helmet advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: helmet advice

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

helmet advice

Hello all
    I pondered where to post this question, and finally decided on general discussion; if it needs to be in a different sub forum, sorry in advance

So, I've always hated the way the "normal" helmet has looked, especially on my small head. However, I'll accept looking silly for better protection. Does anyone have any "crash" experience with helmets like this? Yes, this is a vain question, but I am curious...

since 4/10/2009
    The dorky kind you hate are supposed to crush in a crash, which absorbs the energy and offers protection.

That type is not intended to crush, but rather to be durable. I don't have crash experience with them, but I've ridden with a lot of guys who wear them. Personally, I'll wear the dorky ones because that thing does NOT look like it would ventilate well.

mtbr member
    There has to be a reason that all the dirt jumpers wear that type of helmet.It will absolutley protect you in a crash but I agree with Nate in that it won't exactly be very cool in the ventilation department.

mtbr member
    wore those a lot when skating way back when- worked well, but my head felt like it was in an oven!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

I Ride Alone
    I have a Flak helmet its well used. You can crash more than one time with these hard shell helmets, Bell Faction, Giro Flak,Nd the Pro tec helmets. All about the same.
    I just got a Pro-tec Ace helmet. I like it better.

Not good for cross country rides way hot, but good for trashing around, DH, Gravity or just working on skills!

A better all around helmet would be something like the Giro Xen.
    The Lone Rider.

DPL
    Helmet Wearer
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger
    You can crash more than one time with these hard shell helmets,
    You can't properly crash in any helmet more than once! If it takes a really hard hit it needs to be replaced. Hard shell helmets just handle rough treatment better.

I've worn hard shell helmets for all riding (except when Ive worn my full face) for about 10 years, and it was seeing how easily I destroyed a normal 'dorky' helmet that made me switch. My helmet now is a TSG Evolution which is insanely comfortable and before this I had a Bell Faction, which was also very good. The reason for switching to the TSG was the insane converage it gives me. Far more than any other similar helmet I've seen. As you can see, the back of my head is very well covered and protected. It comes down nice and low everywhere else as well.

It's hotter than a standard helmet yeah, but to be honest I wear a helmet for protection which is something I think this one does very well, so I don't mind a bit of extra heat. I haven't had any serious hits to the head wearing hard shell helmets but I have had a few moderate ones and I've always felt very well protected and safe. If you're used to a microshell helmet, as soon as you put one of these on it feels much safer and more solid. It did to me anyway.

I'd certainly recommend looking into getting a hard shell helmet, and the TSG Evolution is very much the top of my list of favourites.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    The dorky kind you hate are supposed to crush in a crash, which absorbs the energy and offers protection.

That type is not intended to crush, but rather to be durable. I don't have crash experience with them, but I've ridden with a lot of guys who wear them. Personally, I'll wear the dorky ones because that thing does NOT look like it would ventilate well.
    Wrong. The skate/dirt jump-style helmets also "crush" to provide the protection and are one-crash helmets.

Many have a thicker, more rigid outer skin that is harder to ding, but some use the same construction as the "high-end" mtb/road helmets.

I do like that the DJ-types cover more of the head.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    The skateboard helmets are durable and offer good protection, but are more heavy and do not ventilate well. I think that they are also cheaper than mtb helmets, but that really depends on what you want. If your riding consists of more jumps and drops, go with the skate helmet, if it is more XC based, go with a MTB helmet.

Members who have read this thread: 0