Helmet - FR and Snow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet - FR and Snow

So I have an XC lid and a Full face.. there is the odd occasion - skatepark - pumptrack where I wouldn't mind a dirt jumper lid.

Seeing as its the ski season coming up does anyone have any recommendations for a ski helmet that can comfortably be converted into a decent dirt lid for summer? I guess removable ear thing's would be the feature that it needs.

Any help appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The removeable ear things suck anyway. Just pick up a Fox Transition helmet. In the winter, you can wear a beanie under it (that is what I do).

Awesome helmet, super light and it looks good. Can't ask for much more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Look at bern helmets. They seem to offer what you need.

mtbr member
    Have a look at helmets by Red Protection, who are an offshoot of Burton Snowboards. The Trace model in particular sounds like it's what you're after.

They have the usual dirt / skate lid styling but with removeable ear pads for when it gets cold (they don't suck, at least my ears don't think so!).

I have one for boards and bikes and it's great, although I have the Trace Hi-Fi version with speakers in the ear pads

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, i have a Bern that I use for everything from Wakeboarding to Snowboarding. Thin Beanie inside is all you need to stay warm, at least in Tahoe, prob need more if you are in Colorado type mountains
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    just wear the full face shralp tha powpow
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Something to be aware of is that snow and dirt helmets are designed for different types of impacts. They do not meet the same standards. Some full face helmets are marketed for DH and snow use. Make sure you check out the certifications on the helmets you're looking at cause it's more than just removing earflaps that make a helmet go from snow to dirt. Bern does market some of their helmets for multi-sport, but some of those helmets are not certified for any of those sports. I would suggest getting a good snow specific helmet that fits and functions the way you want it to for those conditions. There are a ton of good lids out there. Just my two cents, Smith helmets are really nice with great fits, light weights and stylish designs.

mtbr member
    The Red lids should be good for multisport use as Shaun White uses them for Olympic level snow and skateboarding. Check em out

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    Bern does market some of their helmets for multi-sport, but some of those helmets are not certified for any of those sports.
    That is my problem with Bern. Sure they look good, but the fact that they only have certification as a "hard hat" bothers me. For the price you pay for them (they are rather pricey), they should be certified.

I have a Burton RED helmet also, and I still end up using my Fox Transition one more. It is just more comfortable. Even with the RED helmet, I still never used the ear muff things...just went for a beanie underneath it. For some reason they always let wind in especially when I am going fast. Plus I don't like looking like a helicopter pilot.

The Berns that are certified look whack also...

If you must go snow specific, go RED. Otherwise, any skid lid will do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That might be true, but are they certified for multisport use? RED and Shaun could both easily afford to build one-off helmets with a RED shell or logo that isn't the same as the production models. From what I have seen, the RED helmets are only certified to the ASTM 2040 standard for snow sports specific use, not for skateboarding, mountain biking, dirt jump, or bmx.

Members who have read this thread: 0