Helmet Manufatcure Date Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Helmet Manufatcure Date Question

Good morning!

I had to replace a helmet and am a little concerned over the new one I recieved.

I rode Farlow Gap in Pisgah 2 weeks ago. Well to say I "rode" is a little misleading. Let's just say I went down Farlow. At any rate it is one of the most beautiful trail I have been on.

About 1 mile left on the Davidson River Trail, after 20 miles and 4000 ft of climbing, I hit a small root wrong, went over the bars, and cracked my helmet in 2 places. It was sort of an epic crash, and I am lucky I did not get more hurt than a bloody forhead, scraped elbows, and a broken helmet.

So I ordered a new helmet, the same one I cracked and recieved it yesterday. It is an IXS RS Trail. I ordered the same one becasue I figured it did the job the first time...why not just replace it.

Problem is that the manufacture date on the "new" helmet is June of 2016.

IS there any or much concern here about the material being compromised from age?

thank you!

mtbr member
    It seems a bit old for "new", but I have used plenty of lids 3+ years old. How old was the one you cracked?

Manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet anywhere from every 3-8 years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    If you play by the rules and replace it as often as it should be, I would return that helmet.

If you are one to ride an old helmet on your own doing, then keep it.

Just because you KNOW it is old doesn't make it any less safe than one you wear that is old without knowing they have expiration dates.

I was riding in my my road helmet for probably 3 years after expiration mostly from forgetfulness and not knowing.
    Knowing better now, I won't buy an old helmet on purpose.
    I did return a motorcycle helmet once when I realized the manufacturer date was 18 months earlier.

Meatbomb
    This post got me thinking and I checked the MFG date on the helmet I purchased about 8 months ago. MFG date is 9/14..... I'll be sending a note to Bell but I don't have any receipts to prove purchase date so probably will need to live with it for a year or 2 and then replace (will check dates when purchasing going forward).

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    This post got me thinking and I checked the MFG date on the helmet I purchased about 8 months ago. MFG date is 9/14..... I'll be sending a note to Bell but I don't have any receipts to prove purchase date so probably will need to live with it for a year or 2 and then replace (will check dates when purchasing going forward).
    If it was stored out of sunlight, extreme heat, and ozone, then youre prob fine. There was a research project sited somewhere here that tested ancient helmets and they worked fine.
    Manufacturers site that recommendation prob out of abundance of caution, and if course to sell more helmets!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you read the fine print manufactures say 3-5 years of use, not sitting in a warehouse. UV rays, sweat, sunscreen, etc are what break down the materials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Age Does Not Affect the Material Properties of Expanded Polystyrene...
    That's what I was thinking. I read once that it can take more than 1,000,000 years (theoretically) to deteriorate. So I'm thinking 3 or 4 years "new" in a box (out of UV exposure) isn't going to hurt it. But I guess that doesn't consider all of the other materials in the helmet.

A lot of the time, manufacturing dates have more to do with tracking versions for things like future discovery of defects (think recalls), than material degradation. And, as I believe is the case for helmets and other safety equipment, there are government regulations that require stamping manufacturing dates on them. There may not be a functional purpose at all, other than to facilitate the aforementioned recalls.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnybear View Post

IS there any or much concern here about the material being compromised from age?

thank you!
    There is no problem. Just use the helmet. You don't need to replace a helmet due to age absent any other wear/tear or crash issues.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The 'shelf life' myth with EPS helmets, is mostly a myth, as long as its not seen UV rays or sunscreens, etc, helmets actually have a long shelf life. Numerous articles from scientists that prove EPS lasts a LOOOOONG time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yup, like those cited articles, I believe the EPS in helmets will stay good in storage for a long time. If anything you'll need to look at the ancilary parts, padding cancrumble with age, but doesn't affect protection. Nylon straps should also last a long time, although I've seen crappy mystery china bags and fanny pack straps fall apart with age. Never seen any of my name brand helmet straps or bags have a problem though. Plastic buckles can eventually become brittle. The shells might too, but again with all the helmets I've had never seen it, esp if stored well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just bought a 'new' helmet today, with the manufacturing date as 7/2017. (Specialized Ambush 2018 model).

I asked in store, and also online - I was told that as long as it was stored in a non UV exposed environment like a warehouse, away from chemicals etc, it'll be fine. It's only necessary to replaced after 3-5 years once it's been 'used' and exposed to the real world.
    2019 Cube Reaction Race 29
    2018 YT Capra AL
    2014 Scott Aspect 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnybear View Post
    Good morning!

I had to replace a helmet and am a little concerned over the new one I recieved.

I rode Farlow Gap in Pisgah 2 weeks ago. Well to say I "rode" is a little misleading. Let's just say I went down Farlow. At any rate it is one of the most beautiful trail I have been on.

About 1 mile left on the Davidson River Trail, after 20 miles and 4000 ft of climbing, I hit a small root wrong, went over the bars, and cracked my helmet in 2 places. It was sort of an epic crash, and I am lucky I did not get more hurt than a bloody forhead, scraped elbows, and a broken helmet.

So I ordered a new helmet, the same one I cracked and recieved it yesterday. It is an IXS RS Trail. I ordered the same one becasue I figured it did the job the first time...why not just replace it.

thank you!
    I think no problem if it has been stored in a box as what degrade helmets is UV radiation and probably not much of that in a shop (unless in a shop window).
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit.

You have only one brain: protect it!