Helmet brands -- what's in, what's out- Mtbr.com
    Enthusiast

Helmet brands -- what's in, what's out

I'm almost afraid to throw this question out, but here goes: I'm helmet shopping for a teen, and I am trying to mitigate the "only geeks wear helmets" factor. I'm looking for a skate-style helmet. (e.g., the POC Receptor Flow is one that catches my eye). Are there any brands or specific models that are particularly considered as the "in" thing to wear these days?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Awesome to instill helmet wearing at a young age. When I was dropping off roof-tops to flat and riding half pipes in my BMX days, I never wore a helmet. One time I did a fakie tree ride, clipped the rear wheel and fell on the back of my head - with no helmet.

Now, if I cruise around, my 4 yr. old nephew tells me, "Unca D... you don't have a helmet!" Then I have to put one on.

Have you checked out what they have at danscomp.com?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I'm almost afraid to throw this question out, but here goes: I'm helmet shopping for a teen, and I am trying to mitigate the "only geeks wear helmets" factor. I'm looking for a skate-style helmet. (e.g., the POC Receptor Flow is one that catches my eye). Are there any brands or specific models that are particularly considered as the "in" thing to wear these days?
    the bmx kids seem to be fine with the cheapest skate lids they can find. pro-tec make some goofy colors that the tight-pants crowd like (pink and baby blue and all that) and are pretty affordable.

fox makes a sweet skate style lid that has better venting and is suitable for MTB riding, can't remember the name right now but should be pretty easy to find.

giro is making 2 skate style, the sector and the flak. the flak is pretty well vented and reasonable for mtb use, the sector is a real skate park lid.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    the bmx kids seem to be fine with the cheapest skate lids they can find. pro-tec make some goofy colors that the tight-pants crowd like (pink and baby blue and all that) and are pretty affordable.

fox makes a sweet skate style lid that has better venting and is suitable for MTB riding, can't remember the name right now but should be pretty easy to find.

giro is making 2 skate style, the sector and the flak. the flak is pretty well vented and reasonable for mtb use, the sector is a real skate park lid.
    fox transition

i run a bern brentwood, its very lightweight/low profile (like the fox transition), has a removable cap style visor for those sunny days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    the bmx kids seem to be fine with the cheapest skate lids they can find. pro-tec make some goofy colors that the tight-pants crowd like (pink and baby blue and all that) and are pretty affordable..
    I second ProTec (and I don't wear tight pants, even when riding my BMX haha). I bought mine at the bike shop where I bought my BMX and DJ bikes. Lots of different colors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The P.O.C. is a awesome helmet. Plannin on pickin one up next payday

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeDJ
    The P.O.C. is a awesome helmet.
    They sure must be. I cannot find anyone with stock on the black or white colors in the medium/large size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Still rockin' my old skool Pro-Tec lid from many years ago.

661 Evolution Legend for full face.

Wearing proper protection is always cool, concussions arent, and cat-scans are expensive.

Wear a lid, we all do.

mtbr member
    Pugsley, Bullit

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    Still rockin' my old skool Pro-Tec lid from many years ago.
    Found a local skate store that I believe stocks that brand. When I get back from trip, I'm taking the kid in for a look around.

Members who have read this thread: 0