Helmet question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet question

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Helmet question

I am curious about what helmets are actually comfortable/practical. I have a few listed below that I am looking at but I am not sure what I will need for All mountain/ light down hill riding. Should I get a full face? Any feed back would be helpful. This is not an area I want to skimp on.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7732653

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...1178/17883?g=1

http://www.seisports.com/?,browse,20,90,41,020502

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=1
    Last edited by TCXJWAGONEER; 02-14-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er. SS and Rigid.
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

beautiful jackass
    Wear whichever one you like the best. A cross-country helmet and a BMX style helmet will offer pretty much the same protection.

A full-face will most likely not be necessary in all situations but it offers the most protection. I have one but it's an alternative helmet and I've only felt inclined to wear it a handful of times over a four year span. Unless you're going to be doing all-out downhill / freeride, you probably won't need it most of the time.

I'd choose between the BMX style and the cross-country style. Just pick the one that matches your style and budget.
    Last edited by one incredible donkey; 02-15-2009 at 12:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, the problem with "cheaper" helmets is they are not really intended for mountain bike riding but more for cruisers. When I first started riding I was using a Trek helmet that cost around $40.00, 1 year later I was told my helmet would not protect me if I were to take a big hit in the trail. This is due to lack of internal reinforcement. On some higher end helmets they also have Kevlar reinforcement. Also, with my personal experience the cheaper helmets have crappy air flow and are not very comfortable.

IMO, I would stick with a helmet intended for mountain biking and would look to pay around $100.00

I recently purchased the 2009 Fox Flux, the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I have owned. It was around $100.00

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...TB/FoxHelm.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the info man.
    Over the years I have a taken a few head shots and been in the hospital twice due to head injuries so I really wanted to make sure I got something that is going to protect my soft melon.

Tommy
    2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er. SS and Rigid.
    Upgrades:
    Z Sette Post
    Z Sette Stumpy
    Azonic Strip Bar
    Surely Rear rim

aka bOb
    Helmets are very personal, everybody's head is a different size and shape. Look for fit and a good quality suspension. There are a lot of good helmets for between $50 and $100 that will protect your melon well. I am not sure if there is an actual protection difference between mountain and road helmets like stated above but I have seen a lot of off road racers using road helmets and I wouldn't be afraid to That being said the Trek helmets work really well for me.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    There is no protection difference between the $20 walmart helmet and the $200 "mountain bike" helmet unless said $200 mountain bike helmet is a full face. They all pass the same tests and if one were to pass extra testing I have a hard time believing we wouldn't hear about it in the advertising.

There is a comfort and fit difference, however. And the fit difference can make a protection difference since it won't be sliding around and you're more likely to wear it.

I too budget $50-$100 for a helmet and typically get last years $130-150 model for ~$65. You don't want to go too many years back since XC type helmets are designed for a 5yr lifespan even if you don't wack your noggin.

I'd steer away from the skate lids only because I've heard they can be unbearably hot when mountain biking.

Otherwise Bell, Giro, Trek, Specialized, etc. all make good helmets; find the one that fits your head the best. My favorite is a Giro Hex and it tends to cover a hair bit more of the back of your head than some of the other XC and road helmets.

Probably drunk right now

^^False Information^^

Quote Originally Posted by Evo.
    Well, the problem with "cheaper" helmets is they are not really intended for mountain bike riding but more for cruisers. When I first started riding I was using a Trek helmet that cost around $40.00, 1 year later I was told my helmet would not protect me if I were to take a big hit in the trail. This is due to lack of internal reinforcement. On some higher end helmets they also have Kevlar reinforcement. Also, with my personal experience the cheaper helmets have crappy air flow and are not very comfortable.

IMO, I would stick with a helmet intended for mountain biking and would look to pay around $100.00

I recently purchased the 2009 Fox Flux, the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I have owned. It was around $100.00

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k...TB/FoxHelm.jpg

This is false information. All helmets in the US have to comply with the same safety rating.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ]
    Where do you get that information? Cite a study. CPSC sets safety standards which all brands have to meet. All helmets are tested for low speed impacts, even motorcycle helmets are tested around 30-40 mph. Helmets are only good for one impact. You shouldn't even drop them from height of a table.

No helmet is guaranteed to protect you from a big hit on the trail. Statistics show that they will prevent or reduce head injury around 50 percent of the time. Good enough for me, I have a $50 Giro and wear it all the time.

