Helmet Cam Video of the Sea Otter XC Course- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet Cam Video of the Sea Otter XC Course

Motion Based / Garmin posted this Helmet Cam Video of the Sea Otter XC Course and one of the Super D

XC Course

http://www.motionbased.com/event/sea...tCam/xcVid.htm

Super D

http://www.motionbased.com/event/sea...tCam/dpVid.htm

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow, do you know a way I can save this video and watch it later with no internet connection?

Thank you

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great job...

Now again at race pace!

mtbr member
    Very nice to watch although the sampling rate could be higher. I was surprised at how non-technical the course appeared to be. Of course, they did not show everything.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Very nice to watch although the sampling rate could be higher. I was surprised at how non-technical the course appeared to be. Of course, they did not show everything.
    yes, im sure they edited out every single rock and root in the whole course.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr
    yes, im sure they edited out every single rock and root in the whole course.
    Sorry to disappoint, but really, that's all there is as long as technical parts go. A 1-foot drop on trail 11, and a 2x2 foot square hole, again on the same trail is something to watch for. May be a couple more...

The video couldn't show how bad the sandy parts are though. There are a couple of long downhills where it's basically skiing on sand.

Ali

Feb 2007
    Thanks for giving me something to pass the time at work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    MY GOD!!! Can we get any more boring with these Super-D courses!!! After the Arizona flat-track/Super-D course now this roadie inspired Super-D course. What ever happened to riders having to use there tech riding skills as well as fitness. Please mtb gods bring back Mammoth, Tahoe, even Big Bear Super-D courses where you had to use a mtb bike and skills. Thank goodness its not part of the national series.
    WHOS WITH ME!!!

Derailleurless
    THAT is Super D? Dang...

I fully expected some slightly steeper climbs combined with something a bit more technical. I thought the point was to make it a little too much uphill for a DH bike to do well, combined with some somewhat technical downhill that your average XC race rig would get bounced around on.

That course looks worthy of a road bike dressed up with 48c rubber.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bierman
    MY GOD!!! Can we get any more boring with these Super-D courses!!! After the Arizona flat-track/Super-D course now this roadie inspired Super-D course.
    Let's not insult the many hair-raising Alpine descents by comparing them to this...is it bad that I, as an experienced road cyclist, beginner off-roader, think neither of these courses look at all challenging?

Feb 2006
    Trust Me On The Sea Otter Course. Even Though It Ranks Low On The Technical End And A Roadie Can Race It On Lap Two You Begin To Whish To Be Put Out Of Your Misery. The Climbs Look Longer, Single Track Tighter And If For Some Reason We Get Rain, All Bets Are Off.

The Course Is One Of The Funnest I Have Ever Raced On. Technical, No. If You Want Technical Go To The Fontana Nationals In May OR THE SPING CHALLENGE IN IDYLWILD.

Up In Smoke
    I like that the courses are so simple. The crowd is always so insane that it would just be a blood bath if the courses were more technical. The super-d course is full of some nasty ruts, and hitting that course at 40mph, things can get a little hairy when there is one safe line with 20 guys trying to hit it.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    would race promotors and bike companies and professional cycling powers that be want to keep proffessional races non technical for a reason maybe? obviously, the limiting factor in this xc course is how hard you can pedal your bike. There isnt much limiting anybodys bike handling ability. its going to boil down to power to weight and a little luck. now, why would anywone want to make sure the genetically elite were the only ones able to race the pro race with any kind of success? who knows? not me. i know that all the latest and greatest lightweight parts are going to perform fabulously without fear of getting damaged on any "trails" to each his own. i hope the racers have a blast. this is really a great time for some, and its wonderful for them that thier cup of tea is so celebrated. for the rest of us, i guesse we have to stick to the thousands of regional races that utilize courses that are more suited to riders who dont mind a thing or two in thier way to slow them down, or break their latest and greatest lightweight parts. have a great day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Most races are defined by the local terrain, not the race organizer. Somehow I doubt that there are wild technical trails in the area that are skipped to make this race "easy". If you want to see a highly technical top tier race check out the Mt. St. Anne World Cup. I've seen coverage of the race for the past three years and all I can say was that I was blown away by the bike handling skills of the top pros on some very steep, rocky rooty trails that would have scared the devil out of me. Don't fall into the myth that top XC pros have not guts or technical skills, they have both in spades. Even on an untechnical course like Sea Otter those guys/galls will have it pinned on the downhills, they can't leave anything in reserve if they want to win.

Trying a little
    90% of the experts and up ride hardtails at sea gerbil xc.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    90% of the experts and up ride hardtails at sea gerbil xc.

Whats your source?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Im talkin racing!!!

Listen!!! There is never a crowd on any Super-D course and if there was I am sure they would want to see carnage, thats part of the reason Supercross/NASCAR and other Xtreme sports do so well. I remember coursers in the 90's being 5x as challenging as anything today. And we had more entries and better results over seas.
    We are competitors in this sport and there are dangers if you slip and break a heel well then maybe you should stick to road racing.
    We will never be able to compete with the Euros in DH or XC if we keep all our future riders sheltered with these run of the mill courses.
    I know Sea Otter is limited in what can be used but how about a few man made s-turns, bumps, jumps, rock gardens, if they put the effort forward word of mouth would spread fast and so would the entries, crowds, skill of riders, and hopefully more media coverage.

Up In Smoke
    I dont know who's idea it was to run a super d at sea otter but it was clearly a bad Idea.
    We are competitors in this sport and there are dangers if you slip and break a heel well then maybe you should stick to road racing.
    We will never be able to compete with the Euros in DH or XC if we keep all our future riders sheltered with these run of the mill courses
    Are you serious? I would take a crash on my mountain bike over my road bike anyday.

We cant compete with euros in anything. Maybe on the velodrome, but look around, euros dominate cycling.

Does anyone know who designes the XC course at SO? The course could and should be much better.

Up In Smoke
    Listen!!! There is never a crowd on any Super-D course
    No, what im saying is that the courses are crowded. Racing XC you constantly have to dodge other riders from an earlier start time.

SLO Mtn biker!
    Wow, boooooooring Super-D. WTH? I thought the Super-D's were supposed to have a few technical sections to try to balance it a bit for real mtn bikers versus the billy-goat climbing roadies on hardtails w/1.95 tires??? If they threw in a 50 yard rock garden (far enough to make carrying your bike ala cyclocross an actual disadvantage) where you actually had to have some MOUNTAIN BIKING skills, then you'd be talkin! Guess I'll pass and just spend my my entry fee $ in the vendor area instead.

p.s. jeffh - boring Super-D course, but your vids were great!