Helmet light advice please- Mtbr.com

May 2007

New question here. Helmet light advice please

Hi all,

I'd like to buy my favorite mountain biker a light for Christmas. There's a ton of info out there and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on which one to buy.

I want him to have the best one - period, but he won't be happy if I spend a ton of dough on it. So preferably under $300, best would be closer to $200. Also, I think he's leaning toward just a helmet light for now.

He just got a road bike last month, and he also has a mountain bike. So preferably a light that can handle both types of terrain? One last thing, I want him to be able to return it if it's not a good match for him.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to respond!

~Jeannine

GeoMan
    Can I become one of your favorite mountain bikers too?

This is very nice of you!

Frankly, we've sold a bunch of brands over the years. You would have to pony up a bit more for a Tesla 4 (Lupine's "affordable" LED lightset) but that's what I would recommend if he's going "helmet only" for now (of course I would recommend this brand, obviously). Can't beat the quality of the product and beam pattern (@ 700 lumens). If you're really trying to impress, show him the best! And remember, you can't skimp on safety!

I ride with one several times a week. Can't be beat.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions but be sure and check out Lupine before you buy.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Wink

Check out Dinotte Lights too. They have a bunch of lights on sale right now.

http://www.dinottelighting.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Frankly, we've sold a bunch of brands over the years. You would have to pony up a bit more for a Tesla 4 (Lupine's "affordable" LED lightset) but that's what I would recommend if he's going "helmet only" for now (of course I would recommend this brand, obviously). Can't beat the quality of the product and beam pattern (@ 700 lumens). If you're really trying to impress, show him the best! And remember, you can't skimp on safety!.
    I would certainly agree with that. I received my Tesla 4 about 10 days ago from Geoman, I'm more than a little impressed.

That said, if you just can't do that much, I'd suggest the Nite Rider MiNewt X2 Duals. They're designed for bars, but I've used the set I have on my helmet with good results. You'll get more lumens per dollar with that setup than anything else in that price range (I think).

Dinotte has some nice options too, but I'm not as familiar with their products. I'm sure others here will chime in with model suggestions.

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Dinotte 400L FTW. For $209 including shipping via priority mail, it can't be beat. Two 2.5 hour li-ion batteries, helmet and bar mounts. Bright, and the spot lenses they come with are, in my opinion, just the ticket for a helmet light.

The nice thing is you can mount the light and battery on the helmet, or use the included extension cable to place the battery in a camelbak while still retaining power on/off and dimming abilities since the switch is on the light head.

Lets RIDE!
    Lots of people here dig the Amoeba (it's sold through the classified ads on this site). I have no experience with it myself, but its small, bright, and if I recall, ~$200.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Have a look at the Airbike Everlight P7 SL2; it cost $264 with shipping and provide a lot of light (700 lm) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200260104241

For more information you could start by reading this thread :
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=207165
    When you think that life is though, keep a positive attitude : remember that it is short ;-)

A waste of time it is is

Ay-Ups

In that price range is probably one of the best ways to go.

http://www.ayup.com.au/australia-shop-kits.html

$300A is about $460 Aus at the moment, for that you'll get the 08-MTB kit which will give you both helmet and bar lights complete with batteries and chargers, and still get change.

These lights are tiny, will provide more than enough output for even the most fussy rider and really look the ants pants.

You can choose your colours, to match his bike or helmet or both, you can choose the beam pattern, narrow for helmet, medium for bars.

Hope that helps

Mar 2008

Amoeba Light

I am buying the Amoeba light from a member on these boards named Jay "scar". I am getting the 2x Cree Q5 WC LED's (spot beam pattern). My friend just bought one and he is very satisfied with it.

Here is his info:

Thanks for the interest in my Amoeba light. Just to let you know who I am, I am a 44 year old mechanical designer for a major medical device manufacturer in Lakewood, Colorado for whom I have worked for the last 20 years. I have a milling machine at home that I am producing my lights with. I also have two small children, therefore, I cannot afford $1000 dollars for a kick ass light set up so I made my own. I am now trying to help out others with similar budget constraints but desire the latest technology.
    I have chosen the LED/reflector combinations based on what I thought produced the best beam, plus parts availability and being able to modify them to fit my application. The total weight of the lighthead and battery is only 159 grams!
    2x Cree Q5 WC LED's (spot beam pattern) - ~450 lumens total output
    regulated at 800ma. Single mode on/off
    anodized aluminum housing (matte silver, bright silver, or dark bronze)
    Optical grade Lexan front cover, rubber switch cover, Trail Tech connectors, waterproof cable gland
    easily mounts with VELCRO
    7.4V 2600mAh rechargeable Li-Ion Battery w/ 1.5 amp smart fast charger
    Trail Tech straight jumper cable (for running battery in Camelbak vs helmet mounting)
    ~3 hours runtime - ~3 hour charge time with a total weight of 159 grams
    or
    2x SSC P4 LED's (flood beam pattern) - ~400 lumens total output
    Optical grade Lexan front cover, rubber switch cover, Trail Tech connectors, waterproof cable gland easily mounts with VELCRO
    Trail Tech straight jumper cable (for running battery in Camelbak vs helmet mounting)
    $200 dollars (plus $10 shipping Priority USPS in the USA) for 1 light head, battery, smart charger, charger adaptor cable, and Trail Tech straight jumper cable.
    2x Cree R2 WH LED's (spot beam pattern)- ~520 lumens total output
    Optical grade Lexan front cover, rubber switch cover, Trail Tech connectors, waterproof cable gland
    easily mounts with VELCRO
    $240 dollars (plus $10 shipping Priority USPS in the USA) for 1 light head, battery, smart charger, charger adaptor cable, and Trail Tech straight jumper cable.
    $40 for 3hr batteries, $70 for a 6hr battery. I can also get a car charger for $16. Handle bar mount for $10.
    I will stand behind the quality of my lights and will be available for any service and/or upgrades that are required. I have been selling lights since December. Got Amoeba's all over including Hawaii, Canada, England, Taiwan, Switzerland, a large following in Eugene, Oregon, and too many others to list. Have had multiple customers run Amoeba's in 24 hour events, including multiple solo races. Let me know if you need any more pictures or information. I am set-up do PayPal transactions.
    Here is the link to my current classified ad - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=25611&cat=27
    Here is a link to the original thread that I started that has a lot of info and pics - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354430
    Here is a link to another thread that some customers have given their feedback on their Amoeba's - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=403337
    Thanks again for your interest and I hope I can help you with your lighting needs,
    Jay

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    dinotte 400L is the best deal around. 6 power setting with 3 bright settgin and 3 flash setting. not the cheap on/off made at home type with no heatsink. dinotte have a great heat sink alu housing heat sensitive circuit design that is small and light weight. half a pound with the battery, so you can mount both light and battery on the helmet without feeling the weight. best longest 2 year warrenty around, no one can beat that. easy upgradable leds with great customer service for warrenty work. did I say that they will ship you a new light next day air free, if your light breaks within 2 years? $209 with two batteries and free next day shipping. can't be beat anywhere. order the optional lens kit for $10 more for caving, hiking, or running. very well made. Dinotte have the best 60 day return policy also, I use mine 600L for 50 day and they still took it back full refund. definitly a company that wants to keep it's customers for a while. I don't work for dinotte, just tryout their 600L last year, wasn't happy, return them, built my own, but sure like their 800L very much and happy with 800L now.

Members who have read this thread: 0