You are right about cheaper helmets and comfort and air flow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member

Sorry...

I apologize for “false” information. I was sharing information that I received from a bike shop, not my LBS. I wasn’t tiring to give false information but only help.

Reading all the replies, I personally would have an issue using a $30 helmet for downhill / freeride MTB.

Powered by Veggies
    I am not by any means a bicycle helmet expert, but I am an expert on motorcycle helmets. I worked for an importer of helmets at one point, and did custom fittings for another manufacturer.I believe Evo's opinion is 100% correct.
    In order to sell a motorcycle helmet it must pass the minimum standards from the DOT and a manufacturer could elect to go for what most consider the tougher SNELL test*. But imagine that 100% is the greatest helmet score possible, if passing is a 65% is the helmet that passes with a 65% score as good as a helmet that could pass with a 100% score.
    The issue is passing the minimum standards does not make your helmet as safe as one which could pass the standards if the standards were made tougher.
    * Some consider the DOT test to be a more realistic and safer test. I am not one of them.

Probably drunk right now

Not correct...

Quote Originally Posted by RichBeBe
    I am not by any means a bicycle helmet expert, but I am an expert on motorcycle helmets. I worked for an importer of helmets at one point, and did custom fittings for another manufacturer.I believe Evo's opinion is 100% correct.
    In order to sell a motorcycle helmet it must pass the minimum standards from the DOT and a manufacturer could elect to go for what most consider the tougher SNELL test*. But imagine that 100% is the greatest helmet score possible, if passing is a 65% is the helmet that passes with a 65% score as good as a helmet that could pass with a 100% score.
    The issue is passing the minimum standards does not make your helmet as safe as one which could pass the standards if the standards were made tougher.
    * Some consider the DOT test to be a more realistic and safer test. I am not one of them.
    Bike helmets have to meet a pass/fail safety standard.

mtbr member
    removed post...

aka bOb
    I am in no way a helmet expert, but even if there is different percentages in safety standards who is to say that the more expensive helmets rank higher in testing. I have never seen the passing percentage of a certain helmet listed anywhere. Maybe the price just reflects how fancy it is.

Powered by Veggies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Bike helmets have to meet a pass/fail safety standard.
    Reread my post. I said there is a minimum to pass fail. But just like on any exam you could pass with flying colors or pass by the skin of your teeth. Which helmet do you want on your head if it hits something?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    what you get from a more expensive helmet is better fit/ more adjustability and cooler graphics. Other than that the helemt is foam with a thin plastic shell, sometimes a little carbon or kevlar but still a thin plastic shell , as far as protection they are pretty much the same. The fox Flux mentioned earlier is a bit more protection because they combined BMX and MTB style and it covers more of the back of your head.
    I would recomend going to several shops and trying different brands on because the biggest difference will be how they fit, once you find a couple that fit right look for the best version they make and buy last years model, usually about 1/2 off 9 times out of 10 the only difference is the colors

Probably drunk right now

Reread my post...

Reread my post. I said there is a minimum to pass fail. But just like on any exam you could pass with flying colors or pass by the skin of your teeth. Which helmet do you want on your head if it hits something?
    With bike helmets, there is no rating. Just a pass/fail. The helmet either passes or it doesn't pass. There's no such thing as an A+ to C- range. It's pass or fail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Maybe I'm cynical, but since it is a pass/fail system, what incentive is there for the manufacturer to go above and beyond the minimum standard, and cut into their profit. If anyone went way above the minimum standard, it would be reflected in their marketing.

Powered by Veggies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    With bike helmets, there is no rating. Just a pass/fail. The helmet either passes or it doesn't pass. There's no such thing as an A+ to C- range. It's pass or fail.
    Once again to say all helmets are equal because they all pass is incorrect.
    I did a bit of research and it appears that the current standard is that failure threshold is 300 g. If a helmet transfer 299 g it passes, if another passes 84 g it passes. They both reached the minimum. But I know which i would want on my head in a crash.
    Even if the data is not released, a manufacturers might release their own information, or you might trust their reputation. Of course you could get screwed because the data is not public.
    But to say that all helmets that pass a minimum test are the same is incorrect.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    Maybe I'm cynical, but since it is a pass/fail system, what incentive is there for the manufacturer to go above and beyond the minimum standard, and cut into their profit. If anyone went way above the minimum standard, it would be reflected in their marketing.
    There isn't, that's the point. They all meet the same safety standard and as far as we know the $10 Walmart helmet may well pass with more margin. As far as I can tell there is no way for the consumer to know (other than it passed). More expensive helmets are more expensive because it costs more in materials and research to make a helmet that's lighter with more vents that still passes. That's what you are buying.

