helmet cams- Mtbr.com

Thread: helmet cams

bike tester

helmet cams

Any 29er specific helmet cams out there?

No, seriously, what cameras do people use around here? Are there any bullet cams with Image Stabilisation? Or do you guys strap on a full camcorder to your lids?

mtbr member
    I' am also interested in this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Although I haven't gotten one yet, I'm hoping to get a Veho Muvi camera for Christmas.
    -Greg
    Lynskey Ridgeline 29-SL, Truvativ Hammerschmidt, Cannondale Lefty 29er SL w/ DLR (Project321 adaptor). 26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Get a wire camera & strap it to your helmet. 20 grams zip tied to your brain bucket isn't much & then you can leave the recording device in a back pack.

mtbr member
    I have seen movies done with the Gopro camera and the video is awesome!
    http://www.goprocamera.com/

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Most would use a Go Pro I imagine...........

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Went to REI so could return with no questions ask, if I decided things did not work out. In fact, I decided to return the Contour HD (best in that price bracket by far) for the Contour HD 1080p which is absolutely spectacular for the price. People with different needs may have different results. I needed a camera without massive wide angle, I needed to actually see the trail and wildlife as I was seeing it. Wasted some time with GoPro before returning fish bowl cam (the one before the new 1080p version, Contour HD is still even better), good reviews of GoPro fooled me, thank goodness bought at REI.
    http://www.rei.com/category/40005409

bike tester
    does anyone have a side by side comparison of movies taken with both the hd helmet hero and the hd vholdr contour?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    does anyone have a side by side comparison of movies taken with both the hd helmet hero and the hd vholdr contour?
    Head over to youtube and you can find tons of compairions. The stuff I recorded with the GoPro was so bad I deleted it. I have some music videos with the mtb with kids on the Colorado trail I made if you are interested.
    It looks like they have made quite a bit of improvements in GoPro with the HD version. Still is just a standard camera in a lexan (like fiberglass) case. You can figure out a mount for Kodak zi9 for that matter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2c0wY4zSE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRUvQ8dp3bk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdB-qz0Rx6w
    Funny how depend these are on the way it is set up by the user and conditions, etc.
    Like I said, whatever you get, just make sure you can return it if doesn't meet you specific needs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was thinking of getting a VholdR HD... that's one to consider.

I personally do not want a fish eye lens.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon
    Get a wire camera & strap it to your helmet. 20 grams zip tied to your brain bucket isn't much & then you can leave the recording device in a back pack.
    Anymore this is the "ghetto" helmet cam - which is what I have. It is a little cumbersome with all the wires and such (I have audio, too), and limits the mounting positions of the camera to basically your helmet - if you were to mount it to your bike, then become separated from your bike, bye bye wires. And while the camera is weatherproof, the connections are not. It is also tricky to get good audio when you go fast because the wind noise cranks up pretty high unless you have a big foam ball on the mic - which, I think the helmet cam people have all worked out already. I also broke the viewfinder on the camcorder in my backpack while snowboarding (I made an aluminum frame to protect the new one - man, will that hurt if I fall on it). And someone else I know broke the input jack inside the camcorder, since the external camera has to be plugged in to the camcorder - even with a 90-degree adapter it is still prone to impacts and side loads. You also do not have very good start/stop control on your video.

So, a self-contained unit would be much easier. I'm waiting for a lower-priced basic camera that is not wide angle with 1 hr. record time minimum - that fisheye look sux, unless you want to mount it on the bars and see all the funny faces you make while riding (...and if I would quit breaking stuff I'd have some $$$ left for a new camera).

ghawk had the right idea.

-F

mtbr member
    Check out the VIO POV camera. I have one on my motorcycle and it is awesome. However it is pricey...http://pointofviewcameras.com/vio-po...eo-camera.html no affiliation etc..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got a GoPro for Christmas - haven't really had a chance to give it some good use, but playing around with it, it is definitely sweet for the price. Not to mention that they make all kinds of different mounts for it, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    Went to REI so could return with no questions ask, if I decided things did not work out. In fact, I decided to return the Contour HD (best in that price bracket by far) for the Contour HD 1080p which is absolutely spectacular for the price. People with different needs may have different results. I needed a camera without massive wide angle, I needed to actually see the trail and wildlife as I was seeing it. Wasted some time with GoPro before returning fish bowl cam (the one before the new 1080p version, Contour HD is still even better), good reviews of GoPro fooled me, thank goodness bought at REI.
    http://www.rei.com/category/40005409

got examples? I have a $100 gift card burning a hole in my pocket for REI

I know it isn't enough but it's a start

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the go pro wide. I have not had it on my mtb helmet yet but this vid is a sample from one of my polaris razor rides. It works great I was real surprised!!
    <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="https://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/rapdaddyR/LittleSaharashort.flv">

