Helmet paint #4- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet paint #4

mtbr member

Helmet paint #4

I just finished helmet #4. Getting better. Learning more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Very Nice!

Good job, bt.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Feb 2006
    HAWT!! Nice colors. You paint bikes too? If so, got pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Very Nice!

Good job, bt.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    HAWT!! Nice colors. You paint bikes too? If so, got pics?
    No frames yet. definitely a future possibility.
    Thanks

Your bike is incorrigible
    Now that's one nice helmet! It's incentive not to fall on your head!

Just out of curiosity, how long did that paint job take?

1946:2006:2066

Question?

First: nicely done!

Giro does nor recommend paints or solvents of any kind be used on their helmets.

"They can damage a helmet so that its protective capabilities are significantly reduced."

Is this marketing hype to maintain their logos or colouring schemes?

I've often thought of having a helmet painted in the style of one of our local sports teams.
    But have shied away honouring Giro's recommendation.

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDog46
    Giro does nor recommend paints or solvents of any kind be used on their helmets.

"They can damage a helmet so that its protective capabilities are significantly reduced."

Is this marketing hype to maintain their logos or colouring schemes?
    I painted my Giro and it's no where near as nice as biketiger's helmet.
    Great job!

I was concerned about painting mine for the reasons you stated but Rustoleum
    and others make a plastic specific paint. I figured. hey they know paint
    and if they say it's for plastic, what the heck. I felt that Rustoleum would
    not sell a plastic paint that would damage or reduce the strength of the plastic.
    Especially in light of liability lawsuits.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I think helmet manufactures are probably concerned about chemical reaction to paint on the styrofoam liner. I know from experience that fiberglass resins will desolve some styrofoam polymers, perhaps some paints may have the same results.
    Just don't paint the foam.
    I should mention, nice paintjob
    Last edited by kneecap; 03-09-2006 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Just out of curiosity, how long did that paint job take?
    Approx. 10 hours total over 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    I think helmet manufactures are probably concerned about chemical reaction to paint on the styrofoam liner. I know from experience that fiberglass resins will desolve some styrofoam polymers, perhaps some paints may have the same results.
    Just don't paint the foam.
    I should mention, nice paintjob
    That is what I have also heard. I haven't seen the effects of paint on foam and I hope I never do. I'd hate to destroy a perfectly good helmet.
    IMHO, the warning is mainly to keep everyone from painting their helmets improperly and damaging the foam. Every time I have painted a helmet, I have been very tedious with my masking. Luckily, I have had no problems.

Thanks

ouch
    What do you use as masking material? I'm having trouble finding something pliable enough to resist wrinkling and disfiguration. You know how teflon tape can be streched and it can keep its form without warping? Something similar with an adhesive backing would be awesome.

mtbr member

helmet

Very nice.How did you do the letters?

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevirey
    my guess is freehand mixed with talent. Still have pics of 1, 2, and/or 3 around? If so, cough 'em up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spero
    What do you use as masking material? I'm having trouble finding something pliable enough to resist wrinkling and disfiguration. You know how teflon tape can be streched and it can keep its form without warping? Something similar with an adhesive backing would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevirey

Answer to both. Low tack frisket paper. I am still having some issues with that particular subject. Gotta work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sway?
    Still have pics of 1, 2, and/or 3 around? If so, cough 'em up.
    Here's #1. Just started. Paint is pretty basic. Made decals on the 'puter and cleared over everything.

mtbr member

Helmet #2

My buddy gave me free range on this one. I had quite a few issues, but it turned out pretty well. I think it is my favorite so far.

mtbr member

Helmet #3

Same buddy let me paint his snowboard helmet. Accidentally dropped it while clear was still soft. You can see some of the corrections. Turned out decent, otherwise.

ouch
    Cool cool - I just looked into a liquid frisket (latex) and that might be perfect for me supposing the enamels don't eat at it. Also, I found this 'Artool stretch mask' that seems like it might do the trick. Are you using the normal frisket?
    Last edited by Spero; 03-09-2006 at 11:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spero
    Cool cool - I just looked into a liquid frisket (latex) and that might be perfect for me supposing the enamels don't eat at it. Also, I found this 'Artool stretch mask' that seems like it might do the trick. Are you using the normal frisket?
    Yep. Badger brand low tack frisket paper.