I'd be all for a grading system though.

Probably drunk right now

Rereread my post...

Once again to say all helmets are equal because they all pass is incorrect.
    I did a bit of research and it appears that the current standard is that failure threshold is 300 g. If a helmet transfer 299 g it passes, if another passes 84 g it passes. They both reached the minimum. But I know which i would want on my head in a crash.
    Even if the data is not released, a manufacturers might release their own information, or you might trust their reputation. Of course you could get screwed because the data is not public.
    But to say that all helmets that pass a minimum test are the same is incorrect.

Pass or fail. That's all the information we get.

All helmets aren't the same. All helmets pass the same pass/fail safety test.

mtbr member
    idk i went to sports authority and found a helmet that i liked the look and (i think i tried it on it was a while ago so i dont remember) fit of, i sthink i spent 70 or 80 dollars on it, just make sure that you get one with plenty of vents otherwise you will never want to wear it on the trail
    I cant spell deal with it! :D

Suffers From Binge Biking
    FWIT, I paid $30 for my xc helmet and don't have a problem with it.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Copied from the "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute".....

"The higher priced helmets have big vents, but no verifiable advantage in impact performance. A helmet with less liner foam must have denser foam, a disadvantage in lesser impacts. You can pay more than $200 if you want to, but Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us and other discounters have models that meet the same CPSC impact standard at an everyday price of $10."

More expensive helmets may be less protective than the low priced models.

I will still go for the fit, comfort and venting of a few middle to upper end models.

iRonic
    Here's a question.

If you bounce your head off the shed door frame (because you forgot to duck coming out ), is the helmet toast?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Guess that depends on your comfort level with risk. Helmets are intended for one impact, like I said earlier, you shouldn't even drop a helmet from table height without having it inspected or replaced.

I do not replace my helmet after every bump, or every time I crash and tap my head. I'll inspect my helmet after a crash for any visible damage, and listen for anything that sounds like there are loose pieces of foam. If not, I'll keep using it. I've taken some hits hard enough to see stars, but haven't loss consciousness with my current helmets. I realize there is likely internal damage I cannot see which reduces their effectiveness, but it is a risk I am comfortable with. I can't afford to replace a helmet every time I crash.

My ski helmet is more beat up than my bike helmet from hitting gates. I've taken a few really hard crashes with this helmet, once landing on my head during a race and ended up being dizzy with a headache the rest of the day. Time for a new one.

Clear as mud?

iRonic
    So, I should buy a new one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You might want a full face for maximum doorway protection. Anything less would be suicide. And goggles too.

iRonic
    Good idea!

Might have to get some body armor for those extreme down-the-stairway excursions, too!

mtbr member
    Anyone else think that is a flaw in helmet safety? All bike helmets have the same pass / fail rating?

What since does it make that a Childs helmet has the same pass / fail as an adult downhill racer?

IMO seems strange to me… You won’t catch me in a $10 wal-mart helmet doing downhill / freeride…

aka bOb
    Anyone else think that is a flaw in helmet safety? All bike helmets have the same pass / fail rating?

What since does it make that a Childs helmet has the same pass / fail as an adult downhill racer?

IMO seems strange to me… You won’t catch me in a $10 wal-mart helmet doing downhill / freeride…
    I am sure hoping my child helmet has as good or better protection as the one I am wearing, I take it you don't have children. I would think the pass/fail testing system is for normal use not for bombing down a mountain with rocks wide open. I guess what I am getting at there is no failsafe testing but using a little common sense to protect your own mellon would be wise. This type of testing is used in a lot of things we use daily including that 70 mph 4 wheel death trap you get in daily. That being said, yes it would be nice to see how each helmet is ranked in the safety testing, but that is usually left to independent testing.
    Last edited by bdundee; 02-16-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Braaaapp!
    As others have said, with only a pass/fail system it's impossible to rank helmets by the amount of safety they provide.

