helmet age?- Mtbr.com

Thread: helmet age?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

helmet age?

I have a specialized ambush helmet, really like it but it is 5 years old. how often should you update to a new helmet?

mtbr member
    Its supposed to be every 3 years for a helmet you wear a lot. From what I've seen of my own helmets, after 3 years its certainly time for at least new pads, if not a whole new helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Given the relatively low cost of the helmet and what it is designed to do I would replace it every three years at most.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    I switch mine out after two years.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think Page is like 60

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I get a new helmet just because I want one. I still have helmets ~8-10 years old that I'll wear at times. I have a damaged a few to the point I tossed them, but that was pretty significant damage.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There have been a few studies done, you can see some analysis at helmets.org on EPS age, seems to be a bit of a myth that it has a low shelf life. Now-UV rays, sunscreens, solvents, cleaners can all degrade EPS and shell materials, but, just a helmet sitting in your shed for 20 yrs, you can see the EPS and shell are usually good, comfort liners often disintegrate and the adhesives that bond shells to EPS will have deteriorated.

mtbr member
    Depending on the crash, deteriorated EPS may be safer. Softer EPS provides better protection in moderate hits. Denser/harder EPS is better for the biggest hits. My thinking on this is may be a bit fuzzy as I have had a number of concussions.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    To some riders, they replace helmets every three to five years.

mtbr member
    I get new helmets every couple years or less only because something cooler looking comes along. I've never "worn out" a helmet. And no, I don't replace them after a hit to the head. Never neve nev been bee be <CRACKLE CRACKLE POP> "please wait while system restarts" Never been a problem.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Cycologist
    I just bought a new helmet and it said to replace after 5 years from the date it is put into use. It is to replace a crashed helmet that is about 3 years old. I was thinking about replacing it anyway as, despite the fact I don't ride out in the sun much, it was really faded.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

since 4/10/2009
    If I wear a helmet for 5 years, it's pretty funky and has had some wear and tear on it. It's time to replace it, even if it hasn't been crashed.

News flash - your helmet gets UV exposure anytime it's being worn. And the heat from being in the vehicle on a summer day is not benign, either.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    If I wear a helmet for 5 years, it's pretty funky and has had some wear and tear on it. It's time to replace it, even if it hasn't been crashed.

News flash - your helmet gets UV exposure anytime it's being worn. And the heat from being in the vehicle on a summer day is not benign, either.
    Yeah, I had a helmet with lighter colored straps and it got to looking pretty nasty. But I figure the helmet manufactures know more about their product and they could have stated replace after 3 years and it would have been to their advantage. I've never had a helmet fade as fast and as much as this one did but it was "retinal burn" so not real dark to begin with.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I get new helmets every couple years or less only because something cooler looking comes along....
    I like to hold onto a helmet until it comes back into fashion. I'm still waiting for leather "hairnets" to come back.
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Yeah, I had a helmet with lighter colored straps and it got to looking pretty nasty. But I figure the helmet manufactures know more about their product and they could have stated replace after 3 years and it would have been to their advantage. I've never had a helmet fade as fast and as much as this one did but it was "retinal burn" so not real dark to begin with.
    yeah, I've definitely noticed lighter colored helmets fading super fast from UV exposure. It seems that the neon colored ones for road/commuting visibility suffer this fate pretty fast.

EDR
    EPS foam is protected from UV rays from the plastic liner on the top. Seems like a non-issue to me. Age, heat and general deterioration does happen over time I'm not denying that.

I've purchased two helmets in the past year. Ended up with two based on comfort and style. The helmet they both replaced was at least 8 years old. I live in Phoenix and during the summer time my garage gets hot as hell. During the extreme heat months I always brought my helmet inside for storage as well as other things like my backpack. The heat just destroys things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I like to hold onto a helmet until it comes back into fashion. I'm still waiting for leather "hairnets" to come back.
    HA! For those too young to remember hairnet helmets...
    Name:  hairnet.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  10.3 KB
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Autonomous
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    HA! For those too young to remember hairnet helmets...
    Name:  hairnet.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  10.3 KB
    Love those classic TDF pics with the elbow to-elbow battles, riders (reluctantly) wearing the hairnet!

Soon to be followed by the Skid-Lid!
    helmet age?-fc30dc46-d90c-4395-ad0c-b6925cd61ecd.jpg