The others sound interesting. I will have to try them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ohh... a subject near and dear to my heart!

If you look at the sheer amount of painted helmets out there, I would tend to believe that either Giro and the other helmet co's are just covering their butts with their suggestion to not paint them. In fact, if painting helmets wasn't safe, Troy Lee would have been out of business years ago.

I would suggest going with a simple acrylic laytex paint. I have used Createx (airbrush paint) on all of my RC Car bodies for ages, and it works great. RC bodies are clear lexan, and flex a LOT more than helmets do, so if any paint stands up to that much abuse, it will work fine for lids. The main thing with painting anything plastic is making sure that the vehicle for the pigment won't eat or weaken the material of the helmet. I have used denatured alcohol as a thinner/vehicle to make the paint dry more quickly and it works very well, but its not really needed. I would just avoid anything with a lacquer base, as that tends to not get along with plastics that much. The foam in most bike helmets will get eaten by any sort of laquer.

As for the masking tapes, go with 3m/Scotch professional tapes, there's a ton of them out there, and they're perfect for what you need to accomplish:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I also recommend Friskit, but haven't used the liquid masks that are out there.

There's been a few articles in Airbrush Action on painting helmets that you may be able to get back issues of that could help too. I am looking forward to seeing your progress as you paint more!
    ...on the run from Johnny Law, ain't no trip to Cleveland.

mtbr member
    Yep. Createx. Friskit. Airbrush Action. 3M. Familiar with them all. I have found a ton of info on the net(ain't it great). Bearair.com is great. They have had everything I have needed, so far. I need more practice and a lot more patience. I get impatient and tend to rush through. It's hard when you know what you have to do to get the result, but don' want to wait for the paint to set. I'm working on it. Getting much better.

Gracias for the input.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by biketiger
    Yep. Createx. Friskit. Airbrush Action. 3M. Familiar with them all. I have found a ton of info on the net(ain't it great). Bearair.com is great. They have had everything I have needed, so far. I need more practice and a lot more patience. I get impatient and tend to rush through. It's hard when you know what you have to do to get the result, but don' want to wait for the paint to set. I'm working on it. Getting much better.

Gracias for the input.
    Dude, thanks for putting up the other pics. I like them all, but I'd have to say #4 is my fav. Just the fact that you paint your own helmets is cooler than the other side of the pillow anyway.

mtbr member
    Dude, thanks for putting up the other pics. I like them all, but I'd have to say #4 is my fav. Just the fact that you paint your own helmets is cooler than the other side of the pillow anyway.
    Thanks for the compliment, Sway?.

Quote Originally Posted by DeskoFipps
    As for the masking tapes, go with 3m/Scotch professional tapes, there's a ton of them out there, and they're perfect for what you need to accomplish:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I noticed that the link you posted was actually for "striping" tape. Striping tape is a permanent application. I'm pretty sure this is what you were referring to. This stuff made a noticeable change in my results. Cleaner, crisper lines. I love this stuff.

I haven't searched for it on 3M's website, but it is available from bearair.com in quarter inch and eighth inch thicknesses. I have also found it at NAPA Auto in 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2".

Glad to Be Alive
    very nice talent
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Aug 2006
    great job man, really love all the helmets. my fav is your friend's snowboarding helmet, cool design.

its asking a lot but do you think you could post up a tutorial or something of the sort? i really wanna try this out on some helmets i have laying around. i just need to know the more detailed things like, what grit sandpaper, how many times over, what kind of basecoat, how many layers paint, how many clear, etc etc. i know this varies from person to person and helmet to helmet but, just wanna know a little more before i get started.

Sep 2005
    Hey, great job on the helmets!

What I'm wondering is there some kind of warranty and/or liability issues with painting helmets? If someone "deploys" a helmet that is painted can the painter be liable if the helmet for some reason fails to do it's job? Does helmet painting automatically void the warranty?