I'm trying to find a link. About a year ago in one of the many helmet threads/arguments on a motorcycle forum somone posted a link to a document that showed which brands/models had passed and failed SNELL testing (maybe it was DOT, but I think it was SNELL). It was very interesting. Some big-name, high dollar models failed, while polycarbonate shelled cheapies passed. And vice versa.

So just saying "I'm going to buy brand 'X' because it's the safest" really doesn't mean crap. I guess it can by you peace of mind that quality control is decent, and you won't be getting a defective helmet, where the $20 one could be flawed compared to what they actually passed testing with.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I think you've said this twice now, and I still don't understand your point. You wouldn't catch anybody in a full face helmet riding FR because they'd want a full face, which simply can't be found for $10.

And what everyone is trying to point out is that there is absolutely no way to know that a helmet 10 times as expensive as that $10 walmart helmet will protect your head any better. They all passed the same test, maybe not by the same margin, but they all passed. Like CougarTrek pointed out a little ways back, the higher price of an expensive helmet is due to the added cost of materials and testing to make a helmet with 20+ vents still meet the safety requirement.

I could argue that a $10 helmet, which is pretty much solid styrofoam with 5 or 6 tiny vents, would be safer because it is a lot more substantial than my lightweight XC lid. But that would be silly. Because they both passed the same test, and I have no idea by what percentage! Although I agree, it would be nice to know by what margin the helmet passed.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    A side question for anyone that may know:

What tests are the full face downhill helmets held to? Are they more stringent or is it the same test?

I have no idea since I'll never be "hard core" enough to justify the need for a full face!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee
    ...I would think the pass/fail testing system is for normal use not for bombing down a mountain with rocks wide open. If I was on a motorcycle I would be using a motorcycle helmet do you think by being on a bike the impact would automatically be less, so what makes a bike different in this sense? As far as road vs. mtb helmets there aren't a lot of 4000 pound moving object coming at you at 45mph on the trail either so why would a mtb helmet need to be at a higher standard? ....
    Well first you have to think about how the impact occurs. If I'm on the road and get hit head on by a car going 45 mph, I'm going to over the bars and land on the hood and through the windshield. The impact of my head is going to be minimal, even without a helmet. Everything else on my body is going to be banged up badly. Likewise, when mountain biking, if I'm riding along at 20 mph through singletrack, and hit a tree head-on, my head is going to have a much harder impact than if I'm bombing down doubletrack at 30 mph, endo and hit my head on the ground. Read up on acceleration due to gravity to get this, but hitting a tree head-on at 20 mph would be about the same as a 40 foot fall straight down on your head. Neither impact is a helmet going to offer much protection, not to mention the trauma to the rest of your body.

Road riding, I'm most likely to get grazed by a car at a slow speed, knocking me to the ground, or slip on loose gravel / water, hit a pot hole and endo, ect... I think I'm more likely to hit a tree mountain biking, loose control and fall down a ridge, or hit my head on a rock. I think mtb would need a stronger helmet than road riding. I also think a kid would need a better helmet than an adult. Kids heads are proportionally larger and softer than adults, making them have a higher risk for TBI.

But since we don't know anything about helmets other than they pass or fail, you take your chances.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    A side question for anyone that may know:

What tests are the full face downhill helmets held to? Are they more stringent or is it the same test?

I have no idea since I'll never be "hard core" enough to justify the need for a full face!

I'm not sure. I think they are held to the same standard by the CPSC, but some test to the ASTM F1952 Downhill Racing Helmet standard. I assume the ones that go above and beyond let us know in their advertising.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    DOT ratings don't apply to Mtb helmets the test for DOT used to be a fall onto a flat manvil, Snell test was a fall onto a pointed manvil
    Bicycle helmets are nowhere near as tough as motorcycle helmets (and nowhere near as heavy)
    If you're that worried about it wear a motorcycle helmet, the impact resistance for a bike helmet is provided by the foam, the plastic shell provides abrasion & UV resistance
    the foam will deteriorate over time , so even if you never smack the helmet it should be replaced occasionally
    the test for a bike helmet is similar to any other , its dropped or hit with a manvil, if it absorbs most of the shock it passes if not it fails
    Full face helmets may be dot or Snell as they have a thicker plastic shell and will provide greater protection.
    again cost is mostly irrelevant, the foam & shell are pretty much identical on ALL bike helmets and while there is some R&D involved has anyone seen any great differences in bike helmets in the past 10 years? mostly you see different graphics, there is only so many vents you can put in a helmet.
    buy a good name brand that fits, buy last years model and pay 1/2

