Helmet light turned me chickenshi...- Mtbr.com
    Derailleurless

Helmet light turned me chickenshi...

...t?

My wife screwed up big time and didn't charge my helmet light for me after my last night ride<sup>1</sup>, so needless to say it died a quick death on me on the trail last night's solo ride.

No biggie, thinks I, the helmet light was new this winter. Since '95 or so I've ridden only with a bar mount.

Didn't work out that way. I hate to say it, but I froze up -- choked big time. Not only did I ride like I had on training wheels, but I was anxious the whole time that my bar light was going to fail. That's no way to enjoy the ride.

So what's up? Is a helmet light a useful tool (Yes!), or is it a crutch (Yes!)? Jeez, how would HID lamps ruin me if I used them but then had to go back to a conventional system?

But hey, I forgot how fun twisty, overgrown, tree covered singletrack can be at night without a light to look into the turns and running "blind" through corners. But I also forgot how easy it is to accidentally turn my light off while switching modes, suddenly being left in the dark -- literally. DOH!

<small><sup>1</sup><i>I kid, I kid!</small></i>

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    [QUOTE=f*nętikSo what's up? Is a helmet light a useful tool (Yes!), or is it a crutch (Yes!)? Jeez, how would HID lamps ruin me if I used them but then had to go back to a conventional system?
    [/QUOTE]

Granted, I started riding at night with an HID and never used an incandescant system, but I'm not sure I could now. I did some night riding last fall, and once it got dark early on us, and some of the guys didn't bring their lights, and another time, someone's light died. Both times, I followed the lightless and we had plenty of light for two. One guy thought my HID from behind was still brighter than his own light! If I used an incandescent system, I'd probably have to have both bar and helmet lights. Call me spoiled. ;^)

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

your wife?

[QUOTE=f*nętik]...t?

My wife screwed up big time and didn't charge my helmet light for me after my last night QUOTE]

You could fill a library with what I don't know about women,but my advice would be to not blame your wife.

You havent lived until you've nightridden on a moonless night with no light at all.
    I've been inside too long.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    [Call me spoiled. ;^)
    SPOILED!

Actually, I'd rather call you "Lucky", but that would be pointless. :-)

Years ago a friend and I were on a nightride. I've got a Niterider Classic with the push button OFF-LOW-HIGH-MED-OFF cycle -- there's no way to get back to "low" without passing through the OFF position.

Meanwhile, my buddy was riding with a 4-'C' cell powered Specalized light that was so overpowered by my light that he just turned his off.

So here we are riding this sweeping panoramic fire road overlooking a local lake. The trail gets a little rough and begins a descent, so I flick the button to up the power setting only to find that I was already in the MED position, and everything goes pitch black. I had already taken my thumb off the switch, we were moving pretty quick and getting bounced around, and there was a steep dropoff on our right. Pucker time.

My friend's only saving grace what that I had a tail light burning steady, so he had something to follow (he said it was "dancing in front of him"), but that didn't mean I could see where I was going. We averted a messy spill, I was able to regain my composure and slow down and get my light burning, and all was good.

But having the helmet light as backup sure has spoiled me, filling in those "dark spots" between the MED and LOW settings. That's the reason I got stuck in the thistle last night, luckily at a slow speed.

Mar 2004
    My wife screwed up big time

Take responsibility for your own affairs. You'd suck as a Marine.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

OK, I'll stick up for him

Quote Originally Posted by f*nętik
    ...t?

My wife screwed up big time and didn't charge my helmet light for me after my last night ride<SUP>1</SUP>, so needless to say it died a quick death on me on the trail last night's solo ride.

Yada yada lights yada yada...

<SMALL><SUP>1</SUP>I kid, I kid!</SMALL>
    He was joking...

Not that I'd joke about my wife like that, she's trained me to know better!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

KgB
    SNGLSPD

yeah I thought so

[QUOTE=RedRocker]He was joking...
    QUOTE]

I've been just trying to squeeze that line into a post for a while now.
    I've been inside too long.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    The moonless night thing sounds very cool if that's what you're talking about. Use it again!

Waaaay too many trees around here to try it though.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Derailleurless

Used to do that as a kid...

[QUOTE=KgBYou havent lived until you've nightridden on a moonless night with no light at all.[/QUOTE]

...on my yellow and blue Huffy BMX bike.

We had a fireroad about a mile from home that went up past an old Nike site of bunker of some sort. We would pedal up to the community college at the top of the trail and milk the old dirt parking lot for all it was worth, then zoom down the wide empty boulevard under the streetlamps, tears streaming from our eyes from the blast of wind.

Ahhh, the good old days...

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    He was joking...
    Thanks, bro! I didn't want to have to say it.