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMiller
    got examples? I have a $100 gift card burning a hole in my pocket for REI
    Here's an example of the GoPro HD, also purchased at REI just in case. This video was taken with the narrower of the two width settings, 127 vs 170 degrees of view. Sorry it's a bit bumpy, but the trail was hard frozen snow, and we're riding fully rigid.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dg6imj-k39g&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dg6imj-k39g&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

For now the worst property I've found for this camera is the uncertainty of just how your camera is aimed. In the future a replacement battery cover is being made available that incorporates a viewing screen, which I'll nab as soon as it's available. Tons of mounts and waterproof, which is really important to me considering our horrible Alaska weather.
    Last edited by EndoRando; 02-20-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Gigantic Hawk
    I've been shooting with a handheld JVC digital camcorder. I keep it in my seat bag until I need it. Generally I set it up on a mini flexible tripod, but handhled works fine too. A buddy of mine works for a motorsports store, so I am hoping to get a GoPro soon on the cheap.

Vids can be found in my sig of stuff made with the JVC.

Leg Shaver
    For what it is worth check this out.

A lot of Dirt Jump and Slopestyle free ride bmx kids are going with a chest strap "bra" to video as well. for some it helps them better critique their body center and hand position on tricks. Cool that it gives you a look at what your bike is doing.

http://www.halorims.com/Halo/halo-halorims_homepage.php

Click on the pat cj link
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Here's an example of the GoPro HD, also purchased at REI just in case. This video was taken with the narrower of the two width settings, 127 vs 170 degrees of view. Sorry it's a bit bumpy, but the trail was hard frozen snow, and we're riding fully rigid.

For now the worst property I've found for this camera is the uncertainty of just how your camera is aimed. In the future a replacement battery cover is being made available that incorporates a viewing screen, which I'll nab as soon as it's available. Tons of mounts and waterproof, which is really important to me considering our horrible Alaska weather.
    Good movie, convinced me of getting the GoPro as well... It just seems like the best deal with all the different attachment possibilities and idiot proof system.

A bit of good editing software treatment and voilą!

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rapdaddyR
    I have the go pro wide. I have not had it on my mtb helmet yet but this vid is a sample from one of my polaris razor rides. It works great I was real surprised!!
    <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="https://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/rapdaddyR/LittleSaharashort.flv">
    Got me a RZR too, lots of fun, looking forward too using the gopro on top my soon to arrive 29r!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been using the setup from www.helmetcamera.com for a few years now (5 - 6). Other than the camcorder in its protective case is a bit large - this is a good reliable, easy to use, setup. I use it for snowskiing, mountain biking, etc. There is a remote on/off/standby switch and a remote microphone. It does require a DVR separate from the helmet camera setup. I use a Sony camcorder and record to miniDV tape.

If you want to hear the audio, the "all in one" cameras like the vholder or goPro don't work very well. All I get is wind noise. I also like to be able to view the video after a take to see if I need to record it again. That requires a means to display the video shortly after you shoot it.

The aiming laser on the vholder is a nice improvement - but I've never used one. For the moment I will stick with what I've got.

mtbr member
    My son got a GoPro for Christmas and I've had a few rides with it.

For the most part, it's not bad but the battery consumption is absolutely ridiculous. Even with the recommended Energizer rechargeable batteries, the camcorder won't last 10 minutes at 0 deg Celsius.

It's also a PITA to keep opening the case, then yank the batteries out, then waiting the 1/2 day to recharge them so that I can record another 10 minutes.

I've since ordered a ContourHD online for $205 shipped. Internal batteries and HD should make a better setup.

Here's a ride I recorded last week on the GoPro:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/afo7A7ut8WQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/afo7A7ut8WQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    The colder it is the weaker batteries in general are. Why do you suppose the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating in your car battery is for?

