Helmet Modification...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800

    Helmet Modification...

    So I've been off the bike since last year's U.S. Open (long story short, I took a header into a rock in the first tech center and had a concuscion, a seizure, I pissed myself, a brain hemmorage, and a $3000 hospital bill.. after insurance) so needless to say I don't want that to happen again, like not even a little bit. So I wouldn't give up biking in general ( I gave up the really risky, fun stuff, for my family and loving wife) but I got a new full face and was wondering if anything about it could be modified to decrease my chances of having to collect my piss stained clothes from the hospital again.. I though maybe bubble wrap...yeah bubble wrap..
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

  2. #2
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,938
    buy a better helmet like the Azonic 708 or a full on MX helmet.....MX helmets weigh alot and our bulky big...that is why I like the 708 and the protection is amzing....you feel the comfort just putting it on
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  3. #3
    bearded
    Reputation: BIKESerFUN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    441
    You can find some fairly light light DOT certified helmets. These are certified for motorsports a la they are meant for much higher speed and harder impact. This could be a great advantage for you. Of course the lighter DOT helmets are more expensive it is an excellent investment.... to invest in not dying seems to me to be a good investment. Try Fly racing and TLD for some good, and light, DOT approved helmets. I will be riding the Fly formula.
    BLKMRKT

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jettj45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,014
    Use a DOT/SNELL approved helmet and a Leatt Brace.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    heh, every time i see a post from you...you always seem to want to mention you pissed in your pants. no matter what topic.

    ...just an observation...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    251
    661 mx helmets are nice lite and not that crazy price
    11 Specialized SX
    09 Giant STP ss
    08 Santa Cruz V-10
    08 Mongoose Black diamond
    05 Cannondale Prophet

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    593
    You can find fox v3's pretty cheap if you look around. Super light and breath nice for a moto helmet. V3 FTW!
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

  8. #8
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,746
    I don't know how much cash you got rollin' around but Chainlove.com has been blowing out the TLD SE2 helmets as of late... They're not vented very much, but most DOT's aren't. They're 50% off...

    It's nice to hear you're keeping an open mind about being on the bike after your accident. I remember the last thread. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  9. #9
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Reputation: cactuscorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,942
    another vote for the tld's. got me a d2 and thinkin hard on a se. saw the se on chainlove for a buck 70 last night. not bad for a $400+ moto approved lid.
    No, I'm NOT back!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    i dont think anyone really reads threads anymore. just see's keywords in the topic, then adds what ever.

    the guy asked if he could mod his helmet to be more protective. he already has a helmet...so he doesnt need the "which helmet should i buy" stuff.

  11. #11
    Citizen Of Earth
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    366
    Modifying a helmet is like double wrapping condoms, more than likely it'll do more harm than good.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    Use a DOT/SNELL approved helmet and a Leatt Brace.
    QFT

  13. #13
    I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Reputation: Cabdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    Modifying a helmet is like double wrapping condoms, more than likely it'll do more harm than good.
    Someone need to add that as their signature
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

    CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

  14. #14
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    heh, every time i see a post from you...you always seem to want to mention you pissed in your pants. no matter what topic.

    ...just an observation...
    I have a friend like that...wait. Nick is that you?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2

    dot/snell

    totally agree with the dot/snell helmet suggestion, check * helmets.org * for information on current dot/snell certifications and search around. i ride an epic as my commuting bike during the winter snow/and ice and a ht rim brake in better conditions but i always look like i'm getting ready to DH. full face, thor impact rig se, and knee/shin guards. it's bulky but i've already crashed once last semester due to being cut off, and replaced that helmet as my head bounced twice.

    during the summer, or on extended rides it's really hot, but i'd rather drink a ton, and sweat and be able to survive than the opposite.

    the full certification helmets are bulkier and have less vents but some can be found that aren't too terrible or pricey and have good aesthetic appeal.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    65
    i rock a full dot/snell helmet every time i go out, unless im gonna be ride up hill. i've learned not to chance it any more riding the trails by my house, after one of my friends got his face smashed in from hitting a tree.

    i run a Scorpion VX-14, it burly as hell and not to heavy
    Last edited by XxTHExAGENTxX; 02-25-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    xterrain :Modifying a helmet is like double wrapping condoms, more than likely it'll do more harm than good.

  17. #17
    not a forum admin
    Reputation: atomicAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    So I've been off the bike since last year's U.S. Open (long story short, I took a header into a rock in the first tech center and had a concuscion, a seizure, I pissed myself, a brain hemmorage, and a $3000 hospital bill.. after insurance) so needless to say I don't want that to happen again, like not even a little bit. So I wouldn't give up biking in general ( I gave up the really risky, fun stuff, for my family and loving wife) but I got a new full face and was wondering if anything about it could be modified to decrease my chances of having to collect my piss stained clothes from the hospital again.. I though maybe bubble wrap...yeah bubble wrap..
    sickspeed16, this going to go against what others are saying and I'll tell you why.

    If you aren't travelling at high speeds any longer, like you said, you gave up the gnar stuff, than you will want to stick with a normal CSPC and get a brace.

    DOT and SNELL helmets are meant for harder impacts, that means to really take advantage of the EPS thickness and design you have to take a hard impact. Otherwise the EPS liner is too hard and you risk internal hemorrhaging again.

