helmet leak overflow!!!- Mtbr.com
    IdontShootPeopleAnyMore

helmet leak overflow!!!

So its been getting up in the 70's in VA and this is some of the warmest weather I have mtn biked in... (moved from VT)

I am having issues which I fear will get worse (as the temp climbs to VA's 90's and 100% humidity)... When I get really hot I sweat ALOT and sweat builds up in my helmet (specialized brand but I dont remember the model...)

The problem is when I stop and adjust my helmet or look down with my helmet pointing directly down 90 at the ground alot of sweat leaks down and floods my glasses... This is a problem as it distorts my vision and is really annoying... also it burns my eyes and makes my contacts blurry...

We are talking ounces of sweat... like a stream of warm salty ummm sweaty sweat.

Anyone else have this problem or is this unique to my mellon head?
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

^ That's what I do
    Get a haircut. I need one too.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

DeForest Stump
    Pick up a couple of these, Pearl Izumi sweat band. When 1 gets saturated mid ride switch to the other.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the south. You could wear a thin head band but ultimately that just delays the inevitable. Maybe try riding without glasses. Unless its muddy I don't need them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the same problem/

I wear a Headsweats Shorty under my helmet. It wicks the sweat up from the band and has a lot of surface area to evaporate it off the top. I wouldn't be able to ride in hot weather without it.

mtbr member
    I believe there are devices available (gutter thingie) that direct sweat to the sides where it can drain off. You can also apply a curved line of chapstick above your eyebrows that functions in much the same way. I ride in temps approaching 100 in the summer and usually just stop periodically to drain my helmet pads. I lean forward and press the helmet against my forehead to squeeze out all the tasty juices.

All fat, all the time.
    Good suggestions so far...
    Are you keeping the rest of your body cool too? A good wicking shirt or jersey can help alot if you don't already ride with one.
    When it gets too hot, I will put ice cubes in my camelback bladder....helps to cool the core of the body while you drink.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21
    I believe there are devices available (gutter thingie) that direct sweat to the sides where it can drain off.

http://www.rei.com/product/710872 (you can find it elsewhere too)

I've used this (Halo with the gutter thingy) for many years. Directs sweat to the temples to drain. It really works great, and I live in GA, so...

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    Good suggestions so far...
    Are you keeping the rest of your body cool too? A good wicking shirt or jersey can help alot if you don't already ride with one.
    When it gets too hot, I will put ice cubes in my camelback bladder....helps to cool the core of the body while you drink.
    yea, I have a ton of wicking shirts and jersys that work awesome...

hopping_rocks my hair is less than an inch right now.... down from 15 inches a few years ago and man i feel the difference.... im thinking about cutting it shorter but I am also trying to find a job and don't want to look like a skin head

good suggestions guys, i never thought about a sweat band thingey... thanks for all the wondrfull help

also I am a huge fan of the ice cube camel back!!!

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    I just am a massive sweat machine... its in my genes... my grandfather had it. my dad had it and now i have it... kind of like the force but not as cool...

usually when I am physically active such as hiking or biking in warmer or hot weather I have to drink about a liter an hour to compensate for water loss... I have a 3 liter camel back and nearly drained it yesterday after 2hr 25 min ride...
    Im thinkin about strappin some waterbottles with electrolytes to my frame but I have no eyelet mounts for water cages so Im thinkin velcro and ziptyes...

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have the same problem. But I bet I have it worse. Only because I never knew anyone who had it as bad. It's even a problem on a cold winter day.

I've tried the Halo sweat band with the gutter, but it didn't work for me. It's not very absorbent to begin with, so when it gets saturated, which happens quickly, it'll still overflow into my eyes when I look down. I use a cheap cotton head band that's thick and absorbent. It'll fill up in about 30 minutes. As soon as it starts dripping into my eyes I just wring it out and start over. It holds a surprising amount of water.

I've heard of people sticking a maxi pad in their helmet. It would probably work for awhile, but I'm sure I'd saturate that too. I don't know if I could just wring it out and re-apply.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just use bandannas -(Grateful Dead hats, a friend of mine once called them). Not high tech, but cheap. Fold it into a triangle, maybe roll it once along the folded edge, tie the two corners at the ends of the fold into a knot behind my head, flip the 3rd corner over the top of my head, pull on the helmet. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes, keeps the top of my head from sunburning through the helmet vents.

At rest stops, I'll pull it off along with my gloves and let it air out.

thin blue line
    I have had better results with the Halo headband here in south Texas than anything else I have tried. True, it does not contain a great deal of the sweat, but it has been successful in directing the sweat from my eyes. I hear the maxi pad thing also works well when stuffed into your armpits for job interviews. So technically, you could grab a box and kill two birds with one stone.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. G.Orwell

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I have the same problem/

I wear a Headsweats Shorty under my helmet. It wicks the sweat up from the band and has a lot of surface area to evaporate it off the top. I wouldn't be able to ride in hot weather without it.
    +1
    plus it keeps the inside of your helmet clean

mtbr member
    You may want something with better air flow, I haven't owned a Specialized helmet in years and don't remember how they were vented. I think color makes a big difference too. I've had dark and white helmets and the white seems to keep my head cooler.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA_JB
    You may want something with better air flow, I haven't owned a Specialized helmet in years and don't remember how they were vented. I think color makes a big difference too. I've had dark and white helmets and the white seems to keep my head cooler.
    haha mine is white

to the other sugestions... I have MASSIVE BRAINS which equals pretty huge noggin which makes my wear a xxl size helmet (or an 8-1/4" hat) which is just barely fitting as it is... its snug but not too snug...

I tried to wear a 1mm thick balclava last winter up in VT and it didn't fit under my helmet (too tight, it induced headache) ... so I am thinking I will get some headband or dew-rag looking thing and just have to get a helmet that is even bigger...

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

DeForest Stump
    One thing about wearing anything under your helmet is it will make your head a little warmer since it blocks some air flow. It's a trade off really.
    This weekend in N.E. was the warmest in 6 months, 70 yesterday and 60 today. I rode today and sweat a whole bunch. Weighed myself before I left - 140# When I got back -135# I guess I didn't drink enough of the agua out there.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    This is more effective than a Halo, as it avoids the saturation problem:

http://www.sweatgutr.com/sports-sweatband.html

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    This is more effective than a Halo, as it avoids the saturation problem:

http://www.sweatgutr.com/sports-sweatband.html
    yea, i was checking them out, they are like $16 on pricepoint... you use one? or anyone have any experience with it?

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    A friend who sweats heavily has both. He says the Sweat Gutr is far more effective.

I don't use either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    I have the same problem/

I might have to try that. I have something similar, but it covers my ears too. I've only been using it for cold weather. The thing is (and I still have to test this more), it seems to be effective for sweat control when it warms up. Perhaps I should try it on a warm day and see how it goes.

My other ride is your mom
    Take it from a rider in AZ who rides daily in July and August in 110 heat.....you learn which way to not turn your head while riding....eventually, all do-rags get saturated....and stopping sometimes is worse because you don't have air moving over your body. I've gotten used to sweat dripping down my lenses....wiping it makes it worse....you're better off just leaving it and cleaning after the ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0