Helmet Cams?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Cams?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Helmet Cams?

So, what's the helmet cam of choice these days? I'm leaning towards a reasonably budget oriented solution (hoping for somewhere in the $300 range). Oh, needs to be ready to work with our Mac computers too, no Windows stuff in sight at home or office anymore.

Thanks!

Bandolero

Start Me Up

Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    So, what's the helmet cam of choice these days? I'm leaning towards a reasonably budget oriented solution (hoping for somewhere in the $300 range). Oh, needs to be ready to work with our Mac computers too, no Windows stuff in sight at home or office anymore.

Thanks!
    GoProHD or ContourHD. Both shoot in H.264 with a file format of .mov.

ContourHD 720p was about $180 on Amazon. Price is a bit more but will probably drop.

Sorry about your windows.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Tool
    +1 on notaknob's suggestions. For the $300 price range, GoPro and VholdR (Contour) are the only games in town.

And to save you a little initial research on these, they're very comparable in overall value for the money, but their strengths and weaknesses are different. Each camera has diffent frame rates and view angles at differing resolutions. If you know what your needs or preferences are for these details, it will make choosing one easier.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

vholdr vs gopro for a helmet camera.

The gopro seems like it's probably a fine camera, but because of the shape of the thing seems like it would be awkward to use as a helmet camera. On the other hand the vholdr seems like a great shape to mount on your helmet.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    From doing lot's and lot's of moto and bike videos, I would consider a bullet cam with this:
    https://www.rei.com/product/777251

What I hate most about helmet cam videos is 1) lack of any other perspective 2) the camera sees what the rider sees (basically) so if you turn your head abruptly, so does the camera. From a viewer's POV, that is very ugly and personally, makes me nauseous. With this mount, you can mount anywhere - on the handlebar, on the fork, on the headtube - whatever. You can get real creative with camera angles. I've even used this with my digital camera that does video. It would work very well with the new FLIP video cameras. It stays puts, and you can safety wire it on if you don't feel confident about that.

Here's a flatland BMX video I made. In the opening shot, you can see how we mounted this to the rear peg on my buddy's bike.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/EioZLNc9Dw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/EioZLNc9Dw4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bandolero

He's Frank

One other thing to look at might be a P&S camera. I hadn't considered one until I saw the helmet cam videos from BobRocket.

http://vimeo.com/user672134/videos

He uses a Panasonic TS-1, which is about $400 right now. You'd have a P&S and a video camera.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Bike to the Bone...
    I have just bught the ContourHD camera, but have only tried it on a park. I really like the camera, and I already have a P&S that can take video to add more source in the video, I hope. The Hero also looks pretty nice.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I just got an Epic Wide stealth cam kit, they're designed primarily for Moto usage but the camera has a 168 view, is superlight (about 2 oz), and shoots to SD cards (it'll do an hour on 2gigs of 640x480 @ 30fps with audio). I've tested it indoors and its very much an outdoor light level camera though.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0