Helmet Question?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,230

    Helmet Question?

    I know this is a stupid a$$ question, but are Bell and Giro helmets similar in sizing. I am need of a new helmet and found a great deal on a Giro online. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Now with 3 more inches!
    Reputation: tigerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,463
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    I know this is a stupid a$$ question, but are Bell and Giro helmets similar in sizing. I am need of a new helmet and found a great deal on a Giro online. Thanks.
    I think helmets are like shoes. For me they're try before you buy. I've got 2 different Giro models in medium and they both fit a little different. Wouldn't order one online if I'd never tried it on.

    Just got a XEN and love it.

  3. #3
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    I know this is a stupid a$$ question, but are Bell and Giro helmets similar in sizing. I am need of a new helmet and found a great deal on a Giro online. Thanks.
    although Bell and Giro are owned by the same company the fit/internal shape of the helmets is very different. for example, i can wear most Giro helmets but none of the Bell helmets fit my head comfortably.

    like the other poster said, i'd try the helmet on before buying so that you know you won't have to send it back. on the other hand, if it's a really good deal, buy it and if it doesn't fit just return it.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,690
    I can't wear Bells either. They fit too tight fore-aft and too loose left to right. Giros and Specialized both fit great.

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    I know this is a stupid a$$ question, but are Bell and Giro helmets similar in sizing. I am need of a new helmet and found a great deal on a Giro online. Thanks.
    Not a stupid question.

    Most Bells fit my head great. Most Giros do not fit at all, except for the Semi, which fits great.

    I use medium Bells and medium Semis.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    Keep The Rubber Side Down
    Reputation: Mellow Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,685
    Repeating what most have already said; Giro helmets fit me great but for some reason Bells don't. If you have not tried on the helmet you found online, I would recomend against ordering it first.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

  7. #7
    those are Rollercams...
    Reputation: WTB-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not a stupid question.

    Most Bells fit my head great. Most Giros do not fit at all, except for the Semi, which fits great.

    I use medium Bells and medium Semis.
    We must have the same head shape

    Truly a wealth of useless information.


    http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,535

    Bad Karma

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    If you have not tried on the helmet you found online, I would recomend against ordering it first.
    Not sure this is what MY was insinuating, but trying a helmet on in a store then buying it on line can only bring bad karma. If you need the store to try it on (like with shoes, helmets and gloves) then you are obligated to buy it from the store.

    Bells don't fit my head at all. It was the last helmet I'll ever buy on line. I was happy the day I closed that thing in the truck door breaking a piece off it.

    IMHO of course,
    John

  9. #9
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    We must have the same head shape
    " " is right! SCARY
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    685
    A bit off topic, but I'd rather solve it here than in a new thread. I bought a giro helmet, but didn't realize it was a women's(neither did the worker, looks like man's helmet) so now I'm wearing a girls helmet that comes about 2 inches too short around my head. Are women's sizes different or is that normal to have 2 inches short around? Or do I need bigger?

    As to answer the original question, bell helmets fit me, but I don't like their looks too much.

  11. #11
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by mondaycurse
    A bit off topic, but I'd rather solve it here than in a new thread. I bought a giro helmet, but didn't realize it was a women's(neither did the worker, looks like man's helmet) so now I'm wearing a girls helmet that comes about 2 inches too short around my head. Are women's sizes different or is that normal to have 2 inches short around? Or do I need bigger?

    As to answer the original question, bell helmets fit me, but I don't like their looks too much.
    From what I can tell on the Giro website the only difference between the "Women's Colors" helmets and the other helmets is the color. Same sizing, same shape. No women specific models.

    If you are like me a medium Bell fit perfectly. I can not get a medium Giro on my head. A large or XL Giro with fit front to back but I can put my fist between helmet and head on the sides.

    You have to try the helmets on! You can not just grab a medium in another brand or model just because your last helmet was a medium.

    BTW Specialized helmets fit similar shaped heads as Bells.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,080
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    I can't wear Bells either. They fit too tight fore-aft and too loose left to right. Giros and Specialized both fit great.
    Hum I actually found the opposite to b true. I found (when I got my first helemt and had a chance to try both Bell & Giro) that the Giro shape was more round and the Bell was more oval. This being said I needed a new helmet and got a Bell X-Ray and find that it fits so much different than my previous Bell - snug in the front and wider on the sides. Maybe should have stuck with ordering the same exact helemet I had previously, but it didn't have as many vents as the X-ray - u live, u learn :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.