Helmet for newbz.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Helmet for newbz.

I know the importance of a good helmet on a motorcycle due to the fact that I've taken a spill on my Yamaha when a car hit me. Helmet held up and saved my head.

I took a look around the walmarts and academy sports stores and all theyhad were Bell helmets and Momgoose branded ones. They seemed cheap and flimsy.

Any recommendations on a decent helmet that wont break the bank but give me good coverage when I do happen to go down?

~Disc~Golf~
    Wear whatever fits your noggin well. and is comfy - you'll like to wear it more often
    The 'walgoose' & Bell helmets are just as safe as more expensive (bike) helmets, but may not be as comfy (ventilation) or look as cool.

That said, I like my Giro Havoc, but to each, his own
    $30 at JensonUSA - I can order it online because I know they fit me tho - so...
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thats a nice looking helmet. pretty much all the standard adult ones I tried fit me well. I'll have to try to find one of these and see how the fit is. Thanks for the heads up.

Sep 2009
    I wear the Giro Rift...got it on Amazon for $50. I love it. Lots of protection and ventilation at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mizm05
    I wear the Giro Rift...got it on Amazon for $50. I love it. Lots of protection and ventilation at the same time.
    Me too- I think that black was at $41 when I got it on Amazon a few weeks ago... looks good, as comfortable as a bike helmet can be, and the adjuster in the back saved me from having to guess as to my noggin size.

cougarbait
    I've got a Giro Phase and a Giro Remedy for DH/FR.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Wear whatever fits your noggin well. and is comfy - you'll like to wear it more often
    The 'walgoose' & Bell helmets are just as safe as more expensive (bike) helmets, but may not be as comfy (ventilation) or look as cool.
    Glad to hear it.... I have a Bell that fits perfectly and looks O...K... So, I guess I'll worry more about pedaling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll

That said, I like my Giro Havoc, but to each, his own
    $30 at JensonUSA - I can order it online because I know they fit me tho - so...
    +1 30$ from Jeson...very happy with this helmet

mtbr member
    My helmet cost 15 bucks at K-Mart, Schwinn passed all the same tests as all helmets sold in the US have too. Only difference is the ventilation, and weight. Higher priced helmets are typically better designed for ventilation like I said and they use lighter materials to keep the weight down.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

meow meow
    yep, i just got a rift in white, very nice helmet.

mtbr member
    I have the Giro Hex and love it. Cheaper helmets do meet the same standards as the more expensive ones. What I have noticed is the durability of the cheaper helmets is not up to par. The shells are loose and feel spongy, where the more expensive (nicer) helmets have a seamless and solid feel. The retention systems seem to get better with the higher end helmets too. When I talk of durability, I don't mean crash durability. I am speaking of day to day bumps in the car/bag on the way to the trail.

That said, both will get the job done. I just prefer the more quality product.

Sep 2009
    I wanted a Hex but had to go with the Rift (which I still love)...the Hex was out of my price range but that's a dope helmet.

mtbr member
    All the plastic helmets will give your head excellent protection, so long as it has they have passed the crashworthiness test I believe the test are by the SNELL. The difference as mentioned is weight, ventilation. Also style, coverage area and attention to detail. Ive had both the Giro and Fox. The fox in particular gives very good coverage, similar in the lower rear to a hockey helmet. The plastic also is wrapped around the bottom edge giving it a seamless appearance and probably more structural strength.

I recommend the Fox Flux, I am partial to only because it save my head on a bad head first endo. Giro is my second choice. It is equal to the Flux.

If your still concerned about flimsyness, you can check out the downhill full coverage helmets. They are similar in appearance to motocycle motocross helmets. The are generally lighter and have not been approved for m/c street or off road use.
    The Specialized Deviant is a light f/c helmet that has more ventilation than the others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    All the plastic helmets will give your head excellent protection, so long as it has they have passed the crashworthiness test I believe the test are by the SNELL. The difference as mentioned is weight, ventilation. Also style, coverage area and attention to detail. Ive had both the Giro and Fox. The fox in particular gives very good coverage, similar in the lower rear to a hockey helmet. The plastic also is wrapped around the bottom edge giving it a seamless appearance and probably more structural strength.

I recommend the Fox Flux, I am partial to only because it save my head on a bad head first endo. Giro is my second choice. It is equal to the Flux.

If your still concerned about flimsyness, you can check out the downhill full coverage helmets. They are similar in appearance to motocycle motocross helmets. The are generally lighter and have not been approved for m/c street or off road use.
    The Specialized Deviant is a light f/c helmet that has more ventilation than the others.
    I think helmet manufacturers get repeat customers by how well their helmets protect them. I am on my second Hex.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidchicken
    I think helmet manufacturers get repeat customers by how well their helmets protect them. I am on my second Hex.

Nice BFL RabidChicken. I am atxjax on ARFCOM.

Thanks for the heads up on the helmets everyone....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrick
    Nice BFL RabidChicken. I am atxjax on ARFCOM.

Thanks for the heads up on the helmets everyone....
    We are everywhere, aren't we?

Oct 2007
    that giro havoc for 30 bucks is a retardedly good deal! i have an 08 or 07 model and its been great. sure paid a lot more than 30 though.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    +1 for Giro

I have a rift that I love... it's super comfortable. I also have a Remedy FF helmet. Super comfortable as well (for a FF anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    Jenson seems to be having a good sale on helmets right now.

Oct 2009
    I have the fox flux and i love it. Fits my head like a glove most of the time when im riding i forget im wearing it and it does look pretty cool, have had any major incidents with it yet so cant speak about the protection but it does feel very sturdy compared to some cheap helmets i used to have where the exterior shell would fall off after 3-4 months. Kind of expensive....but imo worth the price.

~Disc~Golf~
    fits your head like a glove??
    the counter would be a glove that fits my hand like a helmet - I don't think I'd like that
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 for the hex

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Vote +1 for the Giro Xen pretty cool helmet too, looks a lot sturdier than some of the other helmets on the market and has extra coverage for the back of my head.

Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adistar
    Vote +1 for the Giro Xen pretty cool helmet too, looks a lot sturdier than some of the other helmets on the market and has extra coverage for the back of my head.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://downloadfunky.info/pages/5126/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://downloadfunky.info/pages/5126/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
    Not everything that looks, is tougher but I see what you mean..
    Last edited by styonile; 11-05-2009 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    +1 for hex. best helmet I've owned

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by mojotrick
    I know the importance of a good helmet on a motorcycle due to the fact that I've taken a spill on my Yamaha when a car hit me. Helmet held up and saved my head.

I took a look around the walmarts and academy sports stores and all theyhad were Bell helmets and Momgoose branded ones. They seemed cheap and flimsy.

Any recommendations on a decent helmet that wont break the bank but give me good coverage when I do happen to go down?
    There are three important things with a helmet FIT FIT FIT.

I would love to own a MET parachute, well ventilated helmet with a lightweight chin guard.
    however it does not fit my head well. So although the chin guard is a nice extra buit of face protection the brain protection isn't as good.

Try 10+ helmets on from different brands, get the one that fits you best. Expect to go out of your budget, 100 might be a lot for a helmet, but nothing compared to the total bike costs. A well fitting helmet will make much more difference than 20g saved on a deralieur

My head fits giro fell, so my full face is giro too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Even if you do go out of your budget for a helmet. How much is your head worth to you? Mine is definitely worth investing is a good well fitting sturdy helmet.

mtbr member
    I wanted a Hex but had to go with the Rift (which I still love)...the Hex was out of my price range but that's a dope helmet.
    I got it for less than $50 online.

Members who have read this thread: 0