Helmet Cam Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet Cam Recommendations

I'll be documenting a 24 hour race in October and I need some good recommendations on a helmet-mounted camera. We're starting to document the training of the racers this summer.

I already have an HDV camera and think I probably need another SD handheld with night vision for a total of at least three camera setups. The helmet cam can be SD as well, inexpensive options are appreciated since I'm getting assistance with the purchase.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr dismember

You already have it!

Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo
    I already have an HDV camera...
    Buy a protective box for your HD camera and put it on your helmet. The best videos are done this way.

mtbr member
    It's a 24 hour race over a ten mile hilly loop that disallows motor vehicles, I need more than one camera operator to cover the action. Plus the JVC GR-HD1 would be a little unwieldly on top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Buy a protective box for your HD camera and put it on your helmet. The best videos are done this way.

mtbr member
    What's your budget? Can you borrow another camera for some of the shots?

As for a dedicated helmet cam, three popular choices are the GoPro Hero Wide ($180), the VIO POV.1.5 (around $600), and the new vHoldR Contour HD ($300).

I have the GoPro Hero Wide and the VIO POV.1 and neither is any good at night (In my opinion). You might private message one of the members here who just bought a Contour HD to see if they can test it out at night.

Personally, I've gotten good night results from a Canon Vixia HF11:

3rd Person:
    Point of View:

For the 3rd person video, I mounted a NiteRider TriNewt to the tripod.

Best of luck,
    Bri

likes to ride bikes
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'm recommending to my buyer that we get the vHoldR or vHoldR Contour HD to my team member. I'd love to have the HD model, and both are pretty affordable, $100 vs $300.

I'm hoping we can borrow someone's mini handheld with nightvision for a third eye.

Just watched "24 Solo" last week and am using it for inspiration. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0