Helmet mount two 250 lumen or one 900 lumen torch???- Mtbr.com
    mathlete
    Nov 2007

Helmet mount two 250 lumen or one 900 lumen torch???

For you torch users out there… For helmet usage what is better- two 250 lumen torches or one 900 lumen (two TR801 vs one MTE ssc 97 torch). I'm planning on ordering one 900 lumen torch for bar mounting but I am undecided on what to do about my helmet set up. Thanks of the input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleologist
    For you torch users out there… For helmet usage what is better- two 250 lumen torches or one 900 lumen (two TR801 vs one MTE ssc 97 torch). I'm planning on ordering one 900 lumen torch for bar mounting but I am undecided on what to do about my helmet set up. Thanks of the input
    For torch mounting a lot depends on the alignment of the vent holes of your helmet. IMO a single torch setup is easier to work with and I much prefer a 2-mode for the helmet. As for which single torch to use, I would recommend either the Aurora M3-2 2-mode ( uses the Cree MC-E m-bin ) or this torch > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623
    The MTE P-7 2-mode model is similar to the model I just reviewed in this thread> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=427380&page=2
    The torch head on this MTE type can be adjusted outward to maximize throw which helps a lot. Still I prefer the Aurora because it has better throw and a usable low mode. Either of these torches will work great but you still have to figure out how to mount it. I'm lucky, mine stays in place with just a single loop of Velcro. You might not be as lucky if you have a newer helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have tried both, i use a silva L1 with my MTE M3-2 that i have had since october, brilliant set up. Have used a TR801 and a R2 equipped 18650. Looks neater with the two and gives better runtime if you switch the one off and other on med etc.

For Pure power at night a MCE is best i have recently got a MG RX1 off shiningbeam and the throw is better than all other MCE/P7's i have seen so great for super fast trails, but the massive reflector looks like i have a miners lamp on my head, Weight is comparable to the DX lights though, which is nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0