Helmet advice for a little guy- Mtbr.com
    (not that fast)

Helmet advice for a little guy

Any one have any advice for sizeing a helmet for a fifteen month old and then making sure it stays on his head while riding? He is still a little young to be reasoned with if he doesn't want something on his head. Also, I have been to a couple of different bike shopes for sizing but found that the employees didn't have much in the way of knowledge when fitting a small child. All of the shops had the exact same giro helmets, and all seemed way too big, even when the measurement on the box matched the circumference of his head. I don't remember what that number is and he is sleeping right now otherwise I would go measure it. Thanks in advance for any help!
    FA

Feb 2009
    We had the same problem and realized in the winter time that putting a winter beanie on our daughter's head helped her helmet fit better. so now in warmer weather, we put a summer bucket hat on her head to help her helmet fit better; although it doesn't work as good as a beanie.

(not that fast)
    we could try that, but I think it will make the complication of keeping it on his head + the helmet even more difficult. Also, I'm worried about over heating him in the hot summer months.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    My 17 month old son has been wearing this one for about 8 months now. http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Me2-Infan.../dp/B000FABD0G

It adjusts to fit various head sizes. He cried when wearing it at first, but when he started realizing it meant a ride with daddy, it suddenly became his favorite thing.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Members who have read this thread: 0