Helmet fit question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Helmet fit question

My old Bell Rubicon Pro is reaching the end of it's life span and I'm trying decide what to replace it with. My main problem with the Bell is that on every ride I get a headache from the pressure it puts on my forehead - in other words, it fits, but could fit a lot better. I've tried on various helmets, and the Giro's seem to fit pretty well...but then the Bell does too until I wear it on a ride. Any advice?

They say I have a problem
    I've got a Giro Havoc and it fits me like a glove. Prior to this helmet I had a Louis Garneau Wings helmet and I thought it fit well too. That is unitl I tried the Giro. The Louis Garneau helmet fit good at home, but once I got riding and got sweaty thing would move around on my head a bit. With the Giro I was able to adjust the mechanism at the back so that the chin strap is basically there for show. It feels like the helmet is fused to my head, but it never causes painor pressure. The best I can say is try it on a ride and see how it goes.

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Two wheels are best
    The newer Bell helmets (at least some of them) are adjustable. I had a similar problem with the headaches because I started wearing skull caps under the helmets. I now have two Bell helmets that are adjustable.

I moved up a size and they work fine...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by trailhead31
    My old Bell Rubicon Pro is reaching the end of it's life span and I'm trying decide what to replace it with. My main problem with the Bell is that on every ride I get a headache from the pressure it puts on my forehead - in other words, it fits, but could fit a lot better. I've tried on various helmets, and the Giro's seem to fit pretty well...but then the Bell does too until I wear it on a ride. Any advice?
    If I remember right, the Rubicon was rounder than most other Bells. GĦro helmets are generally a round fit and Bells an oval. Try on the Be11 XRay. Fits my oval head great.

You should not have much room between your head and the sides of the helmet. With a GĦro I can easily slide my fingers along the sides when the helmet just fits front to back. I can just barely fit my little finger in with the XRay. And do not rely on the head grippers to take up a large amount of space to fit the helmet. It is not as protective or comfortable.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common