Helmet for Infant?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet for Infant?

I have a six month old that I hope to tow behind me in a bike trailer this spring. What helmet are other parents using for their infants?

Thanks...

ride hard take risks
    Thats a chalenging one, i have kids, well teens now but never looked into the tow thing. My guess would be to check with the manufactures of the tow carrier i would hope they thought about that so they could give advise to parents

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My wife and I currently use a Giro Me2 on our son. Give them a look. They fit really well since they have the Acculok system on them. It was tough finding a small enough helmet but it fits well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lil Bell

We use a L'il Bell for our 19 month old. It seems to fit him well, he doesnt seem to mind wearing it -and it stays put. Bought it at LBS. Uses thick/thin pads for size adjustment -not ideal as our son pulls them out before/after rides. He'll probably outgrow it this summer.

HJB

Apr 2004
    How young are we talking here? Very young babies just don't have the strength in their necks for the added weight of a helmet. I'd talk to the little ones pediatrician first.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    There really aren't any true infant helmets out there. This is most likely because of liability issues and the whole neck stregnth issues. Most are really toddler helmets that can be cranked down to fit at best a 10-12 month old and then can adjust out to fit up to an average 3 year old. Giro makes a nice one. As does Vigor. There are some offbrand ones I've seen that must come out of the Giro factory because they're almost exact replicas - and a good bit cheaper. Anyway, heads come in all shapes and sizes, but in addition to fit, please be sure that the neck strength is there. Given the speeds of bikes and trailers, a kid will get jostled a good bit more than in a jog stroller or child carrier. S

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter
    I have a six month old that I hope to tow behind me in a bike trailer this spring. What helmet are other parents using for their infants?

Thanks...
    How about lots of bubble wrap?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My pediatrian said 12-16 mos is the soonest you should take infants in the trailer on bike paths.

adult onset ADHD

Put the car seat into the trailer

One thing you might try to do is put the car seat into the trailer. I used to attach ours with jumbo (3") velcro straps. It really helps when the child is not strong enough yet to sit upright. It would also help in a crash should that ever happen.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

Slowest Rider

Better with no helmet, Best is no riding til 12 months

I had the same problem with my youngest girl when an infant. I went to five bike stores, each with excellent helmet selections, and never found one small enought to fit. The smallest and best was a small Giro ME2 Infant with princesses on it that she finally started fitting at 12-18 months and still fits well at 3.5 yo.

I began to get a little smarter and realize there's a reason for not finding a small infant (under 12 months) helmet. The neck just isn't strong enough to hold a helmet. Even when I put on the above Giro ME2, it pulled her head so it flopped down in front blocking her vision, or to the side. That is, the helmet just made things worse for the neck - a bigger issue than skull fractures.

Like Nor'Easter, I finally got rid of the helmet and just fit a whole (car seat) infant carrier with good head and neck support into my dual Burley and strapped it down well. Even then, I did minimal riding with the trailer until she got bigger, and even then very slow and cautious on smooth paved trails due to the poor neck strength.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 02-04-2006 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Nor'Easter beat me to the infant car seat suggestion
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    The car seat in the trailer worked for me and secured my little guy alot better than bubble wrap.

At that age though even if they had a helmet that small in the case of an accident it probably would not do any good. So i stayed on dedicated bike paths.

try driving your car less
    talk to your pediatrician!

i was strongly advised not to use the bike trailer until a helmet fit. AND i was strongly advised NOT to put the car seat in the stroller.

when your kid is bigger (1 year), get a nice helmet that adjusts. the one i have doesnt adjust and this spring i will have to get one that does. i will check out that giro.

taking your kid out on the trailer too early is being selfish. get a chariot cougar and go running until he / she is old enough. then switch to bike mode.

how would you feel if your kid was injured because you went out too early? i realize that this can happen even after the 1 year mark, but if it happened when the pediatrician TOLD you NOT to go out in the trailer, you are being a selfish irresonpsible parent. kids have died/become parapalegic doing what others here suggest (car seat/etc.), there is a reason the ped tells you to wait.

i struggled with this... i really wanted to go riding with the trailer. but face it you are going to ride less and have to change your ways, because the kid will not adapt to you. you must adapt.

seriously, try going running. sucks the first few times, but you might get into it. keeps you in shape for next year when you can ride with the kid.
    Only boring people get bored.

