Helmet for Large Noggin?- Mtbr.com
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Helmet for Large Noggin?

Was going to post this on the General Discussion but figured that this was a more appropriate place. I'm not a huge guy. Just have a large head. Have always had troble finging helmets to fit me. I wanted to get a Giro Xen but tried it on the other day and it crushed my forehead in the Large size. My sized baseball hat size is 7 3/4 to 7 7/8. I'd prefer a helmet with a visor as I'm exclusively a trail rider here in PA. (helps deflect branches and green briars (pickers) here on our wooded trails) Any advice or suggestions? I currently am using a Bell helmet that sits very high on my head. The Bell does seem to fit more oval shaped heads (mine) better than Giro (more round) although I'm open to any other brands. Does anyone know how large Pro-Tec's XL is? I could use a second helmet with less venting for riding here in winter.
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Nov 2004
    I don't know my hat size, but I have a large head as well. I am using a 2004 Giro Havoc helmet. It adjusts to fit my head very well. Very comfortable, but not quite the bling factor that the Xen has. However, I would have to assume that both helmets fit similarly since they are both made by Giro so it may not work for you. ???

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    I don't have a particularly large head, but I do have a Specialized Decibel helmet and it fits me real well. They put this "Pro-fit" retention system on the back and you can snug it up (or loosen it) as much as you like for a perfect fit (at least on my noggin). I can sinch it up so it would stay on even without the chin straps. They're a little on the expensive side, but well worth the money. Might be worth a look into before you buy something else.
    MCM# 2007.1

Am I getting too bulky?
    An XL ProTec won't even start to go down on my head. I ride with a Bell X-Ray.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

President, CEO of Earth

big head = big branes!!!

I don't have a massive noggin, but pretty big, and I've always found Giro L-XL sizes (if they still make the in that size) to be waaay to big for me.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    My sized baseball hat size is 7 3/4 to 7 7/8. !
    My long lost brother!

I used to use a Giro XL helmet; don't think they make XL any more.

Check out Trek helmets. I can't fit into most (read: "any") "Large" helmets I tried, except I found a Trek model (that is technically a size "M/L", I think) that somehow works. It's got a dial-in retention strap in the back that makes for a pretty wide range.

mtbr Decade+

How is PA East coast?

Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, P.E.I., New Brunswick, Maine, New York, Massachusetts, etc. But PA? Even Georgia or Florida.

By the way, my lovely wife gave me a Giro Havoc for Christmas, size large. Fits me with an above averaged sized unit, I mean cranium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have the Bell Influx which fits my 7 3/4 head and then some. The shell is laminated and comes with a removable visor. I picked it up from the LBS for $55. its comfortable and light, but could use a bit more ventilation....overall though, it is very comfortable and fit me better than any of the other helmets in the store.

Oh, btw....the sweat pads in it are antimicrobial. Ive had the helmet since august and have the same un-washed pads in it and the helmet does not smell at all....more than I can say for my gloves

livin' large
    I ound the giro xen fits my melon pretty well,it's a large, and my head measures 61cm a round, maybe my head is more round than yours

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    An XL ProTec won't even start to go down on my head. I ride with a Bell X-Ray.
    I always have trouble finding headgear, whether it's bike helmets or crash helmets, Bell X-Ray here too, great hat.

Jan 2004

Bell X-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Was going to post this on the General Discussion but figured that this was a more appropriate place. I'm not a huge guy. Just have a large head. Have always had troble finging helmets to fit me. I wanted to get a Giro Xen but tried it on the other day and it crushed my forehead in the Large size. My sized baseball hat size is 7 3/4 to 7 7/8. I'd prefer a helmet with a visor as I'm exclusively a trail rider here in PA. (helps deflect branches and green briars (pickers) here on our wooded trails) Any advice or suggestions? I currently am using a Bell helmet that sits very high on my head. The Bell does seem to fit more oval shaped heads (mine) better than Giro (more round) although I'm open to any other brands. Does anyone know how large Pro-Tec's XL is? I could use a second helmet with less venting for riding here in winter.
    Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
    I have a fat head...about 7 15/16 around but with plenty of skull on the topside as well. The only trail helmet I have found that fits well is the Bell X-Ray...though it rides a little bit high on my head. The only DH helmet that I found to fit well is the Bell Tension, though it has been discontinued this year and has been replaced with the Bell Bellistic which doesn't even come close to fitting. The Giros are all smaller including the Xen.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the input...

I e-mailed Bell. They suggested the X-ray. It was what I was "heading" toward buying anyway. My old bucket is an old Bell Rubicon Pro and, as in the post above, fits my noggin but rides a little high. So...X-ray it is! Just wish I could find something that sat a little lower and protected the lower rear portion of my skull..... Thanks again!
    Oh, and uh...as the old Spooky T-shirts said: "East Coast Hardcore!"

Jun 2004

Good job! got an xray today

I have been wanting a new hement for my 7 7/8 head, and mom gave me a $100 performance gift certificate for my birthday. I couldnt decide what to get, went to an lbs to try them on and they had 04 xrays for $70 so I picked one up. I like it!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I have a pretty big head and I use a Giro E2, in the biggest size it comes in.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

X-ray it is!

Thanks for the reply. I am going to buy an X-ray. Wishing it came in some more stealthy colors like matte black or all olive, but oh well.
    scotch or bourbon?

I am torn between Yuengling or microbrew!