Helmet Cameras - Please Help!- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

New question here. Helmet Cameras - Please Help!

I need to purchase a helmet camera as soon as possible. I am heading to Colorado to do some riding on November 16th, so I will need the camera before then. I don't really want to spend more than $230 on a helmet cam, but I still want to find one that is durable, with decent quality and resolution. I would also like it to come with a remote control or an on/off switch, if possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what kind of camera I should get? If anyone could let me know which websites to look at, that would be great.

Thanks!

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WAfreerider
    I need to purchase a helmet camera as soon as possible. I am heading to Colorado to do some riding on November 16th, so I will need the camera before then. I don't really want to spend more than $230 on a helmet cam, but I still want to find one that is durable, with decent quality and resolution. I would also like it to come with a remote control or an on/off switch, if possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what kind of camera I should get? If anyone could let me know which websites to look at, that would be great.

Thanks!
    did you post on ridemonkey? I saw your post but was unable to reply... anyways I have teh samsung with a 1gb card, the whole set-up cost me about $500 (thats camera and recorder) check out the link in my sig to DL some videos- cheap thrills and whistler are my faves, plus many local rides there that you are probably familiar with.

mtbr member

Viosport

I have the new viosport camera. I really like the system as I can choose a camcorder to record on and use the lanc to start and stop the camera while I am riding. Really nice resolution. The lense fogs up a whole bunch which is very annoying. I have to unscrew the cap and clean it off every couple of minutes on most rides. If I were you, I would get the cheaper model with the lense cap that doesn't come off so it won't fog. I think you can get them pretty cheap. Also check out the Twenty20 helmet cam, it looks pretty good to me.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Banshee
    I have the new viosport camera. I really like the system as I can choose a camcorder to record on and use the lanc to start and stop the camera while I am riding. Really nice resolution. The lense fogs up a whole bunch which is very annoying. I have to unscrew the cap and clean it off every couple of minutes on most rides. If I were you, I would get the cheaper model with the lense cap that doesn't come off so it won't fog. I think you can get them pretty cheap. Also check out the Twenty20 helmet cam, it looks pretty good to me.
    Which camera do you own? I am looking into a Viosport and decided on the Adventure Cam 3, but if the fogging of the lenses is a constant problem, I may have to rethink to go with the cheaper model.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member

The Adventure Cam 3 is great, especially if you ride in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Which camera do you own? I am looking into a Viosport and decided on the Adventure Cam 3, but if the fogging of the lenses is a constant problem, I may have to rethink to go with the cheaper model.
    Yeah, I have the Adventure Cam 3 with the interchangeable lenses. The fogging is a constant problem when riding in humid weather(TN). The camera gets hot and moisture gets on the inside of the lense. During a ride I take a cloth to wipe the condensation off and any mud that gets on it. If you are willing to stop and check the lense for condensation on the inside, it isn't too much of a problem. But some of my best shots have been really messed up by the condensation when I forgot to bring the cloth. Sometimes it fogs, sometimes it doesn't. It might still be a problem with the cheaper model, but it probably doesn't fog if it's sealed. Hope this helps...

Sep 2004
    dude were are you biking at in co?

Apr 2005
    Pricepoint has one for 140 if you have the camera then you can just plug it in.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/126...met-Camera.htm

mtbr member
    www.hoyttech.com use a mini dv camera. those flash card recorders don't hold much video and extra flash cards are expensive.
    Reign Skate

N* Bomber Crew
    Yeah, I have the Adventure Cam 3 with the interchangeable lenses. The fogging is a constant problem when riding in humid weather(TN). The camera gets hot and moisture gets on the inside of the lense. During a ride I take a cloth to wipe the condensation off and any mud that gets on it. If you are willing to stop and check the lense for condensation on the inside, it isn't too much of a problem. But some of my best shots have been really messed up by the condensation when I forgot to bring the cloth. Sometimes it fogs, sometimes it doesn't. It might still be a problem with the cheaper model, but it probably doesn't fog if it's sealed. Hope this helps...
    Well I would primarily be using the Helmet Camera for Snowboarding. But fogging can be a problem too...especially if I fall and get snow all over myself, then the sun hits the camera with moisture on it.

Please give me some feedback on the Adventure Cam 3. I had high intentions on getting it, but I want to make sure it's quality and will be relativley maintanince free. I snowboard and ride up in the Tahoe area. (Nor Cal)

Hey, that Hoytech looks like a great deal. I will certainly check it out...thanks for the link.
    Last edited by Raptordude; 11-06-2005 at 01:43 AM.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

same problem, different model

I too have the same problem with my VioSport Adventure Cam 2. Sometimes it fogs sometimes it doesn't. I am constantly asking my friends when we come to a stop to look into my lense to see if it's fogging.

Another problem I you get with lipstick cameras is when you are riding through shaded trails with splotches of sunlight coming through. The camera has a hard time with the bright light coming through. It makes footage of the trail/rider hard/difficult to see.

The best conditions are flat or bright light on open area trails without any canopy covering.

The fun thing for me lately is mounting the camera on my bike. I've had it mounted on the bike where the downtube and TT come togethe just behind the headtuber. Recently I mounted it on the frame pointing backwards just below the seat mast area. It came out really cool. The big difference is instead of always seeing the backside of the rider and the trail they just rode; you get to see their face and more of the steepness of the trail/drop they are about to ride. Though the biggest problem with the camera attached to the bike is if you fall you are connected to the bike as well. But when it's on your helmet if you fall the camera and cords are attached to you.

with all the downfalls of it, I've still got some really cool footage.
    good times, fun memories

tep

paparazzi tee
    Quote Originally Posted by tep
    I too have the same problem with my VioSport Adventure Cam 2. Sometimes it fogs sometimes it doesn't. I am constantly asking my friends when we come to a stop to look into my lense to see if it's fogging.

Another problem I you get with lipstick cameras is when you are riding through shaded trails with splotches of sunlight coming through. The camera has a hard time with the bright light coming through. It makes footage of the trail/rider hard/difficult to see.

tep

disposable sno anti-fog cloths work wonders for this,
    n if you get the vio3 you can get the kit o' filters, which makes the hi-contrast shots
    much better.......

Members who have read this thread: 0