Helmet Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Question

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Helmet Question

What helmets are best for us big boys? One that doesent make you look like a kook trying to stuff your mellon into a tiny whole. Oh yeah and relatively inexpensive.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    best answer is to goto the LBS and try a few on... helmets come in different shapes along with different sizes...

i just picked up a giro havoc and i'm very pleased with it (upgraded from a POS trek model i got back on '01 or so) i'd tried out a few lids while checking out an REI (big sports store)... the fit was spot on and it was in my budget so i pulled the trigger... Bell helmets are the wrong shape for my head so they where out...

so go try a few on... only way you'll know what fits right
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I use a Bell Variant and absolutely love it. http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/produ...l.asp?prodID=4 They are fully adjustable and come in different sizes...very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Oh and Jenson USA has them on sale for half off. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Helmet+08.aspx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I got a pink Giro Xen from performance bikes on clearance (hence the color). It was $69 shipped to a local store. Fit's pretty well, but if my head was any bigger, it would be uncomfortable. I got the large, btw.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    best answer is to goto the LBS and try a few on... helmets come in different shapes along with different sizes...
    +1
    Maybe my head is weirder than most but, apparently, I need to check all the shops in town to find a helmet or two that I can wear without discomfort.

Try them. If you and the people in the shop cannot make it fit, move on and try some more.

Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by No Endo
    I use a Bell Variant and absolutely love it. http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/produ...l.asp?prodID=4 They are fully adjustable and come in different sizes...very comfortable.
    +1 on the Variant. Fits my huge melon just fine. Comfortable and good looking too. And as already mentioned they are on sale at a number of online vendors for a pretty good price (as long as you don't mind last years colors).

SS XC Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringpanda
    I got a pink Giro Xen from performance bikes on clearance (hence the color). It was $69 shipped to a local store. Fit's pretty well, but if my head was any bigger, it would be uncomfortable. I got the large, btw.
    Me too...

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    Last season I rode with a guy with dreadlocks, the only helmet that would fit over them was the before mentioned bell variant.

mtbr member
    I like the Giro Hex. Same as the Xen just cheaper.

Members who have read this thread: 0