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

whats wrong with pass or fail ? to pass it has to meet the standard if the standard is not strong enough thats a problem. The standard doesnt matter if its a chid or an adult, it tests how much of an impact a helmet will withstand
    your car has to meet a standard crash test for the bumper, does it matter that you or your child is in the car? if your cars bumper can withstand 7 mph is it safer than one thats can only withstand 5mph?

a DH racer will more than likely be wearing a full face helmet, not a standard bike helmet and a DH helmet has a thicker shell, less vents and a chin guard making it much stronger

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    the whole standard if you want it
    http://search.cpsc.gov/query.html?qt...9-1&col=pubweb

download safety standard for bicycle helmets; final rule 16 cfr part 1203

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005

comparison of all helmet standards

aka bOb
    Well first you have to think about how the impact occurs. If I'm on the road and get hit head on by a car going 45 mph, I'm going to over the bars and land on the hood and through the windshield. The impact of my head is going to be minimal, even without a helmet. Everything else on my body is going to be banged up badly. Likewise, when mountain biking, if I'm riding along at 20 mph through singletrack, and hit a tree head-on, my head is going to have a much harder impact than if I'm bombing down doubletrack at 30 mph, endo and hit my head on the ground. Read up on acceleration due to gravity to get this, but hitting a tree head-on at 20 mph would be about the same as a 40 foot fall straight down on your head. Neither impact is a helmet going to offer much protection, not to mention the trauma to the rest of your body.

Road riding, I'm most likely to get grazed by a car at a slow speed, knocking me to the ground, or slip on loose gravel / water, hit a pot hole and endo, ect... I think I'm more likely to hit a tree mountain biking, loose control and fall down a ridge, or hit my head on a rock. I think mtb would need a stronger helmet than road riding. I also think a kid would need a better helmet than an adult. Kids heads are proportionally larger and softer than adults, making them have a higher risk for TBI.

But since we don't know anything about helmets other than they pass or fail, you take your chances.
    Sorry man I am not buying it at all, next time I get hit by a car I will make sure to aim for the windshield to lesson the chance of a head injury, and if I just get bumped a little by a car I will make sure I tip over in the grass and not on the curb or cement road I am on, and I will definatly avoid any brick buildings and guard rails. Yes my chances are better that I will run into something on the trail but the helmets need to protect you just as good where ever you are riding.

Oh yeah one more thing when if I ever tip over bombing down double track at 30 mph I will make sure I land on soft fluffy grass....Come on!!!

Braaaapp!

You are making some pretty bold assumptions on what's going to occur in different crash senarios. Truth is, you cannot lay out ahead of time exactly what will occur during a crash. You think your head going thru a windshield won't be a massive impact?

And like bdundee said, what if the car hucks you into a guardrail? Lightpole? Street sign? Curb? Another car?

A year or two ago a man in Tucson was killed on his bicycle with no helmet on. It was reported that they determined he was riding very fast, at night, no lights, and ran into a street pole.

You can't guess ahead of time how every crash is going to play out, or predict when you will have one. That's why a helmet is important all the time.

I learned it a few weeks ago, when a quick trip down some side streets ended with a trip to the er.

But it was just a quick trip down side streets and back alleys
    But if I go over the bars I can just ditch the bike and run out of it
    It's not like I ever go down

It took about 0.1 seconds for everything to go terribly wrong that day.

Probably drunk right now

And....

Quote Originally Posted by GlassTrain
    Good idea!

Might have to get some body armor for those extreme down-the-stairway excursions, too!
    Don't forget to wear your helmet in the car, just in case. It would be best if you could find a round, old school white styrofoam model for the car.

aka bOb
    Last year one of our areas top riders was cruising pretty fast on the road and he must of had sun in his eyes. He hit a parked car, he did have a helmet on, now the area is missing a great person and a top athlete.

aka bOb
    Nice goose egg Adam, at least you didn't ruin your helmet
    Last edited by bdundee; 02-16-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Probably drunk right now

Really?

Would we also not catch you on a Wal-mart bike doing downhill / freeride?

How about Wal-mart body armor?