• 05-15-2008
    dnoyeb
    Helmet Camera for recording ride
    Anyone know of a good helmet cam and recording device to allow me to record a ride. Something I can stuff in a small backpack that would record an hour or 2 of video.

So far the only thing I have seen that seems feasible is the Archos stuff.

Thanks
  • 05-15-2008
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dnoyeb
    Anyone know of a good helmet cam and recording device to allow me to record a ride. Something I can stuff in a small backpack that would record an hour or 2 of video.

So far the only thing I have seen that seems feasible is the Archos stuff.

Thanks

Here is a link to mtbbill's website. He is a member here and has been doing this for a number of years. IMO he would be the one to talk to about it and you can contact him through his site.
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/
  • 05-15-2008
    nmba guy
    some guys strap a miniDv camcorder to their helmets. my set up is a "lipstick camera" conected to a miniDv in my pack. not quite as good of quality but pretty darn good. theres a a bunch of lipstick type cameras around, i went with the 480 on www.jonescam.tv but viosport makes a few that are pretty popular as well as few other companies, a quick internet search will yeild most. The only thing about the MiniDv camcorder is it has to have an A / V INPUT if you want to use it with an external camera. also pick up LANC wired remote controller for the camcorder, but get it from the camea guys, theirs controls the camcorder in VCR mode which you need for using the external camera
    the camcorders that record on removable cards do not record at high a quality as the miniDv.
  • 05-15-2008
    aword4you
    I don't know how much time it can record, but hubby got a Go-Pro. Whatever fits on 1-2GB. Quality is pretty good for such a small camera IMO.
  • 05-15-2008
    Ken in KC
    It kills me to stroke his ego...
    www.petefagerlin.com will answer all your questions.
  • 05-15-2008
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    www.petefagerlin.com will answer all your questions.

If Pete's got it, you probably can't afford it.

fp
  • 05-15-2008
    oohsh_t
    I second GoPro
    I've had one for about 3 months and it works great!
    You will get 2 hours on a 2 Gb SD

They will have a wide angle lens soon, which helps reduce vibration and makes it seem like you are going faster, I have an after market wide angle lens taped to the case, I was surprised how well it worked.

I also use it fishing & diving.

The cool part is- Its cheap and more versatile compared to everything else I looked at.
    The helmet kit offers several mounting options.
    http://www.goprocamera.com/
  • 05-16-2008
    subliminalshiver
    I have a 5MP HP digital camera that I have rigged to attack to a mount that is otherwise concealed by my helmet visor. It's an extra cam that we had lying around so if it catestrophically meets a tree it won't be a huge loss. It's kinda a DIY GoPro type setup. Most trails I ride around here are pretty bumpy, so there are stability issues if I forget to crank my helmet down.. but the quality is as good or better than most lipstick cams I have seen. And considering all it cost me was about $1.49 worth of parts... it does pretty good. Here's a link to the latest vid I've made: https://www.subliminalshiver.com/Sub...imes_roll.html
    It kinda takes a while to load completely... but you should be able to watch it while it does. Click the arrow in the upper right corner for a bigger screen.
    Anyway... another cheap alternative...
    BTW.. with a 2g memory card I can get upwards of 103minutes of video. With a 4g that takes it into the 200min range. The limiting factor there is battery life.
  • 05-16-2008
    Christine
    I'm all about the Flip cam I got for my birthday. It's like an iPod version of a camcorder. Small, light, very basic. $15 extra gets you the handlebar and helmet attachments. Takes two AA batteries, but only an hour's worth of footage. I'm enjoying mine immensely.
  • 12-28-2008
    black_taco
    Any sample singletrack footage available using the flip ultra?
  • 12-29-2008
    Zothecula
    I've been using a Flip Video Ultra too, with a taped-on wide angle lens and a home-made chest mount. I'd say the picture is at least as good as the GoPro stuff I've seen online, and better than the ATC2K. I've tried posting some of my videos, but I need to find a way of converting them to WMV first (It seems to look better on the web than QT).