• 06-07-2004
    BanzaiRider
    Helmet padding, is there a way to make your own?
    I bought a Giro Switchblade for my girlfriend and it is a bit large at the mouth gard. This is an expensive helmet and I'm not very happy. The store where I bought the helmet has been telling me for over a month that the pad kit is backorder but should come in sometime!!! Since I'm in Canada, I tried to get it through a US retailler. Well no luck there either, they told me they were out of the pad kit and Giro was not producing it anymore.

So I'm now trying to find a way to make pads. Do any of you know what the helmet companies use to produce those pads? If I can find that in a store somewhere then I can cut them myself to the required fit.

Thanks for your help.
  • 06-07-2004
    Drewdane
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I bought a Giro Switchblade for my girlfriend and it is a bit large at the mouth gard. This is an expensive helmet and I'm not very happy. The store where I bought the helmet has been telling me for over a month that the pad kit is backorder but should come in sometime!!! Since I'm in Canada, I tried to get it through a US retailler. Well no luck there either, they told me they were out of the pad kit and Giro was not producing it anymore.

So I'm now trying to find a way to make pads. Do any of you know what the helmet companies use to produce those pads? If I can find that in a store somewhere then I can cut them myself to the required fit.

Thanks for your help.

I suppose you could buy some foam batting at an arts & crafts store and cut to suit. Glue or velcro to attach it to the helmet. Just a thought.
  • 06-07-2004
    Mr Magoo
    Try Bell
    I have lots of pad kits laying around from prior purchases. Most buy helmets for the fit so the spare stuff never gets used. Ask the LBS to get creative.