    If you are looking for a full face design, you will want something that has a thick and soft EPS shell all the way around, not just on top, front and back, and you will want to reduce the number of air vents. The less EPS liner there is the harder it has to be made to with stand testing, that means the harder your head has to hit it for it to be useful.

    I would recommend, if venting isn't an issue, the Mace Gurka helmet. It is CSPC rated, no vents, huge EPS liner all the way around and only about $150.

    You can read more info here and this is a great article comparing and contrasting DOT vs SNELL certification and it explains a lot!

    Higher impact helmets are meant for higher impacts. If you don't plan on bombing the hill get a lower impact helmet. It will act more like a helmet for your head, displacing and transferring low impact energy into an EPS designed for that.

  18. #18
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800
    Well I got a new full face, because I do plan on going back to diablo, but just going to avoid any large sharp rocks, but I want a full face to protect my perfect Fabio like facial figure, It is a DOT certified (AXO Chute, for $70 bucks!) but from the sounds of things I'm just going to keep it the same.. However I do work at sports authority (I'm a bike tech there, I work on only the highest quality two wheeled bi-cycles.. like K2) and they have extra helmet padding, you know like the ones that come with the skate helmets and whatnot, do any of you think shoving more of that sh!it in there would help?
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

  19. #19
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800
    And to answer your question yes I do mention that I pissed myself, because I still find that FLOCKIN' HALARIOUS, I mean c'mon who else do you know in ANY biking accident, pissed themselves.. if anything you should want me to be your friend for that reason alone.
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

  20. #20
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,532
    Get a hold of that stuff in 661 EVO pads and mount that to the outside of the helmet somehow.

  21. #21
    not a forum admin
    Reputation: atomicAdam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Well I got a new full face, because I do plan on going back to diablo, but just going to avoid any large sharp rocks, but I want a full face to protect my perfect Fabio like facial figure, It is a DOT certified (AXO Chute, for $70 bucks!) but from the sounds of things I'm just going to keep it the same.. However I do work at sports authority (I'm a bike tech there, I work on only the highest quality two wheeled bi-cycles.. like K2) and they have extra helmet padding, you know like the ones that come with the skate helmets and whatnot, do any of you think shoving more of that sh!it in there would help?
    I don't think it really will. That is probably best for fitting the helmet, but the soft padded liner doesn't really do much to reduce and transfer impact energy. that is what the EPS liner is for. enjoy your riding, dont worry to much. remember, it is about when, not if.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I don't think it really will. That is probably best for fitting the helmet, but the soft padded liner doesn't really do much to reduce and transfer impact energy. that is what the EPS liner is for. enjoy your riding, dont worry to much. remember, it is about when, not if.
    agreed. there's comes a point where youre TOO concerned about safety where youre just over doing it.

    rock the helmet, maybe get a neck brace, and just ride and improve your skills. Diablo isn't the gnarliest of locations (with a few exceptions), so just go out and enjoy your self.

  23. #23
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800
    Stupid question, but will the neck brace really effect a concuscion (or chances thereof, of getting one) or does it just help with the whiplash/neck injuries
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    no it just prevents neck injuries. well i wouldnt say prevent. lessens the chance of...

  25. #25
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800
    So you lessen the chance of a neck injury and look like a total goon...
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    So you lessen the chance of a neck injury and look like a total goon...
    You pissed yourself (among other things) and are worrying about looking like a goon because of protective gear?

    You ARE a goon.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    hey man...it's your body. it's just another precautionary measure. over padding your helmet is different story...as a properly fitted helmet in the first place will do a lot more good than ghetto rigging it because youre paranoid.

    also, no one in their right mind will make fun of you for using a leat brace. extra padding you bought from sports authority sticking out of your helmet...might be a different story.

  28. #28

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanadianPreston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    270
    solution: always piss before you ride

  30. #30
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by seanzombie1336
    You pissed yourself (among other things) and are worrying about looking like a goon because of protective gear?

    You ARE a goon.
    Touschey fine sir, touschey... You have defeated me.
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Glynis27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    801
    As other have said, sticking stuff in your helmet is more likely to hurt than help.

    Quote Originally Posted by asanathema
    full face, thor impact rig se, and knee/shin guards. it's bulky but i've already crashed once last semester due to being cut off, and replaced that helmet as my head bounced twice.
    Wait, you wear this for commuting? Do you ride in some battle arena where everyone that drives by hits you with bats, chains and stuff? I would quit riding the day I had to wear all that junk just to commute.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    486
    I've seen dudes at diablo wearing the neck brace. Very fast dudes. Nobody's given them **** about it that I've seen.

    And yes, neck braces LESSEN the chance of injury just like helmets and any other pads. No piece of safety equipment eliminates the chance of injury. Going fast near pointy rocks and trees just leaves too many variables. Until we have force fields, nothing will ELIMINATE the chance of injury.

  33. #33
    Shred all that can be
    Reputation: sickspeed16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    800
    I know, it was a shortminded answer, I have no doubt that the neck brace does well, and shouldn't be chastizing it, but I'm not going to be doing TOO nar of stuff and I have faith in my abilities... for the most part.
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.