Helmet cam video of race in Manhattan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet cam video of race in Manhattan

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just found it today, and had to share. It's a 50meg file, but it's SO worth waiting for. Messenger style race through traffic in NYC, captured by helmet cam! Singlespeed content: count the fixies!

http://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg

If the link doesn't work you can also find it here, under the Friday, October 8th entry:

http://www.memepool.com/

Enjoy!

Brian
    -Porkchop

Oct 2004
    i've watched it 4 times so far

mtbr member

Good job! All i can say is...

Wow.

Crazy.

How, might i ask, do you get your feet back on the pedals of a brakeless fixie after a high speed, no pedal coast, as is seen in the video.

I ride fixed, and I can't imagine trying to do it.

Definitely worth the download.

Feb 2004

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by PBnJ
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just found it today, and had to share. It's a 50meg file, but it's SO worth waiting for. Messenger style race through traffic in NYC, captured by helmet cam! Singlespeed content: count the fixies!

If the link doesn't work you can also find it here, under the Friday, October 8th entry:

Enjoy!

Brian
    I am always amazed at how fast they go and I can see them live on a regular basis.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    watch the other videos on the site, the drunken bike race one is funny. Guy with the helmet cam clipped a car, car gave chase, camera dude makes it to the next checkpoint, middle of a park, 15 couriers there at the same time, car drove THRU the park trying to catch the guy. Then suddenlly realized he'd get himself terminated if he got out of the car.

One of the couriers kept going "get out of the car dude".
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Oct 2004
    yeah man, i downloaded all the videos after seing this one...spend a coupel hours watching them over and over..... That part in the drunkin' video is hialrious...the guy had to be followign them pretty damn close...... But they are all great... looks liek fun up the wazoo... i gotta take my ride to NYC to get some similar action...sometime this year... (im only like 30minutes or less to the city (im in jersey) ...)

Aug 2004
    er, what's the survival rate?

Wish I could ride like that.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    How, might i ask, do you get your feet back on the pedals of a brakeless fixie after a high speed, no pedal coast, as is seen in the video.
    Since the tyres are slicks, I think on the downhill of the bridge, the crazy fixie uses his shoes and use them as brakes, leading edge of the fork of course to avoid jamming you feet and endoing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Damnit I posted that link a couple of months back in the Passion section of the forum. No one replyed and I thought no one watched it or had any interest in bike messengers.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=42125
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie
    I am always amazed at how fast they go and I can see them live on a regular basis.
    That messenger with the rolled up jeans and black & purple striped top and red and white Static gloves on the slicked up MTB is surprisingly fast easily keeping up with the roadies and he is so smooth at pedaling and not mashing like the other MTBikers in the other videos. And that wacko dude on the 20" bike, (seen when riding through the Times Square? area) good-gorly his fast for 20" wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by datako
    er, what's the survival rate?

Wish I could ride like that.
    I'm not a messenger but I do ride damn aggressviely in the CBD but not full bore like these dudes. Man taxi drivers can be such arseholes. (grumble, grumble...)
    "Drinking while cycling" is pretty damn cool as well, the entertaiment only gets better when Lucus gets the close collision. The maddest part of the chase was going against traffic and having that massive truck coming towards him with horns blazing. (starts at about 7:20 throught the video) "Oh my god, it's WILD!"

I'll repeat what I said about the vids "Makes DH-freeride vids look pale, this is scary sh!t!"

mtbr member
    That is just crazy stuff!! I don't know how he made it through some of those cars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

where is the drunken race one????

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    watch the other videos on the site, the drunken bike race one is funny. Guy with the helmet cam clipped a car, car gave chase, camera dude makes it to the next checkpoint, middle of a park, 15 couriers there at the same time, car drove THRU the park trying to catch the guy. Then suddenlly realized he'd get himself terminated if he got out of the car.

One of the couriers kept going "get out of the car dude".
    Can't find this one on the site. Somebody point me in the right direction!!!

-T

Sep 2004
    I didn't bother to wait for it to download. I did rather enjoy the article on how to bang anything you have in your house though.

Thanks for the link. I'll look it up when I get home and have high speed downloads.

Have a nice day, dammit!

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL
    Can't find this one on the site. Somebody point me in the right direction!!!

-T
    http://www.digave.com/videos/
    download "drinking & racing", and freak out when the truck comes thundering down towards Lucas.
    Holy fffffaarckk!

www.justthebonnet.com
    Hey Cereal, I'm in NJ too, and have not much regard for life, so I'd be up for pushing the streets with ya. I usually tear it up around here on the SS, but NYC would be a fartin blast.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PBnJ

Enjoy!

Brian
    Totally F**king amazing!

Anyone know where a higher quality download can be had (or purchased?)

Mig

Jan 2005

First time seeing this

WoW... These guys are nuts, but it was still fun watching the video. I don't have the balls to do what they did. I would end up dead or badly hurt.
    Last edited by Mig; 02-21-2005 at 01:09 PM.