Helmet Choices! PlastiDip on a new helmet? Street style bucket vs. standard style?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Helmet Choices! PlastiDip on a new helmet? Street style bucket vs. standard style?

I'm looking to get a helmet. I like what I've seen about POC helmets and the Crane Pure is at the top of my list. The problem is that nobody has it in my size and the color I want. Not even the POC website has the Crane Pure in black/medium. But I can get a white one with black straps for $45, and a can of black PlastiDip for $8. A thick coat of PlastiDip would protect the finish and when it gets scuffed and scratched, I could peel it off and spray it again.

I've read that spray paint can weaken the plastic on helmets because of the chemicals in the paint, but I don't know if PlastiDip causes the same problem. I've sprayed it on plenty of things, but none of them had any structural importance like a helmet (or if they did they were metal). However, I've seen videos of several people spraying PlastiDip on bike and motorcycle helmets. What do you guys think?

Alternatively, I could get a different helmet in my size and preferred color, but it would cost twice as much... at least for one that's not dorky/ill-fitting/heavy. In addition to the Crane, I also sorta like the POC Trabec and I really like the Smith Rover, but they're both $120. I don't like any of the aero-ish, swoopy, pointy kind of helmets at all.

That brings up another question, street style bucket like the Crane, or standard/freeride style like the Rover? I ride street and trail, sorta XC trail, often with lots of tech. Never downhill because we don't have any mountains in South Florida. It's hot here, but I currently ride with a leather skull cap that has zero vents and I'm ok with that, so I don't know if ventilation or lack of it would make a difference to me.

I'm looking forward to hear what you guys have to say.

mtbr member
    If you think a helmet is expensive: think of what it is protecting.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit

Magically Delicious
    What's your head worth?

I've been seriously riding for many, many years and I have personally and up close observed the damage done by a lesser priced helmet. I mean bad stuff.

I don't scrimp on a helmet.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Tons of expensive helmets are factory scrimped. Higher price in no way even remotely means more protection. Sometimes its the opposite. Obviously you should get a good quality helmet, but the guy is looking at poc helmets. They're good helmets.

I wouldnt spray anything on a helmet, its the foam Id worry about though. Solvents and foam dont get along.

Depending on who has what on sale, "good" helmets can be as cheap as 20 bucks.

Magically Delicious
    I wouldn't ride with a $20 helmet.

I bet that you don't either.

mtbr member
    POC make great helmets.

Street style or Bike Park or MTB style?
    The Trabec (and the Tectal as well (both 340 gram size M)) have a kind of sun shade which none of the other helmet types have. The Octal (280 gram size M) is lighter and much more ventilated but if that is of no concern then no reason to pay more for that. What make helmets expensive when we still talk about high protecting quality helmets is when they have to be light and extremely ventilated and still safe.

If you spend long hours in the saddle in daytime a while or light coloured helmet is collecting les heat than a dark or black helmet. Do not overheat your head. Also do not spray anything on the helmet. If you take care of your helmet it will look good for a long time.

A helmet is a long time investment so be sure to find one that fit your head –shape and –size. A too narrow helmet gives a headache after a while. I have bought too many helmets on the internet as there are no bike shops here having anything I like.

Hope you find a helmet to protect you.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit

Magically Delicious

I like the crumpled chrome look...

Name:  511a7c6c8ab24c50c1b071357f0ce892.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  21.3 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Name:  511a7c6c8ab24c50c1b071357f0ce892.jpg