helmet choice

Printable View

• 07-21-2004
    extensive
    helmet choice
    I convinved my gf to start riding with me and she is starting to increse in skill so now we are going on the beginner trails. She needs a helmet but she is worried about it not fitting good because she has thick long hair. We are going to go to the LBS's to try a few on but I was just curious to get some comments on what you ladies wear. Thanks
  • 07-21-2004
    formica
    I wear whatever is on sale but I think there's one called Venus that has a pony tail cut out.

formica
  • 07-22-2004
    CarolinaGrl
    I agree with wearing whatever is on sale. The best thing is to just have her try on several and find what feels best since there is so much variety from manufacturer to manufacturer and pricier helmets have more adjustable parts.

As far as her hair, here is a earlier thread about dealing with that while riding.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=20045
  • 07-22-2004
    catzilla

I find that this one accentuates my dainty feminine side. Of course, it's visibility can be a problem when I'm taking a crap in the woods.

The big brands tend to be different shapes, so a helmet comfortable for one person may be very uncomfortable on the other. If I remember correctly, Giro tends to work for round heads, Bell's are more oval shaped.

Just make sure she gets to try it on before purchasing it. Our noggins are probably the least girl specific part about us.
  • 07-22-2004
    Xtreme_Pink_Racing
    Has anyone seen a helmet that has a bar around teh chin like a football player. it is like full face but teh bar around the front is s sinlge thin bar. the top of the helmet looks like a Giro the way the vents are cut out.
    My parents would like me to get full face to protect the dental work but the heat build up in a down hill helmet is to much.
  • 07-22-2004
    catzilla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme_Pink_Racing
    Has anyone seen a helmet that has a bar around teh chin like a football player.

Sounds like you might be talking about the Giro SwitchBlade. It is essentially a normal MTB helmet with removable face protection.

• 07-22-2004
    connie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme_Pink_Racing
    Has anyone seen a helmet that has a bar around teh chin like a football player. it is like full face but teh bar around the front is s sinlge thin bar. the top of the helmet looks like a Giro the way the vents are cut out.
    My parents would like me to get full face to protect the dental work but the heat build up in a down hill helmet is to much.

What you're talking about is called the Giro Switchblade.
  • 07-22-2004
    catzilla
    Quote:

Originally Posted by connie
    What you're talking about is called the Giro Switchblade.

I disagree.
  • 07-23-2004
    surfkayakers
    helmet choice
    I can get my hair through the back of my Bell x-ray helmet in a ponytail, or pig tails with my Giro Animas (through the straps)...she shouldn't have a problem with doing the same. Both are excellent helmets (think the picture posted-pink is an X-ray)..assorted colors. Mine is basic black (pearls go well with that) and black with yellow (the angry bumble bee look).