helmet advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: helmet advice

Dec 2005

helmet advice

Hey everyone. I'm a long time lurker on these forums but now I'd like to get some advice on getting a new helmet basically what decent helmets are out there that will not cost me an arm or make me look like a mushroom(lol)? Im looking for something in $40-80 range, as getting a new bike has drained my budget a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6opuc
    Hey everyone. I'm a long time lurker on these forums but now I'd like to get some advice on getting a new helmet basically what decent helmets are out there that will not cost me an arm or make me look like a mushroom(lol)? Im looking for something in $40-80 range, as getting a new bike has drained my budget a bit.
    You can find a decent helmet for $40.00, maybe as low as $30.00, but unless you want to go with a skateboard-style helmet and cook your brain pan, you're stuck looking like a mushroom.

Check out the usual websites for Bell or Giro helmets to get some ideas. I'm currently using a low-frills Giro (Indicator?), and I like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Check performance stores. It looks like they are trying to get rid of 05's and they are cheap like 50% off on some decent models.

mtbr member

helmet

A few years ago I did a hard face plant going around 25mph.To make a long story short I have dentures now.Full upper,partial lower.Beyond that I did a face plant on the street riding a bmx bike.Many years ago.Now besides riding mtb the last 10 years,I have also been comuting by bike for 8 or 9 years.I have decided the street is way more dangerous than the trail.So,I wear a full face helmet everywhere.OK,maybe I go to the store a few blocks away without it.I'm old enough now that I really don't care what other people think.Some people still don't use their seat belts.My father had seatbelts retro fitted to his '56 Ford.Safty first.I guess it rubbed off.By the way,I haven't worked since August,no dental insurance,or medical.I'll wear my fullface everywhere.Here's a tip.Get a light colored one with vents for summer.When is really hot you can soke it with water and I think it's cooler than nothing at all.For cold weather I got a black helmet with no vents.

Your bike is incorrigible

check online

Performance was mentioned before, but there are some other places (Supergo and Pricepoint come to mind) that offer some deals. I bought my helmet, a Bell Aquilla, for about $30, and I've been very happy with it. It's not the latest and greatest, but it is fairly light and is well vented.

Oct 2005
    Jenson has the Giro Xen 05 for $80.Good helmet,great ratchet system.Still looks like a mushroom but not such an alien one.Has better coverage than most helmets.

Dec 2005

... and if we just ...

Thanx for all ur advice guys. I just got me a '05 Giro Indicator at LBS for only $30 and im pretty happy with it. I like the way skate-type helmets look much more but they dont vent well enough, and this one actually doesnt look all that bad on me. Still a bit like a mushroom, but then mushrooms arent necessarily a bad thing

Nov 2005
    what if i told you you could have gotten a bell sweep for $45????
    go to hardware store-buy crowbar for $40-go to wal-mart-buy ski mask-go to trail-wait quietly....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 6opuc

i've been using a $20 bell helmet from walmart for 2 years...but i just internet ordered up a nice giro for $80...
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    i've been using a $20 bell helmet from walmart for 2 years...but i just internet ordered up a nice giro for $80...
    Hope it fits. Most Bells and Giros are distinctly different shapes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Hope it fits. Most Bells and Giros are distinctly different shapes.
    me too...hopefully better than the wal-bell i got now...
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Nov 2005
    shiggy once again comes with the knowledge! this is true-people come to me with an idea in their mind of what helmet make they want to buy without trying any on and i always say the same thing- TRY THEM ON!!! giro's fit rounder heads better (ears further apart) whereas bell's fit more narrow heads. I personally fit bell's like a glove.

Dec 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    what if i told you you could have gotten a bell sweep for $45????
    go to hardware store-buy crowbar for $40-go to wal-mart-buy ski mask-go to trail-wait quietly....

LOL... and what if after all that it doesnt fit right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    shiggy once again comes with the knowledge! this is true-people come to me with an idea in their mind of what helmet make they want to buy without trying any on and i always say the same thing- TRY THEM ON!!! giro's fit rounder heads better (ears further apart) whereas bell's fit more narrow heads. I personally fit bell's like a glove.
    some of us live far away...literally 100 miles to the next town

Nov 2005
    i understand, but i'm saying a fact about helmets, not about how easy or difficult it is for you to get one. This thread is "helmet advice," not "my helmet dilemma". believe me, i can relate, i used to live in the northwest territories, canada-not easy to get much of anything up in those parts! happy riding

Members who have read this thread: 0