Oct 2005

been there, done that

2 big problems: babies don't have the neck strength, and the baby will almost definately fall asleep and then fall over. the thin straps in the trailers will not hold babies upright. your only chance is to put the car seat in the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    talk to your pediatrician!

i was strongly advised not to use the bike trailer until a helmet fit. AND i was strongly advised NOT to put the car seat in the stroller.

when your kid is bigger (1 year), get a nice helmet that adjusts. the one i have doesnt adjust and this spring i will have to get one that does. i will check out that giro.

taking your kid out on the trailer too early is being selfish. get a chariot cougar and go running until he / she is old enough. then switch to bike mode.

how would you feel if your kid was injured because you went out too early? i realize that this can happen even after the 1 year mark, but if it happened when the pediatrician TOLD you NOT to go out in the trailer, you are being a selfish irresonpsible parent. kids have died/become parapalegic doing what others here suggest (car seat/etc.), there is a reason the ped tells you to wait.

i struggled with this... i really wanted to go riding with the trailer. but face it you are going to ride less and have to change your ways, because the kid will not adapt to you. you must adapt.

seriously, try going running. sucks the first few times, but you might get into it. keeps you in shape for next year when you can ride with the kid.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Like others said, try and wait until the kid's 12 months or older before trying these ride-alongs. And even when that happens, do make sure that the temperatures are moderate enough for the kid. It's easy to be a bit overeager and take the kid out when it's too hot or too cold out (been there, done that).

As for the helmet itself, after kid's first birthday, take him or her to a bike shop and give a few helmets a try. Once you see which helmet fits best, then shop around - online or around the stores - for the best price. My kid uses a Giro ME2. He's had it since he was about a year old or so, and it'll likely fit him for a couple more years.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Or...

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    As for the helmet itself, after kid's first birthday, take him or her to a bike shop and give a few helmets a try. Once you see which helmet fits best, then shop around - online or around the stores - for the best price.
    ... support the shop that had what you needed in stock and available to try on. S

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I wanted to tow my daughter also but all the recommendations I read said wait until they are atleast 1 year old.
    As for helmets there are a number of toddler helmets available. Make sure the one you buy is easy to adjust for fit as thier heads will grow. Also one review I read warned against visors on toddle helmets as they can put more force on the neck.
    We have a Serfas Rookie which works well.
    Craig

Probably drunk right now

None, you moron...

Thanks...
    Kids necks can barely support their heads at 6 months. They shouldn't be in a bike carrier.

Nervous Descender

Thanks...
    Six months old is pretty young for a trailer. I couldn't find a helmet that would fit an infant comfortably. When my daughter was about 8 months old, I mounted a Graco Snug Ride in my Burley D'lite. Mount it in the forward-facing direction- basically it is a supportive seat. No helmet required. Go slow when they're that young (10 mph or less), and stick to the smooth bike paths. You can work on your spin in an easy gear, or find a nice hill and climb it over and over again. I do NOT advocate NOT using a helmet, however, the Snug Ride provides a protective enclosure with a secondary roll/crash bar, and the Burley already has excellent crash protection.
    Last edited by Adirondack Blues; 03-12-2006 at 05:50 AM.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member

Bell Boomerang for mine

Thanks...
    I got the Bell Boomerang (says for 8 months+) when my then-seven-month-old started riding with me. I started on smoother roads & fireroads and stayed slow. The helmet fit fine and he didn't complain. Also, Chariot trailers sells a side-bolster seat insert that we used in the beginning that keeps the kid from slouching over when they inevitably fall asleep.

The first pic is his first ride at about 7 months, and the 2nd is at 9 months in the Marin Headlands where you can see the side bolsters.

At 2 years now he's just outgrown the Boomerang.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    A little harsh there, Ken. Maybe you should have read where he says he's planning for the spring, not when the kid is 6 months. So they'll be about 8 months old and probably fine for wearing a helmet. Of course all children are individuals so it should depend on how strong the kid is at the time.

Members who have read this thread: 0