helmet cam question?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

helmet cam question?

I am probably going to get a viosport adventure cam 3. Any recommendations on the camcorder? I know maybe not the right forum but this is the kind of riding I do and want it to be able to take it. Thanks for input.

somewhere in socal
    i use a sony mini-dv trv-22 that is 7 years old with the adventure 3
    www.dhrides.com

N* Bomber Crew
    Um you have a wide variety of the Camcorders you can use, here are some things to keep in mind:

Format: Mini DV all the way. Do not get a DVD Camcorder, or anything BUT Mini DV. Mini DV has cheap media, you can pack a lot of footage onto one tape, and the unit itself is relativley shock proof. That and the camcorders that use Mini DV are nice and small.

Input/Output: Any Camcorder should offer RCA Inputs which allows you to capture from an external source such as the helmet cam. Each manufacturer has their own special way of accessing this. When looking around double check for this.

LANC Remote: Buy a camcorder that offers a LANC remote, they come in REDICULOUSLY handy and you shouldn't be without it!

Steel Case: Once you get your camcorder march on down to a Wolf or Ritz Camera and get yourself a steel/aluminum case to protect your camcorder. Padded or plastic isn't going to do, protect your investment!

Any other questions I can probably answer.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    thanks raptordude, i will keep all that in mind when choosing and if i have any other questions i'll be asking you

N* Bomber Crew
    I made a guide for helmet cams complete with pictures, here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=205929

mtbr member
    So any HD miniDV (small size) cams out that a A/V input? Seems hard to find any newer cams with them.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    So any HD miniDV (small size) cams out that a A/V input? Seems hard to find any newer cams with them.
    A/V Input?

What happens is the cable you use to view your footage on any TV (A cable that goes from the camcorder to Red, White and Yellow Plugs) can also be a input source as long as the camcorder reccomends it.

Check the compatability charts with whoever company you choose to buy from.

mtbr member
    Viosport has to have A/V in for the cam as far as I know.
    from Viosport:
    " Is my camcorder compatible?
    You can use our Adventure Cams with any device that has A/V Input (analog) capabilities. Most owners' manuals will list this information under the Specifications section. If you can record from an outside source (e.g. your TV or VCR) to your camcorder, then you will be able to use our Adventure Cams. If you are unsure, you can contact the dealer where you bought your camcorder or consult your owners' manual. Most manuals are available online. "

Members who have read this thread: 0