Helmet fit question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Helmet fit question

Hey all,
    So today I went to my LBS to get a helmet, not my first my old one is a 1992 Bell that I never wore but maybe 3 times. All my LBS has is Specialized one or 2 kinds and Trek one or 2 kinds. They had a "cheap" one in each brand at $45 and a "expensive" one in each brand for $100. I want to spend around the $45 range so I came home to do some online searching. This is the problem it is all online and I can't fit it. So I know I need a universal fit one, no problem there. I like the Giro Indicator colors and price. Now my problem is how does it fit? I have not seen any reviews on it. I want to know if anyone has a comparison to a new Specialized Airforce or Trek Vapor. The one thing I saw was it was not as padded. The Trek and Specialized fit me very well, with my big head that is rare.

Thanks
    Brad
    1993 Nishiki Manitoba
    2009 Specialized Hardrock Sport in satin bronze
    2009 DiamondBack Lux the wifes

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Have you tried Giro's dealer locator to see if there is a dealer near you that my have them in stock? Any particular reason you didn't want the Trek or Specialized helmets if they fit you good and are in your price range?

On a side note I've used the Trek Vapor and really liked it for it's fit and dial type strap tensioner. Ventilation is the only reason I went with a more expensive model a couple years later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just tried the dealer locator, and my only LBS is a dealer, so I guess I could ask them about ordering one. The problem with that is I don't think they will match the price of any online retailer. So why did I not want the Trek or Specialized? It is not that I don't want them, just heard good things about the Giro, and want to see more options. If I thought I would ride tonight I would go back and get the Trek if I got some confirmations about one review I saw. It said the Giro was not padded as well as others. That is a big thing for me and the reason I don't wear my other and never have. Another is if I can get the Giro for $30 or $35 shipped and it fits as nice why pay $45. Although for $10 I know what I am getting and that if fits nice.

Brad
    1993 Nishiki Manitoba

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh ya they are open on the 4th so it is not to late for the weekend.

Brad
    1993 Nishiki Manitoba

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yea, my local shop used to carry Giro helmets as well until the helmets started getting sold more and more online. They just can't compete with online prices.

mtbr member
    I have the Air Force 3 in XXL and it fits my big noggin great. Very comfy and I am pretty sensitive to pressure points on my head. I can wear my helmet for hours no problem. My only complaint is that the clip on visor does not stay on but that is pretty minor since I wear sunglasses anyways.

responsible zombie owner
    "I have not seen any reviews on it."

Google Giro Indicator reviews and you'll get some. They're generally positive (****).

I have one and like it a lot - it's light, and although the padding is thin the good venting and light weight make up for it. Fit is a personal thing though so ordering online is always a bit of a gamble. I have had 2 Trek helmets from my LBS but they are a bit big for me; I ordered my Giro online and it fits perfectly. The advantage with the Treks is that you can adjust the dial one-handed; the Giro needs me to stop and use both hands. The Trek system is prone to snap if you get rough with it (at least the older ZipTite system, the newer one has stood up better).

mtb n00b
    I have the same helmet. At first when I put it on it was very uncomfortable behind my ears. I noticed that there are extra cushions provided. Placed them in the problem areas and this is the most comfy helmet Ive owned! Good ventilation. Low profile. Nice visor. Should have bought a white one to help reflect the sun better. Black in Arizona... well it gets a little hot! LOL!

You can't go wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Amoroso can't go wrong with what one the Girio or the Trek?

Brad
    1993 Nishiki Manitoba

mtb n00b
    Opps sorry... was talking about the Giro Indicator. Never tried the Trek, so I can't comment.

responsible zombie owner
    If you feel the Trek fit you very well I would go ahead and get it rather than taking a punt on the Indicator. I think the latter is lighter but really fit is the most important factor and most helmets at $45 are well-ventilated unless you choose a skater-style helmet and bake your brains as a result. The protection offered by helmets doesn't vary much either. They're all just polystyrene foam in a plastic shell.

Members who have read this thread: 0