Helmet advice please, I'm having a hard time here...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Helmet advice please, I'm having a hard time here...

OK, I know I shouldn't be worried about the appearance of the helmet because I won't see it when I wear it and it'll save my noggin, yadda, yadda.
    But, I have a fairly large head, I wear the largest off the shelf Bell helmet when I'm doing track days in my car, its big. When I put on the standard aerodynamic looking vented $40 bike helmet at the LBS it looks ridiculous, sits way high on my head and my kids actually busted out laughing when I tried it on, its that bad.
    I used to skate allot about 15-20 years ago and I'm comfortable wearing a skateboard style full head open face helmet and have seen a couple for sale on pricepoint like the dirtlid and a bell, but are those suitable protection for trail riding or is my only choice these ridiculous looking bike helmets?

mtbr member
    Giro Venti is made for larger head and looks good.

http://www.giro.com/en-us/products/c...helmets/venti/
    Life is short-Live it full throttle !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My dad has a huge noggin too, he got the Giro Venti. If the normal helmets fit as poorly as you say, give this a shot.

That said the skate style helmets are certainly acceptable safety & fashion wise, the only problem is you'll sweat like you're in a sauna if it's more than 70 degrees out.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I tried on the giro last night, fits fine but looks ridiculous to me and my kids.
    I am going to pick up a skate style helmet for $15 or $20 at my LBS and if I hate it I'll buy one of the vented ones.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If it looked funny it was probably the wrong shape or size for your head. Try different brands as they come in different shapes (like your head) and different sizes. I prefer Lazer helmets to fit my over sized noggin, but everyone is different. BMX helmets can get hot on your head down here in Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

Members who have read this thread: 0