Helmet Cam- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Cam

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Helmet Cam

I'm looking to get a good helmet cam. It would be preferred that the cam be HD but it's not a total requirement. HD GoPro and Contour HD are a bit much for my pocket but if it comes to that, then I guess you have to pay for what you want. Anybody have other suggestions? What are the pros-cons to the GoPro and Contour?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    I was debating this myself and ended up getting the Contour HD 1080p. I personally don't like how wide the Go Pro field of view is. I run my 1080p on 720p 60fps and the video is so smooth and the frame rate is nice for slow motion. I have already crashed hard with it a few times and it is super tough. It even got knocked off the mount one time and was dangling by the leash. I had trouble justifying the cost but having all the great moments/memories on video is priceless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I can only speak about the GoPro HD, and I have to say that I really do like it. This is coming from someone that isn't a wiz on computers and isn't this huge video edit guy either. Its super simple to operate and download to your computer. I have posted a few video's on i think the AM forum if your interested in seeing the quality. Its super slick and small and out of the way. No wires and it comes with several mounts. You can also buy mounts ranging from chest to handlebar, etc. I'm sure you know all this already but I'm a GoPro HD fan. Its hard to find something that is as small, robust, and simple to use all wrapped into one. And if you forget your camera you can actually take pictures with it. Um.....awesome!!!! Not sure if this helps but I'm taking a breather from my home work. I'm back in college after several years in the military, its nice taking classes on-line because now I can drink while I'm class, oooo wait a min, I used to do that back in the day as well, no wonder I didn't graduate haha.

Z

mtbr member
    I hadn't even heard of the contour before this thread, but after looking on youtube, I think I like it better than the gopro. I like that it doesn't distort as much. It seems to have a clearer picture, and it handles shadows and lighting much better. Here is a video of them side-by-side, and there are more like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQ10RamNOg

mtbr member
    Here's a side by side of mt biking footage. I still think the contour looks better...of course that is just opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bCx...eature=related

Pivotal figure
    I'm on my 3rd GoPro (keep getting the new model) and they've been very reliable. For me the biggest difference between GoPro and the Contour is the mounting system.. Both work very well and can handle some abuse. If you don't mind a lower quality video you could check out Epic. It's quite a bit less $ but you do get what you pay for...
    http://www.amazon.com/EPIC-Cam-Black.../dp/B001DTUS2C
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    I like the picture of the GoPro better but for MTB I like the narrower field of view of the Contour. I was contemplating the GoPro for track days out at Firebird Raceway where the wider angle of view is nice. MTB, not so much...

Good to note that both have restricted fields of view in 1080p mode:
    GoPro: 170 in 720p, 960p - 127 in 1080p
    Contour: 135 in 720p, 960p - 110 in 1080p

That's pretty sweet that you can rent them from camarush.com. Try 'em both to see what you like best.

mtbr member
    I used to own an Oregon Scientific. It was pretty good. It was extremely durable and the only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted to upgrade to an HD helmet cam. Only problem is that I didn't ever round up the money to buy the new helmet cam...lol.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    DIscussed extensively in Video forum along with side by side comparisons in DH/FR settings/ Do a search
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Members who have read this thread: 0