mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Helmet or handlebar mount?

Probably has already been covered but i must ask,
    Which is best for night riding and provides the best over-all lighting as i have only used handlebar mounted lights.
    Is there good reason to go helmet mount?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Both are best.

Lets RIDE!
    Handlebar will let you see the texture of the trail better. Head will let you see around the tight corners (and also blind people who you're talking to :-)

I like to have both. If you can only have one though, it's going to depend on how twisty your local trails are.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Both are best.
    +1 ....They are symbiotic

mtbr member
    I prefer to have both helmet and bar lights
    and when I have lent my bar light out to mates and just rode with helmet light it does seem to make the trail seem very flat .and this can catch you out mainly in hollows .

so I think if I could only have one it would be a bar light.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    I prefer to have both helmet and bar lights
    and when I have lent my bar light out to mates and just rode with helmet light it does seem to make the trail seem very flat .and this can catch you out mainly in hollows .

so I think if I could only have one it would be a bar light.

and if your helmet light is a narrow beam, the "dancing fairy" effect starts to occur as well. But as with everything, personal preference is the decider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Before I started nightriding (and purchased first light) I read quite a bit in these forums. Seemed that the consensus I gathered was helmet...so i purchased a joystick...but the point above is true or my night vision may be lacking....the helmet only seems to cause the flatness described above. So I added a bar (minit x2)...wow, what a difference running both has...much more confidence... which goes back to the other point many make in this formu...you cant have enough light!
    The other advantage is that I can (depending on conditions) run one/both at a lower setting to increase burntime. Oh, and you have a backup too of sorts.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've found that placing a light on the helmet makes it seem to be a lot brighter than it actually is. I commute with a Minewt Mini-USB and it is just adequate on the handlebars but when I mounted it on to my helmet it was just amazing. I was able to see all kinds of things that I would not have seen had the light been bar mounted.

mtbr member

depends on your riding style

Honestly, the newer lights are so bright; it almost makes a helmet light a non issue. ...I say almost, because having a way to look way down the trail is pretty beneficial when you are riding fast at night down narrow trails ...like I do almost exclusively.

Peripheral vision is an issue if you use only a head lamp. I have a 500 lumen med beam and it is almost the 100% solution. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=465022 I miss the helmet spotlight when I get going really fast though, I start squinting in the far away darkness to try to see further ahead.

Members who have read this thread: 0