have read this thread: 0