Helmet help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet help

Jun 2006

Helmet help

Yes I'm one of those guys that won't wear the normal bike helmets. Soooo I need help with skate style helmets. The only one that i can find that is specifically designed for MTB is the Giro Flak. For those that have tried the Flak how do you like it? Does it really matter if the helmet was specifically designed for mountain biking of not? Because I think I would have to order the Flak not knowing how it fits, but there are tons of normal skate style helmets that I can try on around where I live. Thanks.

Formerly DMR For Life
    one skate style helmet that I like and use is the pro-tec ace dig even comes with a visor and a google strap for those shuttle runs (it fits slightly more oval heads that most skate helmets that i've found)

sorry can't help you with the giro though

DMR

mtbr member
    I've broken 2 Bell Factions. Both times, it saved my bacon. I wont wear anything else. I also have a Bell Bellistic, full face. Right now, it's scratched up, and the visor is broken. Two crashes, back to back on a right hand hip. Both times it at least kept me from having stiches.
    One word.

BELL!

What can I say? I'm passionate.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Have you looked at the GIRO Semi MX?

Also, you might look at the Giro Xen.

Jun 2006
    Thanks for your help guys. I can't seem to find any of the mentioned helmets on my LBS's websites. They either have brands I've never heard of or full face helmets. I'd love a full face but I think that's a little too much untill I start downhilling and freeriding. I'll have to actually go to the stores in person (tomorrow maybe) and see what they have. If they don't have any it looks like Dicks Sporting Goods has Some of them.

DMR For Life, is the visor removable?

Formerly DMR For Life
    yeah it is

DMR

Jun 2006
    DMR, one more question. Is the Ace Dig basically the same as the other Aces but it has the visor? Because I'd have to order the Dig and I know that the normal Aces fit me well. Thnaks.

I walk up hills
    Was looking for the same style lid, as I'm just getting back into the sport.
    I like my cheap Pryme 8 that I found locally.

They also have a really nice full face, again for a good price, I'll upgrade to that when I get a little better.

mtbr member
    BTW, bell factions cost less than $30, USD.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by newMTBer
    DMR, one more question. Is the Ace Dig basically the same as the other Aces but it has the visor? Because I'd have to order the Dig and I know that the normal Aces fit me well. Thnaks.
    to tell you the truth i'm not totally sure but comparing the pics on protecs website it certiuanly looks like the same helmet except with the visor mounts and visor AFAIK

Its probally one of the cool (airflow wise) from what i have seen IMO

DMR

Jun 2006
    DMR or anyone, do you have a picture of the Dig with the visor taken off? Thanks.

Interlectchewal

Another Ace Dig Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by newMTBer
    DMR or anyone, do you have a picture of the Dig with the visor taken off? Thanks.
    I don't have a picture of the Ace Dig with the visor off (I'm pretty sure it looks just like this), but I figured I'd throw in my recommendation. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago as a BMX helmet for my 7-year-old nephew. I bought it on-line and it was even nicer than I expected.

The construction is very similar to my 13-year-old Troy Lee Designs / Troxel helmet, with a hard plastic shell. What's even better about the Pro-Tec is the SXP foam liner which is designed for multiple hits.

It comes with four pads for the inside (front and back, two different thicknesses), so you can fine-tune the fit. My guess is the fit would be exactly the same as the Ace (non-Dig).

I ordered the Ace Dig because I think the visor makes it look more like a BMX/MTB helmet than a skate helmet. Then the first thing my nephew asked was, "Does the visor come off?" If you think you're not going to use the visor, I'd just go with the Ace.

Dec 2005

Bell Faction

I have to second the vote for the Bell FACTION.

It's round, it covers a good portion of the head, it stays put on your skull, and it's engineered to take multiple impacts.

I did about a weeks worth of research on the web and found that the Bell Faction was on a short list of bike helmets that met the above criteria since it is approved for both biking and skating/skateboarding.

Most helmets today are knobby yet aerodynamic foam tea cozzies with gigantic holes for ventilation that create a smaller area for stress points (an thus a larger potential for accute trauma) and pointy obtrusions that can (in a rolling crash) easily catch and stick to earth or debris and twist the helmet off of (or along with) your head.

I think specialized has a helmet that is similar to the Faction, but I don't know if it is rated for multiple impacts. If it's approved for outdoor skating, then it should be good for multiple impacts.

Members who have read this thread: 0