Helmet Cams- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Cams

mtbr member

Helmet Cams

Hi guys, i know there is a lot of mixed feelings about quality and price etc on this subject but i have to say ive just bought a Tony Hawks helmet camera and a 1GB sd card to go with it for £100. The quality is fantastic, and after ripping it through roxio dvd builder and adding music over the sound of Gnarly downhilling it just knocks spots off the higher and much more complicated cam systems out there. If i find a way of linking or downloading it on to here you guys can give me your thoughts on the quality but deffinately a few pounds spent in the right area!!
    anyone else have one?
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

mtbr member
    Stick them on www.putfile.com if they are less than 50Meg
    If they are larger try https://upload.video.google.com/ they will take any size, you have to register first of course and Google take a few days to check your work.
    Stay off the brakes :)

KAIZEN!
    Rick, I look forward to seeing your videos!

After being absolutely inspired by riding the sweet singletrack in Fernie BC this past weekend, and after watching some of the beautiful scenery of other's helmet cam's (Pete Fagerlin, etc.), I am now starting to research these beasts. I will do a search on the forum, but any other advice would be great!

Thanks!
    Dean

No, that's not phonetic
    Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by crunchyk9
    March 13th, 2006 at 4:03 pm

Not useful.

My girl got me one of these for XMAS, and I can tell you that it’s really not useful for anything except maybe stationary shots with little movement (video of your cats?). I tried to take it for a bike ride and it just choked on any sort of real video bandwidth. The resulting video was terrible (1, maybe 2 fps) and the sound quickly went out of sync with the video. The software it came with is less-than-useful, to put it kindly.

I didn’t even pay for this thing and I felt screwed… It wasn’t even worth the time it took to mount it to my helmet, which was actually quite a pain. I really can’t imagine what their target market was (Girlfriends that know little of electronics with boyfriends that mountain bike?).

Run away.
    Run far away.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeygod
    Rick, I look forward to seeing your videos!
    I am now starting to research these beasts. I will do a search on the forum, but any other advice would be great!

Thanks!
    Check out my videos below if you haven't previously. They were filmed with a samsung helmet cam.

I go back and forth on the quality- on a good day, I'm very happy with it. In high-contrast conditions or really rough trails, I am not so happy with the quality. But, the thing is so easy to use and very durable- it's survived a year of frequent use including bad crashes and wet days on the shore. Being able to start/stop recording without even taking my gloves off is great, especially since I often ride with big groups. FWIW.

mtbr member

hey the tcheeze i hear ya

but seriously im really happy with it, yes the software is a waste of time thats with it, but with any decent dvd editing software you can get an instant replay of the fun you had earlier including all the daft things people say that pictures cant convey. Im really made up with mine and ok i needed a few cable ties and a bit of faffing around but im getting there and for the price you just cant knock it.....still working on posting trying to get google verification......will let u know as and when!
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just finished building my first helmet cam a two weeks ago and am really impressed with its performance. It is a mini bullit cam shooting 480 lines at 30 frames a second, and is powered by a remote 9volt battery keeping the weight down and off my head. It is recording to a portable DVR with a 80gig harddrive/3.5" lcd screen(overkill) that is the size of a wallet and powerd by a rechargable lithium battery. Off of 1 9 volt battery I am getting about 16 hours of video but just got some new lithium 9volts to try out. Each hour of video is about 1gig in avi format. It makes good dvd quality footage but I am still looking for a better editing software for posting footage on the net.

My next experiment will be bundling a 4gig flash drive with a small lcd and get the size down to that of a small flip phone.

Anyway, here is some xc footage from it with some bad hairband music just for fun.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49157337862124

Anyone have any suggestions on editing software? Not sure I need Adobe Premire but MS movie maker is not cutting it.

Just another FOCer
    Adobe Premiere Elements works well.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks I will have to check out elements, the price is right. Right now I am checking out AVS so I will have some benchmarks to compare.

Members who have read this thread: 0