Just curious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avalanche165
    great job man, really love all the helmets. my fav is your friend's snowboarding helmet, cool design.

its asking a lot but do you think you could post up a tutorial or something of the sort? i really wanna try this out on some helmets i have laying around. i just need to know the more detailed things like, what grit sandpaper, how many times over, what kind of basecoat, how many layers paint, how many clear, etc etc. i know this varies from person to person and helmet to helmet but, just wanna know a little more before i get started.
    I am the wrong person to ask for a tutorial. I am still learning. I make plenty of mistakes that I am still learning from. This is just a hobby to me, and I am unlikely to pursue it further than that. I have spent a lot of time looking at other peoples work. Here are some links for reference;

http://www.bearair.com
    http://www.troyleedesigns.com
    http://www.dylandeandesigns.com
    http://www.maberacing.com/LD_Designs/lddesigns.htm

You can also find a lot by searching "helmet paint" on this and other forum sites like ridemonkey.com.

I can tell you that you need to be very patient with letting the paint dry. Most of my larger mistakes have come from my impatience. Give the project some time and your helmet will turn out a much better result.

PROPER MASKING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. You don't want ANY of the paint to get on the foam. Be sure that the shell, and only the shell, are exposed to paints, primers, and clear coats. You will, of course, want the helmet to be capable of protecting your brain when the paint is done. I spend as much time masking as I do painting.

If you are going to do your painting at home, like I do, water-based paints are good to use. With proper ventilation, they are much safer for the home environment. They are also significantly cheaper. I use Createx colors. They are often too thick for my airbrush, so you can cut them with water to make a little paint go a long way.

I hope this helps give you some ideas.
    Last edited by biketiger; 09-04-2006 at 05:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Ridr
    Hey, great job on the helmets!

What I'm wondering is there some kind of warranty and/or liability issues with painting helmets? If someone "deploys" a helmet that is painted can the painter be liable if the helmet for some reason fails to do it's job? Does helmet painting automatically void the warranty?

Just curious.
    I believe it does void the warranty. I wouldn't blame the helmet companies if they did void the warranty. The warranty would only cover manufacturers defects anyway. Painting would be a modification, not a defect.

I'm not quite sure of the liability placement if the helmet failed. That would be enough to keep me from ever painting a helmet for a "customer".

The helmets I have painted have been for good friends or for myself. I have been very careful about masking the helmets properly. The baby Red Bull helmet has a removeable shell. I felt much more confident about painting it without worrying about the foam.

Ami Schwein
    warranty or not those are some sick lookin helmets.
    Wait until Spring Bandini

mtbr member

Revive an old thread

I thought I would revive my old thread instead of creating a new one. I just finished my new helmet (#8). Star Wars fans will dig it.

Lukes helmet from "A New Hope".
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.7 KB, 178 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (89.9 KB, 169 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (110.7 KB, 164 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (83.3 KB, 165 views)
    • File Type: jpg Luke.jpg (73.2 KB, 164 views)
    Last edited by biketiger; 07-18-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Feb 2004

1#

I like helmet number one.That was my candy of choice as a kid and it look's nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biketiger
    I thought I would revive my old thread instead of creating a new one. I just finished my new helmet. Star Wars fans will dig it.

Lukes helmet from "A New Hope".
    Awesome! I love that you even gave it the distressed/worn look!

mtbr member
    Here are number 5 and number 6. If you have any custom / painted helmets, feel free to post them here. Keep it going.

Cereal Killer
    That is some seriously nice work. I love it. Now, I'm going to have to give this a try. I've never done airbrush work, but always wanted to learn. What is some decent equipment to get for a beginner?

Of course I'll do a lot of practice before ever trying a helmet, but eventually I think a custom would be an awesome project.

mtbr member
    I learned a little way back in High School. I did a lot of homework before purchasing my brush online. Use the internet to your advantage. Thee are a lot of how-to articles out there.

1. I use Createx paint. Water based, non-toxic and dries fast. Good for me since I do not have a pro booth and do all my work outside of my garage.
    2. Clear coat from rattle can. It is a sacrifice you will have to make, because a pro clear coat is extremely difficult.
    3. Use good tape. Tape can be the most expensive supply you purchase. Buy automotive grade masking tape at places like NAPA auto.
    4. Get a dual action airbrush. Keep it clean between use.
    5. Start on an old helmet that you are planning on replacing soon. It's a lot less disappointing if you make a mistake.
    6. MASKING! If you don't protect the foam inside from the paint, the safety of your helmet will be compromised. Take the time to mask the helmet thoroughly.

I can't really teach you much on technique, since I am still learning myself. There are a lot of talented artists on this and other websites who are willing to answer questions and share info. Search them out. It's worth it.

Hope that helps.

BT

Members who have read this thread: 0