Helmet Cam?????- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Cam?????

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Helmet Cam?????

looking for a helmet cam that does not require a recording device. Just a small unit that records to a card. I dont want to be bothered with a lense on the helmet and a wire running to a camera in a back pack. Just want to mount the unit on helmet or frame, record, then go home and download. . . . . . . any suggestions?

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by feanaro
    looking for a helmet cam that does not require a recording device. Just a small unit that records to a card. I dont want to be bothered with a lense on the helmet and a wire running to a camera in a back pack. Just want to mount the unit on helmet or frame, record, then go home and download. . . . . . . any suggestions?
    GoPro. http://www.goprocamera.com/ They have an HD version coming out. There's also the Contour and some others, but I prefer the GoPro for simplicity and durability. Only downside is battery life.

Some helmet cam footage at http://gallery.mac.com/shreddined.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    every video ive seen on a Vholdr camera looked awesome. little more expensive than the GoPro though, but if your into video quality, i think its worth it.

Pivotal figure
    +1 on the GoPro. I've had mine for about a year now and it's never given me a problem. Battery life is an issue but rechargeable keeps the cost down. The videos they have posted using the new HD version are amazing. Can't wait to get one.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have been using a GoPro all season as well. very happy with it but found that using lithium batteries is better than rechargeable, voltage is a little higher which the camera happier. my vids are at www.youtube.com/dagmtb

I have been very impressed with the video I have seen from the Contour HD. a little more spendy but might be worth it to you.

brake later, pedal sooner
    i just ordered the new go pro HD for $220 shipped.

the pre-sale coupon is over now though....msrp is $299+

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow, wish I would have seen the pre order sale deal. Any idea on more deals on the go pro hd? Only thing I wish is that it looked a littlre more low profile like the contourhd...
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

brake later, pedal sooner
    sorry dont know any more deals
    the sale ended on the 24th...i just tried to use the code it does nothing...when i see them on sale price again ill msg you in the future.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by feanaro
    on your helmet??? wouldn't that cut some of your aerodynamics and make you go slower
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Ok
    Vholdr or GoPro, definatley

mtbr member
    The video on GoPro's homepage is impressive http://www.goprocamera.com/

The benefit of the GoPro is the Wider angle lens. It makes a much more interesting video with less shaking.

yeah, uh............bikes
    wait for the gopro HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56
    Wow, wish I would have seen the pre order sale deal. Any idea on more deals on the go pro hd? Only thing I wish is that it looked a littlre more low profile like the contourhd...
    You can do what I did.
    Start a www.loopd.com profile. Then go find GoPro's profile and apply for sponsorship.
    I have a sponsorship from them with a 25% discount. I have the regular Helmet Hero Wide; got it a couple of months ago. After I get a few comps under my belt, I'll probably get the HD.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

FReak
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    wait for the gopro HD
    Got one on back order
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do not get Vholdr. Their VholdR was out 1 year ago. Now there are two 720p and 1080p new models out. One can tell by seeing how they treat existing VholdR customers.

Nucking Futs
    I actually am pissed that I bought a POV. Freaking cable always get's in the way and sadly the quality i'm getting even with a high-end sd card is nothing close to even dvd'ish.(which they claim it to be)

Thinking of selling it and getting one of the new gopro's. Can't beat it imo.
    Amplify Your Žide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sadly, I have POV too. Probably that's why I am extremely fed up with another set-back. $400 here and $350 there. Not right to spend that kind of money every year with new model. They should offer trade-in with amortized good residual value, like other high-end MTB components (unless they don't think highly about their product). My $275 XTR crankset still can sell $150 at eBay after 2-3 years reasonable usage.

Members who have read this thread: 0