Helmet cams- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet cams

mtbr member

Helmet cams

So I have been checking out some decent but inexpensive helmet cams, I checked out GoPro's website as well as Tachyon's site. any other suggestions?

Dave
    These guys looked good to me. http://www.vholdr.com/shoot/camera/overview
    I just returned a GoPro. Sucked down the batteries and was a slow transfer rate if you didnt have a SD card reader in your PC. A little to much wide angle for my tastes. 170 deg wide. maybe 90 or 115 would be better.
    I need to ride more and work less.

Pivotal figure
    I love my GoPro, if you use the NiMh batteries the life is much better (it kills alkalines super fast). I also like the simplicity and different mounting options...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Sup?

Second the GoPro

Dove in and read the reviews on the vholdr and one other. There really isnt one that is head and shoulders above the other. one of the others had really jerky video. All of the samples on their site looked bad as well, what with that stuttering video every few seconds. (I dont recall if it was the vholdr or the other one.. )

Here is the shootout site

GoPro sucks down the batteries, you have to get the NiMh batteries in the highest capacity they make. Found mine at Fry's Electronics Lenmar, something or other.

Those energizer lithiums last but they are darned expensive.

If you could fashion a helmet mount for this new Kodak, it might be a good way to go. Will probably pick one up sometime in the future after more reviews come out.

dirt visionary
    I still like my viosports adventure cam 3 yeah I may have to take more time to setup and carry a camcorder in the pack but the video comes out very clear even on my 62" tv . I just wish I could get my video off in digital form as my software/capture deal for my computer only captures at 480 .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Pivotal figure
    Ooohh, I'd totally forgotten to check the capture rate on my computer! Might be something I can upgrade to boost the quality for uploads. Oh yeah, the GoPro site says they have a downloadable upgrade coming out soon which will allow use of an 8Gb (!!) card.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    I still like my viosports adventure cam 3 .................
    PLUS ONE on Viosport Adventure Cam 3 !!!!

It still produces images superior to any competitor I have seen and seems to be the best alternative to actually fastening the camcorder to your helmet (which I have set up on a full-face DH rig). I say this as I continue debating on getting a POV 1.5 just for ease of use. If they still made & sold the AC 3, I would buy another

I just saw one on ebay if anyone is looking ..... http://cgi.ebay.com/Viosport-Adventu...3A1%7C294%3A50

As long as you already have a decent mini DV camcorder, this will be more cost effective and produce far better images than the lower end SD card recorders (IMHO).

The downside is you cant find the cool Viosport (camera mounted) battery packs and other assorted accessories anymore, which is what has me looking at the POV 1.5 now (though my wallet screams in agony
    Last edited by proxy; 04-20-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    PrOxY

Members who have read this thread: 0