Helmet Cam- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Cam

Oct 2008

Helmet Cam

Anyone recommend a good one?

Do it all or nothing
    Try the video forum section.
    If it ain't broken... why the hell you fixin it!

KONA rules!!

If you miss the tranny... don't look down.

mtbr member

Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
    Huh?? That's over $1000, and doesn't look like very helmet-mountable.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    The OP made no mention of cost. He is looking for a "good helmet cam."

It's very helmet-mountable and captures very high quality video.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    See pic; normal and hi def camcorders are very helmet mountable and give the highest qual images--jst see pete's website. However, I tired of the weight and just purchased a vio 1 system i will be trying out at Waco's Cameron Park on Sunday. I'd stay very much away from the gopro. There are some videos of the gopro on dirtragmag.com that demonstrate how unstable the footage out of that "thing toy" reall is.
    Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oct 2008
    Cheers for the replys guys, yeah cost is not all that much of an issue. However I am looking for something reasonably small. Like the bullet cameras you can get. I have found a few but was looking to see if anyone used them and could recommend one.

For now I am using a shitty camera linked to my camcorder in my bag, but last ride I totaled on a wet steep corner and my camcorder isn't' looking to healthy

Lone Wolf McQuade

I went with the GoPro Wide....

I picked it up at IB this year and it's been so much fun. It has a waterproof housing, takes normal pictures every 2 or 5 seconds, and the video is really good for such a small unit. The cost is also a huge factor, it's listed for $189 I think. The waterproof housing also meant dustproof housing...which killed my last lip stick camera. It has a variety of mounts so you can really take it anywhere doing almost anything.... I found out it's a nono on the headboard though

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2023015&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2023015&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/2023015">10-18-08 Boyscout Trail</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user857350">Matt Rozar</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I should be out riding....

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    See pic; normal and hi def camcorders are very helmet mountable and give the highest qual images--jst see pete's website. However, I tired of the weight and just purchased a vio 1 system i will be trying out at Waco's Cameron Park on Sunday.
    assuming that you're talking about the p.o.v. 1 i have to ask... what time you gonna be here?

i've been considering that cam for a while and would love to look at and handle one in person.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    assuming that you're talking about the p.o.v. 1 i have to ask... what time you gonna be here?

i've been considering that cam for a while and would love to look at and handle one in person.
    yes the pov 1. i'm coming up with pinktrek* and jumper from the bell county section of mojo--provided they dont back out OR the weather turn cr#ppy we're planning on meeting at 7ish at the Whataburger in Harker Heights--I'd imagine it would take us an hour, or hour 15 or so to get there--I'm guessing somewhere bewtween 815 and 830is h and I guess the redwood shelter.

i'll be either in a subaru outback with rack on top OR a brand new kinfd of browngold colored dodge ram laramie. jumper usually drives a green wrangler--also new.
    Last edited by ArmySlowRdr; 11-22-2008 at 06:33 PM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    rusty--if there's a change be4 morning i'll post here--or u can call me at two54five3five09sixsix.
    yes the pov 1. i'm coming up with pinktrek* and jumper from the bell county section of mojo--provided they dont back out OR the weather turn cr#ppy we're planning on meeting at 7ish at the Whataburger in Harker Heights--I'd imagine it would take us an hour, or hour 15 or so to get there--I'm guessing somewhere bewtween 815 and 830is h and I guess the redwood shelter.

i'll be either in a subaru outback with rack on top OR a brand new kinfd of browngold colored dodge ram laramie. jumper usually drives a green wrangler--also new.

Aug 2008
    Is this the best one(HaroWide) in term of Video&Photo quality Helmet Cam?
    Last edited by LOVELESS; 11-22-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Life is Good
    Over the summer I picked up a Hoyt and it works pretty good. I got the HC-Pro kit. I can't wait to take it out to the slopes this winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoqvaZCo3Ho

The quality in this is pretty low, I had to compress it pretty good to get it on youtube.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    monogod--thanks for leading the first 1/2 of our ride today--i'm sure we would have been lost with such a lot of the river trail access closed.

the pov 1 footage looks really good. since i let everyone get so far ahead of me all the time i think i'll go ahead and angle the cam up some more. it is better than the helmetcam.com camera connected to a dv camcorder but not quite as good as having a real camcorder ziptied up top.

i'd rather not have the weight; this thing is good. once i get a short 4 or 5 minute "film" put together and upload it, I'll post and PM a link.

Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVELESS
    Is this the best one(HaroWide) in term of Video&Photo quality Helmet Cam?
    No.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    rusty--you can see a video at vimeo yes it is flash but was a 113 MB 8 minute file; looks like vimeo does a much better job than youtube etc in not butchering stuff. Later this week I'll put up a one or two minute unprocessed clip somewhere for you to check out.

monogod--thanks for leading the first 1/2 of our ride today--i'm sure we would have been lost with such a lot of the river trail access closed.

the pov 1 footage looks really good. since i let everyone get so far ahead of me all the time i think i'll go ahead and angle the cam up some more. it is better than the helmetcam.com camera connected to a dv camcorder but not quite as good as having a real camcorder ziptied up top.

i'd rather not have the weight; this thing is good. once i get a short 4 or 5 minute "film" put together and upload it, I'll post and PM a link.

