Helmet or Handlebar mount?- Mtbr.com
    Dagenham Dave

Helmet or Handlebar mount?

I am about to purchase an Endurenz LED light (New Zealand company) for 12/24 hour racing with a 4.4ah (Canadian) Li-Ion battery, which is good for 7.5hrs on full power.

According to the manufacturer, all I will need is the one light (unless I become a "power junkie"), which should be mounted on my helmet.

Would the consensus of opinion be that if you are running one powerful light, that helmet mount is preferable to handlebar mount?

Dave V.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave V.
    I am about to purchase an Endurenz LED light (New Zealand company) for 12/24 hour racing with a 4.4ah (Canadian) Li-Ion battery, which is good for 7.5hrs on full power.

According to the manufacturer, all I will need is the one light (unless I become a "power junkie"), which should be mounted on my helmet.

Would the consensus of opinion be that if you are running one powerful light, that helmet mount is preferable to handlebar mount?

Dave V.
    IMO some wide beam low power light on handle bars nicely complements the helmet light and serves as a backup. I found that on a single track I prefer to see what is directly in front of me, with peripheral vision, even when I turn my head around to look at the next corner. Even some cheap LED commuter light serves the purpose for that.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Helmet

I would suggest a helmet mount if you are getting just one light. Like I stated in another post regarding this question...your bike goes where you look. In most cases you have a wider field of vision with your mellon than you do with your handle bar. Think of what your head does in relation to your handlebar in tight singletrack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Definitely helmet. Light goes where you look and it's nice to have when doing repairs or taking a pee at 3 AM.

Dave V.

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    IMO some wide beam low power light on handle bars nicely complements the helmet light and serves as a backup. I found that on a single track I prefer to see what is directly in front of me, with peripheral vision, even when I turn my head around to look at the next corner. Even some cheap LED commuter light serves the purpose for that.

Thanks Axe...

I just got my light, and it really is bright. Run time of 7.5 hours!

I went with helmet mount...

Dave V.

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyP
    Definitely helmet. Light goes where you look and it's nice to have when doing repairs or taking a pee at 3 AM.

Thanks Randy.

Dave V.

Dagenham Dave

Depth Perception?

Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    I would suggest a helmet mount if you are getting just one light. Like I stated in another post regarding this question...your bike goes where you look. In most cases you have a wider field of vision with your mellon than you do with your handle bar. Think of what your head does in relation to your handlebar in tight singletrack.

Thanks Jeff...

Some guys here on an Australian chat group reckon that a single helmet mount doesn't give any proper idea of obstacle depth. Has that been your experience?

Dave V.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bingo

Some guys here on an Australian chat group reckon that a single helmet mount doesn't give any proper idea of obstacle depth. Has that been your experience?

Dave V.
    Hi Dave -

I run mostly a helmet light, but have run it handlebar mounted from time to time. Here in New Mexico we have a decomprosed granite soil, and in some some spots it has a white crusty component to it. The helmet light really misses on the depth perception, which makes riding the fully rigid SS a little more difficult on descents in rock gardens. I've had the elbows buckle a few times unexpectedly, but no crash because of it. The handle bar mounted light picks this up much better and allows me to descend faster.

But we also have a lot of wildlife on the trails I ride at night, and I prefer to see what is on the side of me - so I that is why I prefer the helmet mount.

Matt

Trail rider and racer
    I have one powerful light.

Its on my helmet. Bar mounted lights have a limited suitability to trail riding. Id bar mount if using two lights.

If using just one mount it on the helmet. That way where you look your light will shine.
    Trev!

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Hi Dave -

I run mostly a helmet light, but have run it handlebar mounted from time to time. Here in New Mexico we have a decomprosed granite soil, and in some some spots it has a white crusty component to it. The helmet light really misses on the depth perception, which makes riding the fully rigid SS a little more difficult on descents in rock gardens. I've had the elbows buckle a few times unexpectedly, but no crash because of it. The handle bar mounted light picks this up much better and allows me to descend faster.

But we also have a lot of wildlife on the trails I ride at night, and I prefer to see what is on the side of me - so I that is why I prefer the helmet mount.

Matt
    Thanks Matt. I'm gonna go with the handlebar mount and see how I go.

Happy riding in New Mexico - man all these cool places that we only see in movies!!!

Dave

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I have one powerful light.

Its on my helmet. Bar mounted lights have a limited suitability to trail riding. Id bar mount if using two lights.

If using just one mount it on the helmet. That way where you look your light will shine.

Thanks Trevor - I've gone with the helmet mount...

Trail rider and racer
    Thanks Trevor - I've gone with the helmet mount...
    Great choice! To me it makes all the sense in the world. Enjoy your light.
    Trev!

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Great choice! To me it makes all the sense in the world. Enjoy your light.

Thanks Trevor. All the best.

Dave V.
    Australia

Members who have read this thread: 0