Helmet light question

Printable View

• 04-01-2005
    Call_me_Clyde
    Helmet light question
    I own a Performance EVO helmet light and it comes standard with a 10 watt (6v) halogen bulb. Performance also offers a bar mounted version of this light as a dual light with a 10 watt (6v) / 20 watt (6v) combination. What sort of risk do I run in replacing my 10 watt halogen bulb with a 20 watt bulb? Am I going to fry the electronics, or melt the plastic housing?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there an electronics whiz out there that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Clyde
  • 04-01-2005
    mtnbiker1973
    *Most times* it will just cut your burn time in half. I was going to do this with a niterider product, but just bought a new light instead.
  • 04-01-2005
    Homebrew
    Yes, it will cut your burn time in half. You're looking at about an hour. And it won't be nearly as bright as if you bought a 20W bulb with a 13.2V battery.
  • 04-01-2005
    Call_me_Clyde
    Thanks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Yes, it will cut your burn time in half. You're looking at about an hour. And it won't be nearly as bright as if you bought a 20W bulb with a 13.2V battery.

I'm not in a position to buy a whole new lighting system though. The 10 watt is actually suffice, but I'm purchasing a backup bulb, and figured if they are the same price, and I can get a little more wattage, why not go for it? My night riding never lasts more than an hour, so I should be good to go with the 20 watt bulb.
  • 04-01-2005
    foolinthe_rain
    20 watts WILL burn hotter. will it hurt your light? probably not, but only one way to find out...it will also draw more current, but the electronics should be able to handle that, why not email the manufacturer they can tell you for sure.