Oct 2008
    rusty--you can see a video at vimeo yes it is flash but was a 113 MB 8 minute file; looks like vimeo does a much better job than youtube etc in not butchering stuff. Later this week I'll put up a one or two minute unprocessed clip somewhere for you to check out.
    "much better than strapping a camcorder to the helmet or other bullet cam systems."

Thanks, that made me chuckle.

FYI, you might want to check your render settings. You're taking a 4:3 aspect ratio video stream and trying to emulate something much wider (it looks like you tried to render to something even wider than 16x9). That's why your riders look like oompa loompas. You've over compressed the vertical aspect to make the footage appear to be wide screen.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    720X480 is what I shot in. I did note that Studio 12 defaulted to 4:3. I right clicked and made each clip 16:9--thus I guess the distortion? Then I rendered to Divx at 704X356 on the advise of vimeo forum "expert".

Anyway we are allsomewhat "big"--really it is not much off I think from what we are. I weigh in at 212 these days and I'm only 5' 10"

Glad u got a chuckle Yes your HD videos are among the best. Just don't want to invest that much and carry around the weight.

Anyway glad to see you're back and keeping it light.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
    "much better than strapping a camcorder to the helmet or other bullet cam systems."

Thanks, that made me chuckle.

FYI, you might want to check your render settings. You're taking a 4:3 aspect ratio video stream and trying to emulate something much wider (it looks like you tried to render to something even wider than 16x9). That's why your riders look like oompa loompas. You've over compressed the vertical aspect to make the footage appear to be wide screen.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    i got the 480 from http://www.jonescam.tv/ a couple years ago and have it hooked up to a miniDv recorder in my pack. not quite as nice as having the recorder on the helmet but a lot safer in my mind, espeically back east where theres lots of limb, laurel, etc to grap big thing attached to helmets

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

link to unproccessed clip

monog--i sent you a PM with the link to the clip on megaupload.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    See pic; normal and hi def camcorders are very helmet mountable and give the highest qual images--jst see pete's website. However, I tired of the weight and just purchased a vio 1 system i will be trying out at Waco's Cameron Park on Sunday. I'd stay very much away from the gopro. There are some videos of the gopro on dirtragmag.com that demonstrate how unstable the footage out of that "thing toy" reall is.
    You again...man. What is your beef against GoPro. Anyway, check out user posts from the new Helmet HERO Wide on VIMEO:
    http://vimeo.com/videos/search:gopro...rmat:thumbnail

and on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc..._date_uploaded

and judge for yourself. Sort by date to see the latest and greatest.

Friendly people rule. Unfriendly people don't...Hi5 friendly people! - GoPro

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPro
    You again...man. What is your beef against GoPro. Anyway, check out user posts from the new Helmet HERO Wide on VIMEO:
    http://vimeo.com/videos/search:gopro...rmat:thumbnail

and on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc..._date_uploaded

and judge for yourself. Sort by date to see the latest and greatest.

Friendly people rule. Unfriendly people don't...Hi5 friendly people! - GoPro

I tried to tell'em
    I should be out riding....

dirt visionary
    Here is a vid I took with my ebay adventure cam3 and canon minidv as the recorder. Been compressed big time but still looks very good and clear. Total cost of setup was 240 bucks. Mount was a bit loose as I was in a hurry that morning .

<object width="400" height="273"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1333626&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1333626&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="273"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/1333626">Geronimo South Mountain arizona</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user452205">clkwrk</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

I found what I was doing wrong with the VIO POV 1...

so Pete F, I found out where I was mis-using for lack of a better phrase. True, the POV 1 at its highest setting puts out a near 4:3 aspect ratio. After a bunch of testing of 20 second clips today I found it ideal to set the VIO at 720X400. Pinnacle 12 Ultimate recognizes that as widescreen without squishing/stretching things. But of course since the resolution had to be lowered the quality is somewhat lower also.

At least I got things figured out. Now that Sony helmet cam---wow, I wished I had the scratch to give that a whirl!,

Pete
    720X480 is what I shot in. I did note that Studio 12 defaulted to 4:3. I right clicked and made each clip 16:9--thus I guess the distortion? Then I rendered to Divx at 704X356 on the advise of vimeo forum "expert".

Anyway we are allsomewhat "big"--really it is not much off I think from what we are. I weigh in at 212 these days and I'm only 5' 10"

Glad u got a chuckle Yes your HD videos are among the best. Just don't want to invest that much and carry around the weight.

Anyway glad to see you're back and keeping it light.

Members who have read this thread: 0