Helmet or handle bars?- Mtbr.com
    Just a flesh wound

Helmet or handle bars?

Which do you prefer?

I prefer the helmet mount. The handle bar set-up was too off course for me for single track. The helmet mount was good in that it enabled me to look where I wanted to go.

Thoughts? I am fairly new to night riding. I have a 400 lumen dual Cree XR-E helmet mount DIY. Replaced an old 10W Halogen Niterider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Both having one on the handle bars allows light too follow your trails no matter where the wheel points and a constant source of light on the track. Having one also mounted on the helmet then allows the freedom to point the light source where you want it while your bar lights still light up the ground. I have two mounted on the bars and just one on the helmet this gives me my best options that best suits my needs.

Just a flesh wound

Thanks for the input

I will try the handle bar mount as well. I have only had 1 light before, so I had to choose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    I will try the handle bar mount as well. I have only had 1 light before, so I had to choose.
    If you only have one light then in my opinion that single light is better mounted on the helmet like you had it. Maybe until you can invest some extra cash in a second light find one of the bright torches that can be handle bar mounted just to give you light on the deck. You can pick up some of these torches for $10-$15 clams at least this would be a safer option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    Which do you prefer?

I prefer the helmet mount. The handle bar set-up was too off course for me for single track. The helmet mount was good in that it enabled me to look where I wanted to go.

Thoughts? I am fairly new to night riding. I have a 400 lumen dual Cree XR-E helmet mount DIY. Replaced an old 10W Halogen Niterider.
    I just had a look at your new light in your other thread and the 8 degree optics you use are fine for helmet use, but far too narrow for use on the bar.

You will want around 15degrees for bar use.

Just a flesh wound

Thanks Betty

I was wondering which optic to get for the bar mount. I'll post pix of the bike and the beam shots when done (from the trail).

Members who have read this thread: 0