Helmet Cam- Mtbr.com

Thread: Helmet Cam

mtbr member

Helmet Cam

I wanna start shooting some of my rides. So I'm gonna get a helmet cam. Can you guys recommend one?

I want to spend as little as possible but get good video. I also don't want something heavy. I guess I'm looking for, like, the Honda Civic of helmet cams.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't have any expierience with this but I saw an ad in Bike for viosport.com. I checked out their website an they looked like they have some good stuff. Agian, I don't have any further info or expierience. But I have wonderd about this stuff too.

mtbr dismember

Apr 2004
    I got mine from HelmetCamera.com and have been very happy. Good quality, really durable, takes great video.

https://helmetcamera.com/store/products.php?cat=10

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I have a viosport, works great, not as usefull as you think. Look at any bike videos, the best ones are usually handheld camera and or combo of handheld & helmet. mostly you see the trail in front of you. the better video is staged, showing the rider doing something cool

also the viosport requires a camcorder

mtbr member

Helmet Cam

I have this helmet can that is pretty good. Its not the best but you can get it for $80 from ritzcamera.com. Its called the ATC-1000 from Oregon Sport. You might want to get the 1GB SD card upgrade right away so you can get about 1 hr of video on medium res. It will cost you about $140 all together.
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    http://www.twenty20camera.com/helmetcamera.php

this is what ive found. supposedly its phenom.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pdm362
    I have this helmet can that is pretty good. Its not the best but you can get it for $80 from ritzcamera.com. Its called the ATC-1000 from Oregon Sport. You might want to get the 1GB SD card upgrade right away so you can get about 1 hr of video on medium res. It will cost you about $140 all together.
    Any chance you can send me a sample? I'd rather not have to buy a helmet cam and video camera all at once, so the Oregon Scientific cam looks interesting if the quality is half decent.

Of course, what I'd really like is high def 16:9.......

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Search for posts by FM theres a link in his sig to videos shot with the Sony helmet camera. You're gonna have to pay if you want to play. Anything less than a couple hundred bucks is probably going to be grainy and shaky. Also search a user named Tappoix (sp) he had done a video with another camera I believe that also came out awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Total Beginner

Samsung Sports Camcorder $650.00 can.

Plugged it in recorded 2.5 hours of riding.

Downloaded the software, edited down to 30 mins, with titles and music in 4 hours.

Will print it and hopefully post this week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Total Beginner

Samsung Sports Camcorder $650.00 can.

Plugged it in recorded 2.5 hours of riding.

Downloaded the software, edited down to 30 mins, with titles and music in 4 hours.

Will print it and hopefully post this week.
    Hows that cam working for you? I'm looking at getting one of those myself. How's the quality and such?

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    Search for posts by FM theres a link in his sig to videos shot with the Sony helmet camera. .

Actually it's a samsung SC-x105l with a 2gb memory card and extra batteries. The whole set-up can be had pretty cheaply these days, check ebay.

The quality could be better but it's not bad at all, bonus is there are no moving parts, it's water resistant, and very easy to use while riding. The lapel remote is killer.

My page is down but there are the two videos in my signature below for DL. I used iMovie to edit them- you'll need quicktime or iTunes to play them.

Nov 2006

4Kam Helmet Cameras

I got a 4Kam from http://www.4Kam.com. It's great quality at 520 tvl and comes with a bunch of stuff including a separate mic which is handy.

I've already got sony cam with tv-in to use with it but the recorder on the website looks like it might have potential, esp with the SD card etc. If you need both they do a discount for the 2.

Anyways I recommend it if your after one, good cam, good service and cracking value.

J

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You may want to consider the Oregon Scientific ATC 2000, seems pretty set up for a complete camera system for around $100

Here's a link:
    http://www.ambientweather.com/orat18.html
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Nov 2006
    Nah don't bother ATC or Tony Hawks type ones cos they are poor quality. My cousin had one and was really disapointed with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nutterman
    Nah don't bother ATC or Tony Hawks type ones cos they are poor quality. My cousin had one and was really disapointed with it.
    I purchased an ATC 1000 - it's deffinitly more of a toy. I bought it to get my feet wet for video cams. I ended up w/ a Samsung x105 - better choice for a starter system.

Probably drunk right now

this guy makes pretty good videos...

www.petefagerlin.com

I haven't been there in a while but he used to have a section of the site that talked about his set up.

Apr 2006
    i've also had experience with the atc 1000 and would not buy it again. The video quality resembles that of webcam and transitions between light and dark make the picture completely black out. it is a fun camera to play with, but after about 2-3 rides I ended up giving it to my kids so they could take it to the skatepark. There is an atc2000 that just came out, and the prices are really low(on the web for 77 bucks) It is supposed to shoot at 30fps, where the 1000 only shot at 15fps. If you want something that will truly show your rides with nice quality, skip the atc's and shell out for a viosport or something similar. You could also go to Sirbikesalot.com and check out some of his video. He uses a camcorder system and his video looks sick.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here is one I just bought, excellent video quality, 580 lines of resolution and a great price!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/580-Ex-View-Helm...QQcmdZViewItem

Members who have read this thread: 0