Here in the harsh and cold Southern California winters the battery power is significantly reduce when its cold outside versus on a sunny day. Same happens to my point-and-shoot camera.

As for needing 1/2 a day for charging AA's, I think you need a better charger. The Rayovac charger that came with my Rayovac Hybrid baterries can charge a pair from dead to good to go in about 40 mins.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you use the lithium batteries you will get over 30 min. of video.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The instructions clearly state to use lithium ion batteries when the temps get cold.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    http://vholdr.com/contourhd/videos?vid=7
    This is a great view of all of them.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    My GoProHD came with a lithium-ion battery, and on my first outing at 25 degrees I recorded for 79 minutes. Battery still wasn't dead, so not sure just how long it may last, but way better performance than what you guys are describing. I've since ordered extra batteries just to have for longer or colder trips (we'll ride into the minus temps on occasion).
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    I have played with the contour, gopro and the vio. I would go with either the go pro or the contour. Both small and great pictures. I dont like the bulk of the vio and the limited mounts. Its kind of cool to have the little tv on it but not worth the bulk and situating the battery.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    My GoProHD came with a lithium-ion battery, and on my first outing at 25 degrees I recorded for 79 minutes. Battery still wasn't dead, so not sure just how long it may last, but way better performance than what you guys are describing. I've since ordered extra batteries just to have for longer or colder trips (we'll ride into the minus temps on occasion).
    My friends have the GoPro HD's. They can go several consecutive weekends without even charging the battery. I think you'll run out of memory first before running out of battery power.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    I've been using an old Vio Sport, but have been seeing a lot of video from this new batch of cameras on the HD format. Within a year, everyone will be on HD and prices will be way down: I saw Chinese companies that specialize in copy/rebrand with HD offereings at a recent trade show. This tells me the dam is broken and the next retail boom season will "get" a lot of new product.

I've been scoping out the current options and deals on Pov. com or whatever it's called... packages are the way to go, but sure pop the "it's only a few hundred" bubble when you see what a full kit goes for, even at discount.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    The instructions clearly state to use lithium ion batteries when the temps get cold.
    I'm well aware what the instruction said. What they didn't say was how pathetic the recommended batteries would be when it's a little cold.

AFAIK, lithium batteries are not rechargeable so even with the better cold performance, you're still stuck with excessive consumption.

Besides the battery issue, the GoPro unit is pretty decent so I would imaging the GoPro HD with the internal batteries would be better.

Personally, I wanted something with a little low profile so I'm trying the ContourHD.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm using the GoPro and digging it. Good MTB videos. Works great on the dirt bike. During a dual sport ride, wide angle showed the surrounding scenery, the trial, and you could read the speed and see the map on the GPS unit. Used it to get some great point-of-view face shots of my 3 year old on her bike. Bought mine before the HD version came out. Wish I had the HD version, but got a pretty decent deal at Sea Otter last year, so no complaints. The downside is I have more video than I have edited together.

Regarding the batteries, check your instructions again, mine would not shoot video with alkaline batteries, regardless of temperature. Could take photos, but not video. A sticker on mine says that you need lithium batteries to shoot video.

The VIO camera looks pretty good and has more features. But for my weekend warrior usage the budget of the GoPro was the ticket. I am very happy with the image quality. I don't get very good or any audio.

syl3, to answer your question, the GoPro is compatible with a 29'r.

mtbr member
    not HD but i use 2 tachyon 2010xc cameras, i attach the camera to my helmet using stick on M3 snap velcro, i like these cameras as they take up to 32g cards,i get 4 hours filming with a 16g card,thay do timelapse and stills,dont film in dark behind an HID light in woods etc.. but will film under streetlighting, waterproof and really tough,click on my blog and the label `tachyon 2010xc` and you will see how i fix them to helmet and bike...
    they also now have a micro camera...same picture quality ,uses 2 AAA batteries instead of 2AA,

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0OkwURNDOY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0OkwURNDOY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Looking at the two videos posted on here, the Go Pro HD by EndoRando and the ContourHD by FritzMAN. I would have to say the CLEAR winner is go pro HD. I am no video expert and this is only my opinion, but if you maximize both videos the ContourHD should not even be called an HD camera...

Members who have read this thread: 0