Helmet question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet question

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Helmet question

I am a nooby. I have been riding since March. I was out on the trail today great weather, leaves all over the trail, couldn't see the root. Over a root, could see the rock, OTB pretty hard fortunately no injuries or damage to my bike. Can't say the same for my helmet. My helmet has a good couple of dents and is scraped up. Banged the back of my helmet on rocks under the leaves. I've got a couple of dents about a 1/4" deep in my helmet, fortunatley not my skull. How do you know when you need a new helmet?

turtles make me hot
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to replace any helmet after any impact that leaves dents... Don't quote me on that, though.
    Think of it this way... Is your head worth another 50 bucks?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It is done. Any visible damage makes this a certainty. Helmet manufacturers all state that any hard hit should retire a helmet even is you can't see damage. It's kind of like a climbing rope which are rated for the number of full falls they can protect you from before you retire it. But climbers don't suffer many falls of that magnitude but many smaller ones. Climbers have to judge when to retire safety stuff. I usually retire my helmets after two good seasons where they will hit low branches, get dropped on pavement during a clumsy moment get roughed up in transport in the car. And they get a little too funky after while too. I know a number of people who have suffered career ending head injuries to be thrifty on helmets.

Always in the wrong gear
    The hard-line that helmet makers will give you says : "If the helmet hit the ground with your head inside it, replace the helmet."

I say "If your helmet hit the ground with your head in it hard enough that you don't jump right up after (or there is any visible damage to the helmet- even just a cracked visor), replace the helmet.

Subtle difference, I know.
    I've crashed and only after I take if off at the end of the ride did I realize that my helmet had mud/dirt suffs/leaves on it from the event. I don't replace my helmet.

I've had a crash or three that I hit hard enough to 'feel' the impact, and did the 'head-shake and take 2 seconds to stand up" maneuver. I replace those helmets.
    Again, if anything broke in the crash, even the visor, replace the helmet. I actually hit a low branch hard enough once that I seriously considered replacing the lid.

Edited to address the OP question: Yes you absolutely need a new helmet.

Personal opinion: I have a Kali Protectives Chakra Plus and really really like it. I will definitely buy another one when my current one sacrifices itself valiantly on the rocks for my noggin's sake.

mtbr member
    I agree with the others if you can see damage or hit your head that rung your bell... better safe then sorry. But this brings up another question for me and others as well I'm sure. Of course you will have to try them on to see what feels best but what helmets would you all recommend for trail riding/xc type of riding? I've used giro and bell in the past and loved my giro but I'm not stuck on any brand as long as they offer decent protection at a reasonable price point... say between $50 to $100. I would also like something that has a little more protection in the rear of the helmet and I am looking for me and my kids. Thanks!
    Last edited by MadPainterGrafx; 10-27-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added a question.

turtles make me hot
    My sons and I all wear Fox Flux. Great back of the head protection.
    I like turtles

Graveyard Shift
    Definitely retire it.

My favourite helmet is the iXS Trail RS. It's just a fantastic helmet. Simply the best imho and among the mid-range of helmet prices.

If I'm being really honest though, I think something like the Giro Feature makes the most sense precisely because helmets are not multi-use protective gear, at least not when it comes to actually protecting your cranium from impacts. It's perhaps not as fully-featured as a more expensive helmet but it's well-designed, it does what it's meant to do, it's moderately light, and it's a great value.

I'd rather crash, get up, go home, and buy a new Giro Feature than I would crash, get up, go home, and buy a new POC Race. My wallet will thank me, my brain won't know the difference.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    I have been looking at the Giro Feature, Fly Freestone, Specialized Vice, the Fox Flux, and a few others that I can't remember what they are but that's the type I am looking for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    OP, Definately get a new lid. I got a Bontrager XC on closeout when I bought my bike for $40. Clicker adjustment strap, fits good, lots of vents and comfortable. Shop around for deals.
    I recently picked up one of these for late fall/winter riding when less venting is desirable.
    SixSixOne Dirt Lid Helmet Reviews - Mtbr.com
    Covers more of the back of the head too. Hell, I may try one of my motorcycle helmets when it's really cold! Might be nice to have a visor keeping the snow out of my eyes.