• 09-23-2004
    jtnjw
    helmet with hair/ponytail port
    Any ideas?
  • 09-23-2004
    gibby
    Just braid it low, that way it's flat against your head.
  • 09-23-2004
    jtnjw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gibby
    Just braid it low, that way it's flat against your head.

Thanks, but I don't braid my hair and I don't want it against my neck. I'd rather have a helmet with a hair port, but it's hard to find that info on helmets. The Giro Havoc is the only one I've found so far and I'd like to have a few options.
  • 09-23-2004
    formica
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jtnjw
    Thanks, but I don't braid my hair and I don't want it against my neck. I'd rather have a helmet with a hair port, but it's hard to find that info on helmets. The Giro Havoc is the only one I've found so far and I'd like to have a few options.

There is one called the Venus which has a cut out.

formica
  • 09-24-2004
    NoDunut4U
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formica
    There is one called the Venus which has a cut out.

formica

My daughter has a softball helmet with a pony-tail cut-out, perhaps that would work?
    (I weat Kayak and skateboard helmets on my bike, so why not?-)
  • 09-24-2004
    catzilla
  • 09-24-2004
    CycleMainiac
    Most helmets these days have the type of inside rigging that will accomodate a pony tail.

With Giro's Roc Loc system for exampe you can easily pull your hair out over the back strap.

Since head shape and helmet are so variable, I suggest going to a shop and trying on different styles and models to find what works for you.

There are some helmet and head shapes that just do not work well together. I sooooooo wanted a catlike helmet. They are so light and airy. They are more round rather than oblong. My head is oblong. Even though I got the rigging to fit I could still slide my hands up under the helmet on the sides. Not good.
  • 09-24-2004
    crashedandburned
    I saw one girl....
    pull it out the sides of her helmet so she looked like Pippy Longstocking and my GF just pull out of the back of her helmet about the Roc-loc
  • 09-24-2004
    Spike
    Venting?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDunut4U
    My daughter has a softball helmet with a pony-tail cut-out, perhaps that would work?
    (I weat Kayak and skateboard helmets on my bike, so why not?-)

Do softball helmets have vents like bike helmets do? In a warm climate I think this would be important. Are they as light as bike helmets? Since you only wear a softball helmet for short periods of time, I'm guessing they aren't as comfort oriented as bike helmets are.

Spike
  • 09-24-2004
    formica
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike
    Do softball helmets have vents like bike helmets do? In a warm climate I think this would be important. Are they as light as bike helmets? Since you only wear a softball helmet for short periods of time, I'm guessing they aren't as comfort oriented as bike helmets are.

Spike

also, helmets are designed diferently for different sports in terms of the kinds of foams used, and the types of impacts they are designed to take.

formica
  • 09-30-2004
    worldpiste
    My wife likes her Laser for this very reason. And she' s goe pretty thick hair and so her braid is thick too. QBP was distributing them, so any lbs can get 'em. Kinda spendy though.